Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injection recipes for a Butt?

Options
OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cooking another butt tonight, and was thinking about trying something a little different just to change things up.  I've been injecting with creole butter, which has yielded some great results.  Anybody else have a killer recipe they wouldn't mind sharing?  Sure would appreciate it.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i use a vinegar sauc, the one on the elderward tutorial on the naked whiz site every so often. i dont inject before the cook, i wait for the plataue and inject then in the egg, no need to mess up the house and you get more in once its warmed up. i heat the liquid up a little for the injection as well, not boiling hot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    i use a vinegar sauc, the one on the elderward tutorial on the naked whiz site every so often. i dont inject before the cook, i wait for the plataue and inject then in the egg, no need to mess up the house and you get more in once its warmed up. i heat the liquid up a little for the injection as well, not boiling hot
    kind of cool. I'll give that a rip some time. Thanks
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    its more in line with a whole hog cook to inject during the cook but works with a butt, probably better with a whole shoulder with the different tasting meat groups
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    its more in line with a whole hog cook to inject during the cook but works with a butt, probably better with a whole shoulder with the different tasting meat groups
    Makes sense, plus it's something i've never tried before so gotta get on it.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I tried Chris Lillys injection....didn't notice much of a difference in flavor or moisture. Might try that creole butter idea.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    For injectors-a trick I read about quite a while ago (if you want to minimize the spillage) is to cover the meat with a saran wrap material and inject through the wrap.  Really does manage to keep the liquid confined.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I've been using the pork injection from Butcher BBQ and really like it.  I mix the concentrate with half water and half Dr. Pepper.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Dr pepper injection sounds awesome. I have my recipe at home. Will try to remember to post this evening.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    What is creole butter?
    Cookin in Texas
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    What is creole butter?
    Creole Butter is an injectable marinade you can get at the grocery store. I believe its made by "Injectable Marinades."  A few years ago, you could only really find it around thanksgiving, but our Kroger carries it year round.  It even comes with a disposable injector.  The Creole Butter adds a nice subtle flavor to your pork, but more importantly really keeps the chopped pork from drying out, especially when reheating it a few days later.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Cool, thank you. Might try that sometime.
    Cookin in Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cool, thank you. Might try that sometime.
    It's good but can be overpowering in large doses. Kind of has a "fakey" salty butter flavor with some cajun spices so it you go overboard it can overpower the meat with synthetic flavor. I've never used it on a butt but have it on turkey every year. My bro in law does it right so I kind of like it but if you get too much in one bite it's too strong for me.