Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hmm, What just happened..... (Pork Butt)

ElDestructo
ElDestructo Posts: 45
edited June 2012 in Forum List
So I bought two pork butts from Costco last night, total weight of 17.5 lbs, and roughly 8.75lbs each (very close to the same weight).  I wanted this to be done at 3p.m. so I put them on the Egg with a dome temp of 250 (Maverick Therm shows a grid temp a little higher) last night @ 11p.m. and I wake up today @ 6 a.m. and they are.....done?!  Probe temp of 206 degrees that I confirmed with a secondary thermometer.

So 1:  I'm not sure what just happened here, I have done pork butt before and never had this issue (only change is I have an after market grate that has bars rather than holes now... but the temp is still only 250 dome).

2:  I suppose I could check the thermometer and see if it is WAY off

Any other thoughts here?  Also, so if we aren't eating until 6 tonight, what do I do with these things?  Take them off pull them and then put it in the fridge?  Suggestions on warming it back up?  (I assume I can just fire up the egg again and put the covered pulled pork back on).

Thanks

Comments

• Turbo butt?
    Maybe it is done, double checked thermometer. If the butts were bone-in, pull the bone and if it comes out clean you are done. Then take the meat off and pull it. Put into refrigerator and reheat tonight with a splash of Coca-cola and some sauce of your choice.  Yes you can use the BGE.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• That's the other thing, they were bone less, perhaps that caused the faster cook, but that had not been my experience in the past.  The thermometer slides in easily but will try a fork and go and pull these suckers.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    What a ride-never seen that quick a cook at that temp.  Follow Billy Grill Eggster's advice but double-check your thermo just to be sure. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Crazy huh?  Here they are before cooking.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Make sure you check the temp from both butts. The other may not be done. Sounds to me that you got a couple really fatty butts. Fat cooks faster than meat. Boy, that was fast though. How do they taste? Do you have a food saver? Even though you're feeding tonight, food savers to a great job keeping food fresh and moist. No coke needed...
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    If you did not have them tied up tight, the inner butt may have been exposed to direct heat.  similar to cutting a hot dog in half to cook faster.....just an idea.

t   
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I'm with T. Those are boneless and with them laid out flat and not wrapped around a bone, i would think they are going to cook faster.
  • I tasted them, they tasted pretty good, perhaps it was due to them being boneless as mentioned.  Well I'll keep them wrapped for a bit before pulling (I figured a couple of hours as I don't think it would safely make it until this evening).  If I just pull and reheat in a foil covered pan back on the egg, maybe a quick spray with some apple juice etc, I'm hoping all will be well.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I have cooked boneless pork butt 3-4 times and I have never noticed a time difference. 
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I tasted them, they tasted pretty good, perhaps it was due to them being boneless as mentioned.  Well I'll keep them wrapped for a bit before pulling (I figured a couple of hours as I don't think it would safely make it until this evening).  If I just pull and reheat in a foil covered pan back on the egg, maybe a quick spray with some apple juice etc, I'm hoping all will be well.

Yes, it will taste fine. No worries. I have actually held foiled butts in a 170 degree oven for three hours and then let rest in towels for a few more.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I made a 8lb and 6lb boneless pork butt at same time, although I staggered their initial start time, and both went for 16-18 hours.  What was the meat initial temperature? 
  • The meat was out of the fridge for an hour or so prior to placing on the Egg.  I believe it was in the low 60s.  I did not tie up the butts, so I'm thinking this may be the main issue, I've always really done bone in before (like the easy "doneness test").  A while ago I opened them and pulled them, of course trying some along the way.  The bark was nice and the meat wasn't dry, I went ahead and put it in a foil roasting pan and tightly covered with foil.

Given I've got quite a few pounds of meat here, and also that I'm in AZ and would REALLY prefer to use the egg rather than the oven on this 105 degree day.  What temp would everyone suggest for the Egg and for how long to reheat?  Should I add any liquid?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited June 2012
    Butts are eccentric things.  The last one I did never stalled.  It short of slowed down for all of about 30 minutes. 

Maybe that is what happened to you.

Tasted wonderful.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Whatever happened it was certainly a shock to wake up and see the temperature.... good job I didn't sleep in.  
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Boneless doesn't matter. If the temp was above 250 cause the thermometer was off your bark would be burnt unedible if you didn't wrap it at all. Did the meat pull or did you have to pull the meat? i did 16.5 pounds boneless not long ago and it took like 18 hours. I only cook boneless as that is what Costco carries and they cook the same as all the bone in I used to cook.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Those look pretty thin, like they de-boned and butterflied them. As long as they taste good, thats what matters. But, I know you were probably planning on 1.5 hr/lb cook time. If you get butts like that again, I would be tempted to tie them up to give them some more thickness.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    edited June 2012
    Mine 8.6lbs (bone in) went on at 10pm last night and this morning at 9:30 it was at 189 internal temp. Egg maintained around 225 all night. It's noon now and it's at 196. People aren't coming over until 5ish. This did not go as planned.
  • Lit:  The bark was nice.

I fired up the Egg a couple of hours before guests started to arrive and threw the covered foil pan directly on the grid with the Egg at a dome temp of ~300.  I finally pierced the foil around eating time and the temp was back up to 160.  While it was probably more dry than right after pulling, it wasn't overly so.  I guess in a pinch this isn't a bad way of going about things if it is unexpectedly done very early.

I didn't tie them, I will do in the future.  Then again, 7 hours for 17.5 lbs of meat would have been nice if planned.
  • Mine 8.6lbs (bone in) went on at 10pm last night and this morning at 9:30 it was at 189 internal temp. Egg maintained around 225 all night. It's noon now and it's at 196. People aren't coming over until 5ish. This did not go as planned.
    You are fine. Foil, Towel, Cooler. They will stay warm for many hours. I like them better after a long rest.

Let them creep up to 200 or so the wrap em up. You are in perfect shape.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    I have had to cook my pork a day early and I have used chicken stock and my rub after pulling. Put in the fridge over night and heated it up at the park the next afternoon. Everybody loved it. 
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    I pulled it and it sat in a cooler for about 3 1/2hrs. Opened it up, it was still steaming and fell apart. Everybody loved it!! Great day w pops and the rest if the fam.