Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Question

DOCED
DOCED Posts: 69
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Being in NC, BBQ to me means pork with a vinegar based sauce. However, there are many Midwest transplants here and they think BBQ means beef with tomato based sauce.What are the best cuts of beef for low and slow BBQ? I spent 10 yrs in Omaha,NE and loved it (except the weather) and had some good beef BBQ but I was eatin' not cooking.Beef rib thoughts too while we are at it.This forum is a treasure trove of info and experience so thanks in advance.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Brisket and beef ribs would be best.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I agree with griff. Beef ribs with salt and pepper only are one of my favorites.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Or if you could find it, which I never have been able to, a clod would be cool.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    beef ribs are always good if you can find ones with meat on them, i like them better than babybacks

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Or if you could find it, which I never have been able to, a clod would be cool.
    I saw Steven Raichlen cook one of those and I've been looking for one ever since. The beef clod must be related to Bigfoot as people claim to have seen them, but there's no proof.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • fishlessman
    if you cant find the clod, the chuck roll is a good substitute, they are in the 20 plus pound category. trim it down and grind the trimmings for burger, slow cook the rest
    fukahwee maine

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited April 2012
    In my opinion, nothing better than pulled beef (aka chuck roast, clod).  Do it just like you would pulled pork but take the beef up to at least 205 for pulling.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Beef clod is just a shoulder roast (think pulled pork). Most stores call it shoulder roast so look for that and do one up. They are good. If you buy the entire clod, it can be over 20lbs but most grocery stores cut them down to 5 lb or so. Do it just like a brisket.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    Beef clod is just a shoulder roast (think pulled pork). Most stores call it shoulder roast so look for that and do one up. They are good. If you buy the entire clod, it can be over 20lbs but most grocery stores cut them down to 5 lb or so. Do it just like a brisket.

im not sure which is which, clod verse roll, ones the upper and ones the lower shoulder. never see clods up here but plenty of rolls, center of the roll is the chuckeye roast, about 10 pounds, makes for some great pull
    fukahwee maine

• Fliehigh
    Fliehigh Posts: 76

I wish I could find BEEF ribs here in NS, Canada. Every place I go to says they bone out the ribs to get the Ribeye and refuse to sell beef ribs with meat on them.

I can only get Pork ribs.

:((
  • DOCED
    Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.Think I will go for the shoulder roast if I can fiind it.Wanted thef equivalent of pulled pork for this application.Was thinking of using a rub like Raising the Steaks from DP but open to suggestions.Thanks again. Hey Fliehigh, I studied Gaelic through the Atlantic Gaelic Academy and have some friends at St.FX.Would like to get up there sometime (not in winter though).
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.Think I will go for the shoulder roast if I can fiind it.Wanted thef equivalent of pulled pork for this application.Was thinking of using a rub like Raising the Steaks from DP but open to suggestions.Thanks again. Hey Fliehigh, I studied Gaelic through the Atlantic Gaelic Academy and have some friends at St.FX.Would like to get up there sometime (not in winter though).
    Yup, just ask the meat guy what the local name is for "beef shoulder".  I've seen a half dozen different names for it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I wish I could find BEEF ribs here in NS, Canada. Every place I go to says they bone out the ribs to get the Ribeye and refuse to sell beef ribs with meat on them.

I can only get Pork ribs.

:((
    buy a bone in rib roast from the big bone half of the primal and cut them off yourself. That way you get killer ribeyes and ribs too. This was from the small bone side but you get the idea
  • Fliehigh
     Hey Fliehigh, I studied Gaelic through the Atlantic Gaelic Academy and have some friends at St.FX.Would like to get up there sometime (not in winter though).

It is actually not that bad here (Nova Scotia) in winter. Very much like Maine.

Thanks for the suggestion Cen-Tex. I will see what I can do.

•  Hey Fliehigh, I studied Gaelic through the Atlantic Gaelic Academy and have some friends at St.FX.Would like to get up there sometime (not in winter though).

