Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork??

Options
dreben
dreben Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in Pork
Hey ya egg heads!

I got three pork loin roast,  can I use this for pulled pork, or is my family going to think I screwed this up on mothers day.   I know pork butt is what you are suppose to use, just curious what is possibly going to happen and what the repercussion is.

thanks

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    even tenderloins will fall apart eventually.  but for flavor, i would recommend the tried and true shoulder.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options

My opinion, and we all know what those are worth...I've never used pork loin because I think it is way too lean for pulled pork.  That said, here's a link to a great pork loin cook:

http://www.bubbatim.com/Pork_Cooks.php 

And if you search you will find more-but the "search" function here is very weak so google may be your best bet.  I'm sure others will chime in.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Good news is you stl have plenty of time to grab a shoulder before mother's day :). Pork Loins are awesome but I wouldn't do one as pulled
    Pork- especially if that's what mama wants for mothers day.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited May 2012
    Options
    lean just means less flavor, but it will still shred.

my first experience with pulled pork was with a sandwich shop that would slow cook tenderloins (even leaner than the loin) until it became a shredded mass of fine fibers.  then they sauced the ever loving bajeezus out of it. 

but i agree, no sense doing pulled pork unless it's a shoulder.  like trying to make pulled beef from tenderloin.  you can do it, but it's the food equivalent of a mixed metaphor
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    Pork loin is great sliced.  Cook to 145-150 and it will be great.  If she really wants pulled, we all recommend a shoulder.
  • dreben
    dreben Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks. For your help. I will get this figured out yet.