Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE - Baptized Catholic (first cook)

twlangan
twlangan Posts: 307
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
We bought a large a week and a half ago and then set about building a table to put it in. Took us awhile with working and other things coming up, but we did our first cook on it tonight. Grilled some lemon pepper tilapia. A light coat of olive oil, sprinkle some lemon pepper on it, and cook for about 10 min at 325 dome temp. Turned out spectacular! I had no intention of making fish for the first cook since I'm a beef eater, but being Catholic, today being Good Friday, and eagerness to try the BGE out becoming overwhelming, I decided to do the fish.

Some observations...

The BGE was extremely easy to light. I used some Royal Oak from Wally World. Filled the fire ring about 1/2 full, created a small hole in the center of the lump, and lit 1/2 of a paper towel that had been used to soak up bacon grease. Placed a couple pieces of large lump over it and away it went.

Temp came up VERY quickly. Took about 20 min to stabilize the temp - which I found easy to do with small adjustments in the lower vent. Once stabile, the temp stayed right where I set it other than dropping a bit when the cold fish was placed in the cooker.

I noticed that the back of the dome (back by the hinge) got considerably hotter, quicker, than the sides and front. Seems I have read that the back of the BGE's are the hot spot and this leads me to believe that. I noticed no real difference in how the tilapia cooked on it though - but I did have a plate setter in it for indirect heat.

The smell of the charcoal was heavenly! I am 42 yrs old. I can vaguely remember my folks cooking on an old Webber as a young child before going with a gas grill. That was the last time I have spent any real time around charcoal cooking since I inherited an old gasser when I went out on my own and have spent most of my life cooking with LP. The smell of this think cooking really brought back some old memories and man, did that fish taste great!!

Sirloin tip roast is the plan for tomorrow. Visiting relatives on Easter and plan to do ribs or chicken on Monday. Looking forward to doing more with this thing!

Comments

• awesome. Welcome to the club. I don't notice the "hot spot" as much but it is obviously an issue because it's mentioned everywhere. when you use the plate setter, always put 1 leg pointing directly to the back of the egg (If the plate setter makes a "Y" have the 2 top legs point at you (if you are standing as cooking)  and the single leg covering the "hot spot" in the back of the egg. I've always done that and have not noticed the hot spot. maybe that will help if it becomes an ongoing issue.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    What's your plan for the sirloin tip roast - seasoning, temp, etc.?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Plan is to do it at around 275F indirect, and pull it at about 130 deg internal. Then crank the temp in the Egg, put it back on and sear it at the end. Pull it off after that and let it rest. This should give me a medium finish to it when all is said and done.

Don't plan on any seasoning other than some salt. We raise our own beef and I have never liked my steaks or roasts seasoned. I've always thought if the beef was high quality, it didn't need much more than a little salt to bring out the flavor. But I also realize a lot of it is personal preference. My wife and I enjoy a steak at Texas Roadhouse once in a while and although I like the seasoning they use for a change in pace, I would not want steaks seasoned like that all the time.
  • Hum..pork ribs for Easter somehow that just doesnt sound right...tower instructed me to do a Easter Ham???

I dont think that sounds any better...wanted to do a burnt offering (brisket-thats how the last one came out) but was shot down on that...I will sneak ribs in with the ham too!!!

welcome to the cult and you will enjoy all the info from the forum

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• woody- sounds like you need to go back to your own scientific principle and proof! The tower is always right!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Welcome to the egging club!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com