Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET-732 problems

ShaneF
ShaneF Posts: 26
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought my Maverick ET-732 less than a month ago and it is already malfunctioning.  I have only used it to cook 2 pork shoulders and 2 spatchcock chickens, so the temp has never been above 300(The box states that it is rated up to 500).  Last night I prepared a brisket, trimmed it up, seasoned, fired up the egg and once I had my platesetter, and grid on I attached the grid probe and was about ready to start smoking and the temp was flashing "LLL."  I assumed that this meant low batteries, and figured I would go out and get them once we meat was on.  I stabilized the Egg using the gauge, and put the brisket on, putting the other probe in the meat.  after about 5 minutes the grid temp was bouncing from 300+ to 68 degrees!  It was 80 degrees outside!  I replaced the batteries and retired and then it beganflashing HHH.  The meat temp was working, but it was the grid temp I was worried about since it was an overnight cook and I knew it wouldnt be ready until around lunch anyways.  I am very disappointed in my Maverick, especially after reading so many great reviews on here.  Has nobody else had this problem?  It was disappointing especially considering that this was my first brisket so a lot of time and research have gone into trying to make everything perfect, just to have my thermometer crap out at go time!  I will call customer service and see if there is anything they can do for me.  From the post earlier it sounds like they are pretty good.  I will keep yall updated!

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    One thing I can tell you from killing multiple temp probes is to keep those probes DRY! 
    Do not let water get near the end where the wire goes into the metal tube. 

So far with my 732, I've done about half a dozen cooks, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • I've gone through many of them; they usually last 6-9 months for me. I get pissed and go without for a while (I don't use them much anymore anyway) and then get a new one for some reason or another. I have 2 perfect less than 1 yr old E-72 that have bad probes in my drawer and a new 732 that is working fine for now. I dunno, guys on here have had them for 7 years. I'm lucky to get 7 months. Hope this one works better but I'm not sold on these things....actually that's hard to say when I keep buying them even when I know the are unreliable (for me). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ShaneF
    ShaneF Posts: 26

Mine hasn't touched water, except possibly steam from the apple juice drip pan.  I called maverick and they told me that I need to send them the damaged probe and if it is covered under warranty they will send me a new one.  I am pretty dissapointed with their service being that on their website it says "If the probe is still under warranty please either call or email our customer service department with the model # of your unit and we’ll replace it free of charge."  I just don't feel like waiting in line at the post office, then probably waiting a few weeks before I get the replacement probe IF its covered.  I paid $70 for a thermometer less than a month ago and have only used it 4 times.  Send me a friggin probe already!

• jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    edited April 2012
    I have had the HHH come on display when one of the probes was not fully inserted into the jack socket, I get your frustration, it sucks when you spend that much and it does not work.. However I did purchase a spare set of probes when I bought my mav in anticipation of them dying, I had read that they were the weak part, but after heavy use they have survived, mainly I believe because I took the advice of eggheads and wrapped the exposed ends in foil and made sure not to get the connections wet. Replacement probes are relatively cheap anyway.
  • CAWjr
    CAWjr Posts: 25
    I bought an ET-732 last weekend & just got confirmation that it is being delivered on Monday (fricking Amazon!).

Has anyone found a way to insure that these issues do not occur?  Aside from the water recommendation, and the obvious of not leaving it outside when not in use, what are some other tips to keep this seemingly sensitive piece of hardware in working order?
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I also wrap the probe and wire with foil to help diffuse heat, or just keep wire clean.
    Also dont let probe contact grid or egg.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I have had the HHH come on display when one of the probes was not fully inserted into the jack socket, I get your frustration, it sucks when you spend that much and it does not work.. However I did purchase a spare set of probes when I bought my mav in anticipation of them dying, I had read that they were the weak part, but after heavy use they have survived, mainly I believe because I took the advice of eggheads and wrapped the exposed ends in foil and made sure not to get the connections wet. Replacement probes are relatively cheap anyway.
    Same here. Got the HHH and found the probe not fully inserted in the sending unit. Worked good after inserting properly.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Probes/wires are very delicate.  My girlfriends dad has went through 3 in a few months - he finally scrapped his last one and went back to his instant read thermometer.  He must be getting them wet or they can't handle the heat - one or the other.
  • Mmmm... Has me a bit concerned.  Have a 732 that I just got and have not used yet.  It is replacing an Oregon Scientific that I had, and used, for about 6 years with no problems.  If I have problems with the Maverick,  I'll go back to the Oregon Scientific.