Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ran out of lump, used briquettes. Am I going to hell?

Options
13»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    HeavyG said:

What's wrong with a little sulfur? 

Many of my favorite foods are loaded with it - eggs, garlic, onions, broccoli, cabbage,

Yum! :)
    Yeah and we all know what those taste like when you burn them.  Haha.

I was at the Hot Sulphur Springs place west of Denver one time.  They have about 20 different pools you can get in, but it all wreaks of sulphur.  Never could get that swimsuit clean.....had to throw it out.
    Vinegar and borax
    Options
    Do they make center cut briquettes? 
    No way because you would only need 1.769oz to cook an entire hog.  How would they make any money at that consumption rate? 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I was disgusted that you where using mesquite lump! Gross! 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    The really bad byproduct in briquettes that no one has mentioned is anthracite.  That stuff can have just about anything in it, including sulfur.  It's cheaper, has more BTUs, and is more plentiful than charcoal fines.....and that why they use it.  There can be very little true "charcoal" in a "charcoal briquette".  They should call them "coal briquettes".  
    That's interesting.  Maybe I'll try briquets the next time I do a New York-style pizza, as most NY pizza ovens are coal-fired and that might be the missing "ingredient" (it's not the water, they scientifically proved that with rigorous bagel tests).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I was disgusted that you where using mesquite lump! Gross! 
    I know, I know.  It's not very forgiving.  But if you have good solid fire, it's completely acceptable.  Not recommended for the novice.  You must have some first hand experience with it.