Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sam Ferrise's Pizza Dough recipe

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi Guys,

Sam was kind enough to send me his dough recipe and asked if I could share with the group. Of course he said yes. Here it is:

Thanks Sam!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK Egg Heads,

The following is the recipe for my dough. Use only the ingredients specified to get the time tested and proven results. If you substitute you get what you got! I moved from the Detroit area to Coastal North Carolina. There are no Italian Deli's here so I have to mail order my special needs from Amazon. I pay about $5 for a 1 Kg package of 00 (double zero) flour through Amazon. Each bag will make enough dough to make two 16-18 ounce dough balls. All ingredients must be weighed.. When you make dough you must weigh everything to get the top results. Hard water will turn any batch of dough to crap in an instant. I have been places where I used bottle water to make my dough. Dough in Denver, 8000 feet in elevation, has to be made differently than in Detroit which is roughly 640 above sea level. Now I am at sea level in NC. It is a learning process and there are no short cuts.

1 Kg (2.2 lbs) 00 flour
640 grams Water @ 110-115 degrees F
20 grams Salt (Kosher is fine)
14 grams Brown sugar
10-15 grams Red Star Active Dry Yeast
14 grams Powdered milk
40 grams Olive oil - everybody has their favorite, use a decent one, I use Colivata Extra Virgin

This is a very simple, but elegant recipe that gives you a marvelous crust. 

I use a Kitchen Aid mixer with a dough hook. This recipe is about the max flour you can use with my machine.

Add all dry ingredients, except the yeast, to a separate bowl prior to making yeast mixture.

Prepare your water to temperature. Most hot water heaters will give you the temp you need right from the tap. 
Use a thermometer unless you have done this for 30 years and then you can use your finger. If you get it too 
hot you will kill the yeast.

Add yeast to a bowl with 1 Tbsp of flour. You must feed the yeast to activate it.
Pour in the water and give the mix a few stirs to break up any clumps, don't over do it here.
Let sit for 5-6 minutes and you will see the yeast foaming to the top.
Pour yeast slurry into mixing bowl first then add the oil.
Add the flour mix, attach hook and mix for 6-8 minutes .
Do not cheat mix time. The gluten needs to form to make a good crust. Working the dough does this.

The dough should be firm and not too sticky. Stop the mix and remove hook and dough from bowl.
Gently form the dough into a ball. Add about a Tbsp oil any oil to bowl and spread it around the inside of bowl.
Put the dough into the bowl and cover it with a towel place in a draft free area for 60-90 minutes. It will double
in size. Get out your scale and get ready to roll. My method of stretching out my dough to make the round or square
pan crusts does not translate to writing well so you are on your own. It is a feel that comes from experience. 

The size dough balls I have used are:

8 oz for a personal size pizza about 8" diameter
10 oz for two person pie
12 oz for Calzones
14 oz for what the pizza chains call a Large Pizza. This is the max size I use in my Egg

Weigh it out then form roll the dough firmly into balls.. Oil a cookie sheet liberally with canola oil.
Put the balls down on oiled tray and roll around to coat with the oil.
Cover with food wrap film or put whole tray in a garbage bag.
You must let the dough proof in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours before using. It will continue to rise. 
Remove from cold about 30 minutes before use. 

Sauce is like shoes. Everybody has their own mix. This recipe was used in most of my father's pizza places over 40 years.
We would make 5 gallons at a time. This is a home break down of that recipe, and it is very good.
This recipe will make enough sauce for 4- 6 pizzas and have extra for dipping.

1 - 15 oz can Hunts Tomato Sauce plus one can of water, but do not mix all at once.
Hold back on some of the water. Some people like thick sauce, some like thin.
1 - small can of Progresso or Cento tomato paste
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp crushed oregano
1 Tbsp parsley flakes or chopped fresh to your taste
1 Tsp crushed sweet basil or chopped fresh to your taste
1 Tbsp or less sugar
1/2 Tsp or more garlic powder or chopped fresh to your taste, too much will get bitter

Mix all ingredients and put in fridge for 4-6 hours to marinate.
Take out 1- 2 hours before use. Before you make your pies check the water
content. If it is too thick your pies will be muddy. You want the cheese to flow.

Cook pizza in your range oven on a baking stone at 450-500 degrees. I have seen times
vary from 8 to 16 minutes.
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments