Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday time for Butt...

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    when the probe slides in like butter in several spots, it's done (no matter what the temp)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    If your goal is to have pulled pork then you will likely find it as tender as C-T S indicates in the 195-205 range. If you want sliced pork you should probably be putting it in a cooler now but I wouldn't cooler it that long til dinner. Looks like the dinner timing means you'll have to have it pulled.

My butt is for lunch & is already in a cooler. :)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks! I dialed it down I checked it on another thermo than my maverick and that one said it was at 197 I don't trust that one though due to numerous undercooked turkey... Man that smell lifting up the dome I just wanted a bite there and then!
    It can be several temps throughout the butt. Especially closer to the bone (if it's bone in). Just go by the maverick and try to slow-boat it until FTC

perfect example. My maverick was reading just 198 so I went and checked it. I thought this was really fast so I checked another spot and it was not ready (still firm). left the probe in there: 181 and probably in the stall! I was too close to the bone in my other spot and it was reading 17 degrees hotter!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Just pulled the smaller one it probed butter like Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos leaving on the larger one as it still had a few spots
    Lynnwood WA
  • double
    Options
    Yep pulled pork is the plan I will be making vetkoek to serve it in.
    Lynnwood WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    oh yeah. Looks awesome.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I've never had vetkoek but it sounds great. Will you cook that in the Egg?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've never had vetkoek but it sounds great. Will you cook that in the Egg?
    Very Eastern European influenced

• double
    Options
    No I will do those on the range been years since I have had and only watched them being made.
    Lynnwood WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That looks really good. I was actually busting you a little because i thought it was a typo!

• double
    Options
    Haha it's a ver traditional South African dish normally stuffed with a ground beef curry or spread with syrup
    Lynnwood WA
  • double
    Options
    12hrs 9 min temp held steady the whole night love my XL thanks for all the help !
    Lynnwood WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh damn. Mine just came off and it is the best I can ever remember doing. Juice is just pouring out of it. Holy cow. I did it at 275 grate temp and it was done at 196. Just gave some to my neighbor and he knocked on the door 5 minutes later and asked what the hell I did and asked for more pork

Mustard, Dizzy, and smoke. Pretty awesome. I'm all fired up now to start drinking

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex-I'm not in the land of "Q" but around here-when the meat goes on it's time for a beer (that would be regardless of the local clock time).  And since there is "no such thing as one beer"...then away we go :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex-I'm not in the land of "Q" but around here-when the meat goes on it's time for a beer (that would be regardless of the local clock time).  And since there is "no such thing as one beer"...then away we go :)
    Yeah- this one was weird. I put it on last night and the fire crashed after it was totally stable. Woke up this am, totally out, butt at 100 internal. This was at 6am and it was a relight so I don't think that counts? I'll defer to your expertise on this matter but my defense is actually that I was drinking and relights don't count. Pretty thin, but I think I can win on a tech

• double
    Options
    A piece of mine may have fallen off for a taste... Definately the best I have ever had seen as its my first one...
    Lynnwood WA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    Options
    Okay Cen-Tex-you get fiull credit for your activities last night-(less the fire making:)) so you likely could win on a technicality.  All's well that ends well-sounds like you really nailed it.  Enjoy since your crew failed to show.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    They did not show up?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    They did not show up?
    Nah. I'm sure they went out and got hammered last night. probably should have called but I never expected them to work Saturdays anyway. They said they were going to but we all know how than changes when somebody is stepping on your hand at closing time when they are walking out for the bar (I've heard that happens anyway)
  • double
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos the finished goods
    Lynnwood WA