Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BRISKET!

sierrahotel
sierrahotel Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in Forum List
Cooked my second brisket this past weekend - as the title says, it took 21 hours to cook this 16# monster. Mustard, followed by liberal application of Butt Rub, and into the fridge overnight.  On the egg at 8:30pm Saturday night at 225F. Temp fluctuated down to 180, and as high as 253, but generally was able to keep it in the 220-230 range. Pulled it at 180F, and couldn't let it sit too long - everyone started salivating before I could wrap it up - it didn't help that they were all liquored up and needed food to displace some of the alkyhall . . . . so I sliced up, put some Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy sauce on it, and let them loose. It was an old-time Bacchanalian feast - complete with some BBQ beans and additional bourbon.  All in all, worth every bit of effort.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Looks good to me. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Im doing my first for Memorial Day Weekend. Ive done the Pork Butts and even did a Prime Rib, but the brisket has got me all kinds of nervous. Ive done over 50 of them on my smoker and will go the way I usually do them.

I will post pics and comments after she is done.

I have really been thinking of going Travis's route of the brisket in the Beer and Alegro.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• sjmh
    sjmh Posts: 13
    Personally, I've found the best briskets to just be rubbed with a simple dalmation rub.  Coat the bad boy up with some equal measure coarse cracked black pepper ( you can find it at Smart and Final in a big tub ) and some kosher salt and let 'er rip.

At about 150-160 when I like the color, I foil wrap it and pour a can of Guinness in with it.  Let it get up to about 195 then take it out and put it back on for a bit to harden up the bark.  At that point, I usually pour a second can into the drip pan.

I've tried a bunch of different rubs and marinades and the simple salt and pepper has been the best.  I also like to start simple ( no injections yet, etc ) until I get a real good handle on the meat and how it cooks.  After a few more, I'll probably start experimenting again but for now, I'm sold on simple. :)
  • My favorite rub is paprika and Montreal steak seasoning with some Shiner Bock in the drip pan. Nice bark and good flavor.
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    hapster said:

Looks great!!! I am planning on trying my second this weekend. Going to go with Travis's method as well, looks like it may be the least troublesome for the best results.

I have done it twice now and it is very good.  Super moist.  I am not cutting it well though.

When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2012
    Cooked my second brisket this past weekend - as the title says, it took 21 hours to cook this 16# monster. Mustard, followed by liberal application of Butt Rub, and into the fridge overnight.  On the egg at 8:30pm Saturday night at 225F. Temp fluctuated down to 180, and as high as 253, but generally was able to keep it in the 220-230 range. Pulled it at 180F, and couldn't let it sit too long - everyone started salivating before I could wrap it up - it didn't help that they were all liquored up and needed food to displace some of the alkyhall . . . . so I sliced up, put some Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy sauce on it, and let them loose. It was an old-time Bacchanalian feast - complete with some BBQ beans and additional bourbon.  All in all, worth every bit of effort.
    A few tips for you to try next time:
    1.) If you're talking about the dome temp, get your temp up higher (at least 250 dome).   Won't hurt and finished product and will finish so much faster.
    2.) 180 is way to low to pull.  Take it to at least 195 and as high as 205.
    3.) Find the grain of the brisket BEFORE you start cooking it and cut the corner off AGAINST the grain.  They when you're ready to slice, there won't be any confusion as to the direction to slice it.  It makes a difference.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Thanks choke. I'll try your recommendations.