It is actually not that bad here (Nova Scotia) in winter. Very much like Maine.

Thanks for the suggestion Cen-Tex. I will see what I can do.

:)) "it's not that bad, very much like Maine" Hahaha!

being from TX, Maine is like Siberia to me.

Let's just say that your idea of "bad" and mine are quite different.

As they say: "yeah, it's hot here in TX in the summer, but you don't have to shovel sunshine"!

Good Day Fine Sir. 

• Fliehigh

LMAO

Ok, so I consider anything above the freezing point, NOT THAT BAD. We have had very little snow here this year.

I didn't think DOCED lived that far from Maine, although I may be wrong.

• fishlessman
    was 90 here in maine the other day, to us, texas is like death valley. we have bald eagles and snowy white owls flying around, texas has buzzards and vultures. the town does all my plowing, whats a shovel
    fukahwee maine

• was 90 here in maine the other day, to us, texas is like death valley. we have bald eagles and snowy white owls flying around, texas has buzzards and vultures. the town does all my plowing, whats a shovel
    We have plenty of owls and bald eagles here too. I Know Maine is gorgeous- I was talking about weather. TX is a big place with plenty of terrain (and buzzards, which are actually vultures but that's a different story) but I would not say that the majority of TX is a scenic as Maine
  • DOCED
    I am in coastal NC but have lived in Alaska, Nebraska and Indiana so know cold. Glad to be back in NC where winter means having to wear shoes.
  • I am in coastal NC but have lived in Alaska, Nebraska and Indiana so know cold. Glad to be back in NC where winter means having to wear shoes.
    I'm with you. Lived in WI for 6 years and hope to never deal with that type of winter again. My idea of a winter  jacket is a long sleeve shirt! (and I sell winter apparel for a living!)
  • fishlessman
    i cant imagine living in the heat, we hit a hundred maybe 3 or 4 days and its brutal, a noreaster comes thru here in the winter dumping snow and im outside fishing or praying the power goes out and work shuts down so i can go fishing, maybe even toss a pork butt on the grill
    fukahwee maine

• i cant imagine living in the heat, we hit a hundred maybe 3 or 4 days and its brutal, a noreaster comes thru here in the winter dumping snow and im outside fishing or praying the power goes out and work shuts down so i can go fishing, maybe even toss a pork butt on the grill
    It gets old, like any extreme weather. I can say that after living in 2 very extreme climates, heat wins out hands down for me. We actually only average 11 days over 100 a year (although last year we had almost 100 100+ degree days- Brutal). The rest of the year is awesome. Summer is great but we are always ready for it to end!  We live and eat/drink outside almost all year and frankly summer is when you start looking for cover. That's what the boat and pool are for.
  • travisstrick
    I spent 4 years in Fairbanks Alaska. I'll keep my Texas heat thank you very much.
  • fishlessman
    the view from my shanty a year ago, we didnt get snow or ice this year and i really miss it. my shanty is heated, maybe 85 degrees

heres a pic of the hurricane that devestaed newengland last summer, i took it while out on the boat

fukahwee maine

• DOCED
    Travis I spent 2 years at Ft.Greeley in the mid 1960s (got my driver's license there).Great place for the young.
  • not a big fan of the shanty myself :)

• travisstrick
    Travis I spent 2 years at Ft.Greeley in the mid 1960s (got my driver's license there).Great place for the young.

I was at FT Wainwright. We used to drive to Greeley for the better chow hall. I shot a round of skeet at -51 degrees and got a cool plaque for being in the 40 below club. I had the time of my life but, it would be hard with a family.

• Fliehigh
    was 90 here in maine the other day, to us, texas is like death valley. we have bald eagles and snowy white owls flying around, texas has buzzards and vultures. the town does all my plowing, whats a shovel

We hit 92 here in Nova Scotia, Canada ( the not so great white north) here that same day you hit 90. I do have to shovel my driveway when A bad storm comes but only happened 4 times this past year.

Our climate and land scape is very much like Maine.