Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New guy does pork shoulder for the first time

DocWonmug
DocWonmug Posts: 300
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Am I still a new guy if I have done 12 cooks? Including burgers, steaks, ribs, and a couple spatchcock chickens (get rid of those beer cans guys IMHO). All the cooks have come out good to great, most all of them better than a gasser. No problems with temperature control on any of the cooks, some new users report problems, but I just watched the BGE video and it works fine.

Doing my first pork shoulder, everybody says they are easy. Five and a half pounds, light mustard, Bad Byron's butt rub. Indirect (duh) at about 250, a couple of hunks of hickory. On at 8 am, ETA 6 pm. Eastern time.

Photos to follow at the end.
LBGE

Comments

• Atta boy. Sounds perfect.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    As another new guy, I'm wishing you luck.  Did my first shoulder/butt last night.  Sitting in cooler to be pulled for lunch today and BBQ nachos for dinner.  Looking forward to progress pictures.  
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    Mm that sounds wonderful. My cook count is similar and I still consider myself new to it. Be a few years til you can say you have seen most of the things that can happen during a cook.

And pork shoulders are easy. I'm sure it'll turn out fine.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • About to start my first pork shoulder, just curious, plate setter legs up or down?Or does it really matter?
    Still a Rookie after 3 years and always will be learnin'. Love my LBGE!
  • Legs Up with drip pan under your butt. If you put your drip pan, put some type of spacer there (stomped beer cans, balls/Ross of rolled up foil etc). It will keep your drippings from scorching.
  • Thanks Cen-Tex I remember reading about the spacers under your drip pan and forgot about that. Still a "Rookie" I guess. :-)
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Good luck, still a newbie here and making all kinds of mistakes, but lot of good food! Love my egg!
  • Thanks Cen-Tex I remember reading about the spacers under your drip pan and forgot about that. Still a "Rookie" I guess. :-)
    Should be ok. No worries.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Newbie also, some how s;ightly over cooked my baby backs yesterday, but the still were delicious !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
     Put on a six pound pork shoulder on at 8am ET myself. Egg is rocking steady.  Between the efficiency of the Egg and my Maverick it seems like cheating.
    I'm sitting on my couch watching the British Open and contemplating opening a beer.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DocWonmug
    Plate setter, legs up, drip pan. Good idea on the spacers to prevent scorching, but I put some water in the pan. Have done that before on the ribs, and it seemed to work fine.

Egg holding rock solid at 270.

Thanks everybody for you support.
    LBGE
  • YEMTrey said:

Put on a six pound pork shoulder on at 8am ET myself. Egg is rocking steady.  Between the efficiency of the Egg and my Maverick it seems like cheating.
    I'm sitting on my couch watching the British Open and contemplating opening a beer.

Considering my last bourbon was only 7 hours ago, I think I'll wait for lunch :))

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Awesome, sounds like you are getting up to speed fast. If you have mastered temperature control that butt should come out great. Just pull it around 195 - 200 internal temp and you should be golden. Bad Byron's is excellent on butts and should give you a nice bark. It is my go to rub for butts.
  • DocWonmug
    Interim photos at about 5 hours. Looking OK guys? Looks like a split on the right side. Any comments on that?
    LBGE
  • ncbbq
    It looks like it is just the meat pulling off the blade bone. This is very normal and a good sign. When it is totally done properly (195 - 200 internal temp) you will be able to pull that bone right out with minimal effort. That's when you know you nailed it. I think you are on the right track. Keep that lid closed though. If you're lookin you ain't cookin.
  • I'm about 3 hours in on by Butt and temperature is holding steady at 275. Made a rookie mistake by taking the dog for a quick walk while the coals were starting up.Came back from the walk (22 minutes) and the egg was at 700.I could not get the temp down below 400.

Decided to cast my fate to the wind and get the Butt on. Between the lid being open while I set the plate setter and drip pan, along with the wet apple wood chips, the temp settled at 275 and I haven't looked back. I'd rather be lucky than good!
  • ncbbq
    Good catch. Once those ceramics come up to temp, the temperature rises fast if you have the vents set on wide open. It is also easier to get hotter than cooler. It looks like you recovered nicely and should be OK. Good luck.
  • DocWonmug
    The first burst of temperature is always the hot gases rising into the dome. But once the heat soaks the ceramic, it will take a long time to get it back down. Sounds like you caught it in time.

I tweaked my temp back to 250.

More pictures in a few hours.
    LBGE
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Plate setter, legs up, drip pan. Good idea on the spacers to prevent scorching, but I put some water in the pan. Have done that before on the ribs, and it seemed to work fine.

Egg holding rock solid at 270.

Thanks everybody for you support.

You'll find you won't need to add the water or any liquid in the drip pan. I used to have an offset smoker and that trick was required, not so with the egg. Also, no need to soak wood chips or chunk. They won't burn, catch fire, in the egg.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,457
    Legs Up with drip pan under your butt.
    @cantex. you sounded like a mid-wife
    =))
    canuckland
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    I wondered how long it was going to be before someone went there!
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • DocWonmug
    8 hours in, 180 deg. Right on track I would say. I know, "if you're lookin' you ain't cookin'", but it is my first one and I needed to check the timing. Sounds right for 10 hours, 2 hrs/ lb.
    LBGE
  • ncbbq
    Sounds right to me. I think you will be pleased with your results.
  • DocWonmug
    Wife told me to make dessert first..... watermelon martini.
    LBGE
  • DocWonmug
    Pulled it at 190, now resting on the counter under foil and towels.
    LBGE
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Wife told me to make dessert first..... watermelon martini.
    Yum Yum!
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    looks like you nailed it

• ncbbq
    Good job, enjoy.
  • DocWonmug
    The roast pulled perfectly, and we ate that with fresh local crowder peas, cornmeal fried okra, and heirloom tomatoes. We ate so much we are sick. Haha. Some of the best pulled pork I have had, the Bad Byron's Butt Rub was just right.
    LBGE
  • DocWonmug
    Hey guys need help! Now have lots of succulent left over pork shoulder. Should we shred it while it is still warm? Or cool it and slice it? Cool it and leave it whole? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
    LBGE