Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough Skin

Options
waynewalker52
waynewalker52 Posts: 1
edited May 2012 in Poultry
I've been buying "roasters" chicken, heating my fire to around 275 to 300, including soaked hickory chips and cooking my chicken - The skin is always tough.  I use the place setter to get the chicken off of the direct heat.  What am i doing wrong?

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Well, I cook at 350, raised grid, direct. I remove the backbone (spatchcock) and flatten the bird. Cover with EVOO and dizzy dust. Cook cavity down for about an hour (165 in thigh). At the very end, I flip the bird for about 5 or 10 minutes. It turns out pretty darn good and juicy.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No need to soak the chips. I know that was not your biggest concern here but no need to soak when egging.

I'm not a huge yard bird guy so I'll let the chicken pros weigh in on the skin.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Rumor has it that leaving the chicken uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours before the cook will make for much crispier skin.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Also a lot of folks here do the chicken spatchcocked raised,direct. If you haven't spatchcocked a chicken, you should google that and give it a try.  So you would probably get crispier skin from doing it direct, even without letting it set in the fridge for a day.  Both together and you might be closer to what you are looking for.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options