Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grease build-up on Daisy Wheel

Options
Jscott
Jscott Posts: 174
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

How do I get this off? It's sticking to the top of my BGE and I have to use a hammer to get it loose.

Can I put it in the dishwasher?

Thanks!

Comments

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    never the dishwasher! put it in the egg when it's really hot 650+ leave it on the rack and let it cook, or throw it directly on the coals...either way you need to re-season it with some sort of oil, canola peanut, something, to prevent rusting
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Put it on your grate and burn the gunk off....store it in the egg while it's still hot after each use and you shouldn't have the problem anymore.

Dishwasher is a bad idea....it's cast iron.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sounds like a burnout is in order if your daisy is that nasty. Get your egg nice and hot and put it I there with anything else you want to get clean. It should pop off when your egg gets hot if you can't get it off beforehand.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    After each cook, I place my daisy wheel in the egg on the grate as the egg cools down. I never have any issues with build up.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    +1 with Travis above-nothing else needed.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Options

Got it, I've obviously missed this step and will correct today with a solo daisy wheel burn!

Thanks!