Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to buy first egg but what size?

13»

Comments

• Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    The price differences between various sizes of Egg can be significant, and you can consider mixing/matching grills when you have people over. For example, I have a medium Egg, which is just perfect for my wife and me. But I also have a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker, an 18-inch Weber kettle and a very old drum-style grill that I picked up many years ago. I have used all sorts of combinations of these when I've had people over -- and I've fed as many as 40 people. But the Egg is big enough for 95 percent of the cooking I do.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited March 2012
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    I went in thinking that I was getting a large, but the store I was in had a deal on last year's XL. I am extremely happy with it, and I usually cook on it for two people.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • Thanks again everyone. Going to keep price shopping the local dealers and see how much more an XL might cost me. If it's a little more than I can stomach, I'll go the route of the large and maybe pick up another large or medium down the road if I feel the need. I can see the versatility of having 2 eggs for different temps and I can see the advantage of having just 1 XL. I see that there really is no right or wrong choice and honestly I could go either way and would make out just fine. There are advantages for every situation and those situations vary quite drastically between users.