Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Time......oye!

Options
PORTIA013
PORTIA013 Posts: 11
edited April 2012 in Beef
doing my first brisket today - finally got the temp around 250-280ish and have the meat on - i feel like a jumping bean getting up and checking - over and over - i've read so  many 'briskt's gone bad' stories that i've completely freaked myself out!  Sure hope it turns out ok - i put a cake pan on the place setter w/a little beer in it - maybe it will help w/moisture so it doesn't dry out - anyone tried that??  HELP! :o)

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I've got one on too.
  • Brownie
    Options
    How you makin out? Mines been at 145* for what seems like days (4hrs). Hoping its gonna be finished for dinner.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    1st, find one of those beers you poured in your drip pan and pour it down your gullet. You'll be fine but you are going to kill yourself running back and forth all day. If your temp is stable, enjoy your day.

What kind of brisket did you buy (Whole packer or Flat only) and how much does it weigh? I assume it's on the grid with a drip pan full of beer on the platesetter. The beer will evap fast so it won't add tons of moisture. Can't hurt though (other than wasting a delicious beer). You can use water in there and it does help a little. Next time put something under your drip pan to give it a little clearance from the platesetter. That way the water won't boil off and your drippings won't scorch. No biggie this time though, just leave it alone if it's stable.

No need to freak out- you'll have a great meal when it's done.

Chill.................

have fun today and let us know if you need any help

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brownie
    Options
    I have a 5lb flat. My drip pans filled with apple juice.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have a 5lb flat. My drip pans filled with apple juice.
    perfect. Should be delish
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    How you makin out? Mines been at 145* for what seems like days (4hrs). Hoping its gonna be finished for dinner.
    you are in the stall. That's normal and could even go down a few degrees. If you get close to dinner time and it's not moving, wrap in foil and raise the temp to 300 or so. It will push through and won't hurt anything
  • Brownie
    Options
    I left the stall shortly after posting. I'm now at 154* meat temp....I've read lots of posts on what and how to do your first brisket. I ended up trying a recipe that's a bit out of the norm. I preheated the egg at 275 dome for direct cooking. Grilled for 30 min fat side down, flipped fat side up and grilled 30 more min. Put in platesetter legs up, drip pan with apple juice, then brisket fat side up, back on grid at 225* dome temp till tender (hopefully). My grid temp has been hanging out @ 210*. The recipe I have estimates 6 hours of indirect Foil for at least half hour or more.  I figured no expectations no disappointments. Thanks for the tips.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It will be great. You've done it right so no worries. Just remember, many a fair brisket has been saved by good sauce! If it's not exactly like you want. Chop up the flat and sauce it and make Sammie's. Will still be better than most you would find at a restaurant.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Best of luck guys. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • PORTIA013
    Options
    looks like its doing good... i think!  The temp is dropping, but its been on 6 hours now - i'm going to check the temp of the meat - i think its done...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Late to this flat party but about all I can add is "be ready to consume it once you slice it (across the grain) as it will dry out very quickly."  If finished early you can wrap in HDAF, towels and put in a cooler-but if you need to get right to it, then tent in foil and give it around 15-20 Mins before slicing.  Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • PORTIA013
    Options
    looks like its doing good... i think!  The temp is dropping, but its been on 6 hours now - i'm going to check the temp of the meat - i think its done...
  • PORTIA013
    Options
    oops!  didn't mean to do that twice!  the temp was around 160ish on the meat, so i took it out - read somewhere to wrap in tin foil with a little beef stock - doing that now - let it sit for 15 min, then enjoy - boy - this was kinda stressful!  But i'm proud my temp lasted 6 hours - :o) - thanks for all the help!
  • lousubcap
    Options

Don't mean to rain on the parade but 160 is too early (hopefully I am wrong here...)-here are a few outstanding links to the whole brisket process:  Basically it's ready when a probe slides in and out like butter in the thickest part of the flat-

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    All the info you will ever need. Enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brownie
    Options
    About 5 o'clock it was at 167* so I took Cen-Tex awesome advice and wrapped it in hdaf and bumped up to 310* grid temp. Within an hour and fifteen minutes I hit 195*. Checked it with thermapen and it felt like I was checking a butt (tender). Rested for 15 min in towels and cooler. Wow!! I'M HOOKED! Thanks for the advice.
  • lousubcap
    Options

Have not been steered (brisket or not:)) wrong  by Cen-Tex so glad it all worked out-should you find the inclination take a look at the above links-a wealth of knowledge that has been invaluable.  Enjoy the end results.  Gotta love that meteorite-

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Glad you had a good one too. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Have not been steered (brisket or not:)) wrong  by Cen-Tex so glad it all worked out-should you find the inclination take a look at the above links-a wealth of knowledge that has been invaluable.  Enjoy the end results.  Gotta love that meteorite-

Just wait...if you are following me, you are lost. Time to check your moral compass :)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    About 5 o'clock it was at 167* so I took Cen-Tex awesome advice and wrapped it in hdaf and bumped up to 310* grid temp. Within an hour and fifteen minutes I hit 195*. Checked it with thermapen and it felt like I was checking a butt (tender). Rested for 15 min in towels and cooler. Wow!! I'M HOOKED! Thanks for the advice.
    Glad it worked out for you. Looks awesome.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    oops!  didn't mean to do that twice!  the temp was around 160ish on the meat, so i took it out - read somewhere to wrap in tin foil with a little beef stock - doing that now - let it sit for 15 min, then enjoy - boy - this was kinda stressful!  But i'm proud my temp lasted 6 hours - :o) - thanks for all the help!

I am afraid you are only about halfway. You need to cook it to 195 and then check to see if it is fork tender. It could be as high as 205. You will not be happy with brisket cooked to 160. Shoe leather anyone??!! Put her back on and grab a beverage.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013