Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Son in law of the year award?

Options
13»

Comments

• A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    Options
    Sounds good, let me know when you are ready for my address. :))
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,411
    Options
    "better to be lucky than good"-congrats to all who had a role in this adventure.  The end result will be "this is great".  Now you can introduce other goodies to try. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "better to be lucky than good"-congrats to all who had a role in this adventure.  The end result will be "this is great".  Now you can introduce other goodies to try. 
    Yep. I think he will see that it's not that hard and he will start to try stuff on his own. I'll teach him to sear a steak or raise the grid today after lunch and he will have something else to play with for a while
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Definitely better than I thought this story would end. 
    I was expecting more of a Tarantino ending to this story (maybe you and TFJ driving away with a large, and TFJ asking, "who's Zed?" :)

I hope it's great!!!! 
    And I hope it drives him to learn some more of it.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @ tazcrash-great story-line from one of the all-time best movies around :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Thats awesome.

"I have hope for anyone (as long as I can come to your house, build and
    start your fire, choose and buy your brisket and rub, and set you up the
    way I do it)"   Let me know when your available for a trip to Pa. :))
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Definitely better than I thought this story would end. 
    I was expecting more of a Tarantino ending to this story (maybe you and TFJ driving away with a large, and TFJ asking, "who's Zed?" :)

I hope it's great!!!! 
    And I hope it drives him to learn some more of it.

Awesome! I thought it would go down pretty much like that too (again ) . I think he's going to love it. It was just a little intimidating for him at first. He's going to feel like a rock star at lunch today so this should set him on his journey 
  • tazcrash
    edited July 2012
    Options
    @ tazcrash-great story-line from one of the all-time best movies around :)
    Thanks, agreed
      Let me know when your available for a trip to Pa. :))
    And you can stop by NNJ

Awesome! I thought it would go down pretty much like that too (again ) . I think he's going to love it. It was just a little intimidating for him at first. He's going to feel like a rock star at lunch today so this should set him on his journey 

\m/ \m/

LOL
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Freaking home run! It's as good or better than the one I did for the 4th. So glad it turned our for him. Eating now then setting up 2 racks Of ribs for him before heading home.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• lousubcap
    Options

@ Cen-Tex-never a doubt...time for a little celebration.  Gotta love brisket home-runs...that's quite an achievement.  BTW-a question regarding the Ozark Oak-could you tell any difference in the taste imparted by it vs your usual BOTW lump...

FWIW-I find ribs almost as problematic as brisket flats-only savior for them is they don't go south nearly as fast if you run long.

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Looks good Cen-Tex. Nice work. 

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • tazcrash
    Options
    =D>
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I really Like the Ozark Oak. It ashes at about 10% the rate of mesquite. Love the flavor too. Not sure I'm a 100% convert but it's obvious that it is way better quality than BOTW. of course at 3X the price, it should be. Hope these ribs come out. Probably the thing I cook the least. When they are good though, look out. Ingest hem right 1 out of 5. They aren't a tough crowd so I'm sure they will be ok.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback-time for that journey home and a little relaxation-bourbon train is loading passengers...underway shortly.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Amen Cap. Ribs going on in a few and this bus is headed home. He's hooked though and actually my MIL has been All
    over it. Hope they enjoy it as much as we all do. If everything turns out like that brisket, we are in good shape.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This is my dog. He knows where the good stuff comes from no matter who's egg it is.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this follow up- you left me hanging on Monday!!  Yay for your father in law for pulling it off!!!  He is so fortunate to have you Cen-tex, although it sounds like the feeling is mutual.  What a wonderful story-thanks so much for sharing it.  I will be making a brisket with my 14 year old daughter a week from tonight (our second- the first one came out DELICIOUS but dry...).  I have been collecting your wisdom off these pages to try to make the second go more successful.  The food on the BGE is wonderful but the way it brings people together is even better.  Have a great weekend! We have chicken wings going on the egg in about 20 minutes!  Adorable puppy btw.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    Kudos to you for spending the time with him to try and get him going.  I am sure it is a testament to your character.  Cooking truly helps bring families together.  I have an 8 year old who is interested in cooking and baking, i try everything i can do to foster her desire to help.  When she grows up, i am sure she will remember it like i remember my parents.  You never realize it as a child, but when you grow up you always remember the times your parents took time to be with you. 

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks fellas. I'm sure a few people in the know on here are snickering about anything being a testament to my character but I'll take it.

It's been fun but we are ready for some down time. Might not look at a brisket for a while.....but I'll gladly help with yours :)

Have a great weekend and I'm sure we'll all talk soon.

And CC- you are dead on the money. My kids fight every idea we have about spending time together (they are both teens) but we still force it. They really love it in the end and they will remember it all (for better or worse!)

back home, cocktail firmly in hand, headed to the pool. Egg has the night off (I think)

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options

cool--have a good one, and no watermelon tossing!  Fire the egg back up tomorrow.  I may hit the pool myself.  Been a batchelor for a month now, but it is coming to an end.  My wife and daughter have been in Colombia visiting family.  Someone has to stay behind to pay the bills and protect the new egg!  (no complaints, still recovering from surgery)

Be safe everyone!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

cool--have a good one, and no watermelon tossing!  Fire the egg back up tomorrow.  I may hit the pool myself.  Been a batchelor for a month now, but it is coming to an end.  My wife and daughter have been in Colombia visiting family.  Someone has to stay behind to pay the bills and protect the new egg!  (no complaints, still recovering from surgery)

Be safe everyone!

I'm sure I'll fire something up this weekend. I've done 2 briskets (100 miles apart on 2 different eggs) chicken thighs, sausage, and ribs (on the other egg) all in 48 hours. I cooked for 20 at home on the 4th. Enough already....not really, thinking about doin a steak tonight :)