Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wet egg.

Options
tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK, so I had a long cook out in the rain and drizzle last week. I guess I covered my egg while it was still wet, or the inside of the cover got wet. 
On Friday before a pizza run (It's still not right, but closer.) I emptied the ash, and found it almost sand colored, and "clingy". I also noticed a fog in the tel-tru.
When I lit the new lump in the egg, I noticed the outside seemed to be steaming on the left side.   

So I need to be more careful covering it. 

$.02

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There's all sorts of peculiar things that can happen with excess moisture. The only one that was kind of a problem was when I didn't swap the daisy for the ceramic cap at the end of a cook. The top was open to rain for 2 days. A few days later, I found that the ash under the grate had turned to "cement." Lots of scraping and cussing to get that off.

Chalk up to experience.

The weirdest was when the Egg started sweating black ooze. I don't recall if it had been covered or not, but it hadn't been used for a couple weeks in late winter. Went thru lots of snow, sleet, rain, etc. Once I fired it up, the moisture that had permeated the ceramic sweated out, carrying soot with it. Nasty looking, but just needed a wash with dish soap to remove.
  • erickpanger
    Options
    I never cover mine and it sweats if I haven't used it since the last rain. Never seems to be an issue.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mine's been uncovered for 7 years in the elements. No sweat and no issues of any kind

It's been rained in a few times. No biggie but does make the ash a little nasty.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX