Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green egg lump

Options
bvanma28
bvanma28 Posts: 57
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever found random pieces of metal in their bags of green egg lump?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    sure. you'll find stuff in almost all brands (i have).

it happens
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have yet to find any metal pieces, but I have found rocks in Cowboy charcoal. I don't use BGE lump, too pricey. (Nor do I use Cowboy lol)
  • stike
    Options
    it's all carbon.  works for me.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    The bags of BGE I have used have all been clean.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    I have yet to find any metal pieces, but I have found rocks in Cowboy charcoal. I don't use BGE lump, too pricey. (Nor do I use Cowboy lol)
    I just bought some cowboy from ace hardware, whats wrong with it? I havent used it yet. Also got royal oak from wal mart, and am going to get the sams club 40lb bag for less than $20 this weekend. I just want to try a few brands and see if there is any real difference.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    It could have very well just been the bag I had, but the cowboy I used had a lot of small-medium pieces, not many large pieces, and a lot of "dust" (pieces that are so small they get caught in the fire grate). I am currently using Best of the West from Sam's, and I have found much higher ratio of large to small pieces. Naked Whiz has a review of both and BOTW gets a lower review, but the review is also 7 yrs old. I liked RO, but for the price BOTW beats it.
  • stike
    Options
    charcoal it literally a mixed bag.

here's the cowboy i have been getting lately.

good medium sized pieces of moderate density. i don't like charcoal that is super dense.  i like to be cooking soon after lighting.

i'm sure someone will tell me why cowboy is not good.  which will negate the food ive cooked on the thing for the past ten years. so please don't tell me how bad it is.

if i can get R/O at a decent price (less than a buck a pound) i'll get it.  BGE is R/O in a fancy bag, at twice the cost.  Ludicrous. unless drBBQ himself is sitting there filling bags by hand, guaranteeing perfectly-sized lump, i mean.  if that's the case, i'm in.

• Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    Yes. Found a long strip of metal in mine.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited May 2012
    Options
    BGE has always been clean - but I got some cowboy with moon rocks and hardwood flooring in it once.  :D
  • stike
    Options
    the flooring is, again,. not reclaimed refuse, just oak

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    I'm using "Dragon's Breath" right now... it's only my third bag of lump (1st was Wicked Good, 2nd was... some Canadian Brand made in Quebec, now Dragon's..

I found what I believe to be a broom/mop handle in it the other day probably about 8" long - tossed it out as I didn't know what it would've been treated with.  Found a couple small rocks here and there (usually after burning them...).

Think I'm gonna pick up a second of each type again and see how they compare again.

Curious though, what does everyone call Large/medium/small/dust? 
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I would also like why so many people seem to not like Cowboy lump?

I have been using it and have got lots of big chunks and it lights quick, burns hot and overall seems to be great.

I can get 20lb bag at my Ace for $12 list and on sale can be under $10. Seems to be a great bang for the buck.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I find different brands of lump identify themselves differently in you food, that they influence how your food tastes. Does anyone else think this? I have only tried seven brands of the many available as my base, but I think this is true. I don't exclusively smoke food, and I think some lumps add enough flavor that it's not necessary. Maybe it's in your palate. Maybe it's price and usability. What do you think?
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I find different brands of lump identify themselves differently in you food, that they influence how your food tastes. Does anyone else think this? I have only tried seven brands of the many available as my base, but I think this is true. I don't exclusively smoke food, and I think some lumps add enough flavor that it's not necessary. Maybe it's in your palate. Maybe it's price and usability. What do you think?
    I agree.  I really like the smoke of Ozark Oak better than RO or BGE.  Humphrey's was a stronger smoke tast than any other I have tried yet.  I just received a shipment of black cherry Hall's Hill charcoal that I can hardly wait to try.  Got some of their Pecan too.  I still have about 3 more cooks of Ozark Oak left in the XL and then I'll try Dragon's Breath next.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• stike
    Options
    R/O throws a little heavier smoke (oak is fairly strong).  Cowboy is a mix of other hardwoods besides oak, and so is a little milder.

The maple stuff in Canada sounds fantastic (never had it myself), and i hear the smell is really nice.

the south american stuff, super-dense, often has a little more ammonia smell to it.  ( ammonia is naturally occurring in many woods and foods)

i don't know of any hickory charcoal... but hickory is my hands-down fave wood to smoke with

• Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    Options
    stike, B and B sells hickory lump. http://www.bbcharcoal.com/products/charcoal/
    My local Academy Sports sells it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Academy ain't up that way yet......but stay tuned.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    Options
    thanks outlaw. those prices compared to charcoal in my area (Boston) are fantastic.

the site is really slow for some reason. trying to find out their shipping costs.  but damn. the prices are great
  • milkman5083
    milkman5083 Posts: 100
    Options
    Stike, I can ship you some if you can't find a decent shipping price from Academy. I've used B and B before; its not bad.
  • stike
    Options
    thanks milkman: first, i have a B&B about 90 miles north.  i'm gonna call and see if they
    really have all these varieties.  i have never seen hickory, maple and
    mesquite lump around here.damn. 

their shipping price is 22 bucks for 17.50 worth of lump. that's a non-starter
    hahaha

• Outlaw77
    Options
    No problem Stike. It is the only hickory I have found in my area. 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    No problem Stike. It is the only hickory I have found in my area. 
    Outlaw - have you tried the hickory by B&B?  I'm curious to see if they have it at the local stores here in Dallas.  It's certainly intriguing.  The maple would be another one I would love to try, but I can't imagine it being down here.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Outlaw77
    Options
    cssmd27 - Yes. All the time. I get it whenever Academy has it in stock. Haven't seen the maple at my store (Auburn, AL). Maybe ill get a surprise tomorrow when i go to buy a bag. And I do prefer the Hickory to Oak/Mesquite.