Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ThermoWorks Dual Channel Thermocouple Thermometer

Optiontrader
Optiontrader Posts: 174
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone out there used this thermometer?  If so, what are your thoughts?  I'm told it is very heavy duty and very accurate.  Also pricey which I don't mind, if it is as good as what I have heard and read.
Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)

Comments

• 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    I have several of the k type probes and the Mini handheld thermocouple. I plan on eventually getting the dual channel thermocouple as I'll be able to use all the probes I currently have. I like the mini because I can do this Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos That's the mini with the thermapen probe attached. But I definitely want the dual eventally as well. The tripod attachment is pretty cool.
  • 10Driver
    Oh also the mini has a magnetic back so I can put it on the leg of my nest when the wire probe is in the egg. The only pain is it has a short timeout. Good for the battery but instead of being able to see it from the window I have to go out and turn it on each time.
  • Has it been reliable and accurate?
  • 10Driver
    edited August 2012
    Yeah so far. It tested in boiling wter and matched temps on my thermapen. I haven't used the smokehouse probe yet. I'll be using it today though.
  • Thanks for the info.  Looks like I might be making another investment for the good of the Egg.
  • schwaggy
    schwaggy Posts: 17
    edited August 2012
    I bought the least expensive of their kits which includes the sensor on a crocodile clip and the regular smokehouse probe. It's very accurate with both probes, on either channel. However, it's slower at registering than you might expect being from ThermoWorks, but it gets the job done. I switch the probes around a bit during cooks since you can only set the alarm on one channel. Sometimes I want to monitor the grid temp for a while, then switch the A/B channels to use the alarm with the food probe. Used it about 20 hours total now and the original batteries are still strong, and I used the light a few times over the course of those hours.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Summit sitting lonely in the corner...
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    I have the dual channel. I bought the kit with a penetration probe and a clip on probe for the grate temp. It's terrific. Like everything from thermoworks it's very accurate and reads very quickly. The backlight comes in handy on overnight cooks. I'm very happy with it.
    XL BGE
  • Thanks, guys for the info.  I am looking for something that's accurate, durable, and customizable.  It seems that this might be it.  Do you think there would be much added value in purchasing the high temp. probes?
  • I am using mine for a low and slow tonight. So far only used it once but I liked running the long cables from my grill in through my door so I could stay warm. Like so.
  • I have this thermometer and the mini, absolutely love it. I've done a few pork butts and turkey, it works great. I did get the high temp probes with the kit for future use. Now I just need test it with a brisket and I'll be good to go.
    Beth Hardeeville, South Carolina
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    Just out of curiosity, do the probe wires fit under the lid of the egg without leaking air? Or do you need to run the cable through the top vent or thermometer hole?

Do you think it is superior to the Maverick ET-732?

Thanks!

Kyle

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    From their spec sheet - what is the actual temperature rating of the probe?  Thanks
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    From their spec sheet - what is the actual temperature rating of the probe?  Thanks
    -328 to 2372°F (-200 to 1300°C)

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    If that includes the wires, i'm getting in line for one!! 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2013
    krames said:
    Just out of curiosity, do the probe wires fit under the lid of the egg without leaking air? Or do you need to run the cable through the top vent or thermometer hole?

Do you think it is superior to the Maverick ET-732?

Thanks!

Kyle

@Krames run them between the dome and base, over a setter leg, just like the Mav. Assuming you have a top and bottom gasket, it will seal around the cables. 
    The 8060 is a great thermo that is three times the price of a Mav. Mine is bulletproof. It is not wireless meaning you have to be in where you can read it. used only in summer when we sit next to the egg. In winter, the maverick does the thermo duty as it is wireless. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    The wire on the high temperature probe will not survive those temperatures, but it is rare that you would expose it to those temperatures.  I put the probe right down into the burning lump at around 2200 to 2300 degrees and eventually, the covering breaks down and comes off.  However, as long as the two wires aren't touching, the probe still works.
    The Naked Whiz