Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OWNED AN XL EGG FOR A WEEK, WANT TO TRY A BRISKET OR PORK BUTT

Options
2»

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Should I take the butt just the way it is and just rub it and let sit until tonight when i put it on? Or is there some kind of preparation i need to do? Thanks guys.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    Options
    ohh, ok lol sorry. I thought i was being made fun of in a newb way or something because i am a rookie here.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    Options
    so do i need to trim this thing or just rub it and thats it? suggestions?

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options

Rub it and cook it.  Trimming is not needed.  At 205 degrees it all melts away.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Ok, as soon as I pull these baby backs off, I am going to prepare to put it on. I will take pics/video and share.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Pork butt has been on since 10pm last night..i left my house at 8am and the digiq had the temp at 260 just like when I went to bed. I'm still not home but I think it is OK. Its been on at 260 for 13hours as of now. It was 10lbs. Hopefully I'm not overcooking it while I'm not home!

• Cowdogs
    edited May 2012
    Options
    How much longer will you be gone?  What was the temp when you left?
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Less than an hour

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Sorry..260...the digi q has had the temp at 260 since they were put on.

• Cowdogs
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I meant meat temp.  But assumming are EST, you should be fine.  Usually a 10 pounder would take more than 14 hours at 260, but you never know. Is your guru clipped at the grid or the dome thermo?  What was the dome reading?
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I didn't check the meat temp...guru is clipped to the drip pan right next to the butt.

• Cowdogs
    Options

I think it would be fine.  I would not rush home, but I would not waste any time getting a thermo into the meat either.  

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Well, I just got home, 14hrs on the dot, from my kitchen I could hear the digi q sceaming at me! The meat was up to 210.... I hope that is not over done too bad! Pic are coming now.

• Cowdogs
    edited May 2012
    Options

Let it sit out and rest for 20-30 minutes.  Catch the juices.  Then pull it or foil it for later.

Pulled pork starts to dry as soon as you pull it anyway.  I make a thin vinegar BBQ sauce kind of like this http://allrecipes.com/recipe/eastern-north-carolina-bbq-sauce/ and add it to the meat to moisten it up.  I leave out some of the vinegar and replace it with apple juice.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    I took it right from the grill to the foil and in a cooler

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Right on..
    I'm uploading bids of my pork butt and ribs now....

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Lol...I thought about using one of my wifi cameras for that. I have a BBQ guru digi q dx2 monitoring the temps. Did letting my butt get to 210 mess it up?

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lol...I thought about using one of my wifi cameras for that. I have a BBQ guru digi q dx2 monitoring the temps. Did letting my butt get to 210 mess it up?
    Nah- you should be OK. That is on the high end but this is the reason we recommend Pork for you first few low and slows. that would have wrecked a brisket flat.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I had a feeling too, I was with the wife at her eye exam and almost left her there and came back together her just to checkthe grill. But damn I cannot tell you how cool it is to have a fire at 260 through baby back ribs and then a pork butt without having to add coals
    ...go BBQ guru digi q

• LSUTiger1226
    Options
    I did a pork (my wife is North Carolina where pulled pork is a staple) I made my own rub & rubbed it the day before & wrapped it in Saran wrap. I took it out of the fridge 2 hours before putting it on the egg. I soaked hickory chunks & cherry chips for 2 hours. I settled the temp @ 225. It was @ 205 temp I then let it rest for an hour before I pulled it was moist & tasty & the family loved the bark.
    I did a brisket (1st time in the egg) I slathered is with Worcestershire sauce 2 days before & used a dry rub I made & wrapped in in saran wrap & put it in the bottom of the fridge. I took it out 2 hrs before putting it on the egg. That's also when I soaked my hickory chunks & apple wood chips. Being a large brisket it was on the egg for 18 hrs before it got to the 205 internal temp. It was the bet brisket I ever ate & the family members apsaid the never had a brisket as tender & juicy. I let it ret for 45 minutes tented with foil. The bark was so dang good. When my my son says its the best he ever ate made me feel great :). He has eaten across the state of Texas at some of the highly rated BBQ joints. I wnt to do it again soon to see if I can replicate it.
    I did trim the fat cap to 1/4 inch but the next time I am not going to trim it. One more thing .....when you choose the brisket make sure you can fold it in 1/2
    Good luck
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    When he says fold I in half, he means like this (so you know it's tender before cooking)

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX