Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to buy first egg but what size?

Comments

• Railslider - can't speak for how long it takes an XL to get up to temp, as I don't own one, but I can say that after I started using a torch to light the lump in my Large, I can reach 500+ degree temps in about 10 minutes!!!!

Here's the torch I use: BERNZOMATIC_QUICKFIRE_TORCH

You'll see that others use everything from weed-burners, to other types of torches, etc.

Also, hopefully someone will be along shortly who owns an XL and also uses an "enhanced lighting technique" such as a torch & can post how long it takes their XL to get to temp.

The one thing I thought was humorous was that, in the past, my GF would favor the oven over the Egg because she thought that it took too much time to prep the Egg... well, once I got the torch, I challenged her to a "race" between the Egg vs Oven to see which one got to 400 faster...

I think we all know who won that race!!!! ;)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I can get my XL up to 600 degrees in 12 minutes and less if I light the lump in 3 places instead of just the middle.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited March 2012

I pretty sure if the large and the XL were priced closer together, like $100 apart, the XL would be outselling the large.
    Cowdogs - no offense, but that's like saying "if my Aunt would've had "cohones" she'd have been my Uncle." The point is, there IS a relatively large price difference between the Large & the XL, and justifiably so. Using that sort of logic, I'm sure if a Lamborghini was priced more closely to a Yugo, more folks would buy a Lamborghini. The real world situation is that the XL is quite a bit more $$ than the Large, and for many folks, that is a HUGE factor to consider when finalizing the decision to buy. I fully understand that the XL can accommodate more food than the Large - there's no doubt about that. However, I read, and then re-read the OP's posts & comprehended his inferences when he said that he's a bit budget-conscious. That being said, my opinion was that I felt the Large would work for him, and that he wouldn't be disappointed in a Large (actually, I'm sure he'll be quite happy with either the L or the XL, and even happier w/ BOTH) :)

Hillbilly,

I thought you original post implied their was some other reason besides price that the large was more popular ... like it cooked better ... or was more versitile.
    My point was ... my opinion is...  Price and time on the market are the only reasons the XL is not BGE's best selling grill.  It's size alone makes it the most veristle cooker that BGE makes.  Yes, each step up in size cost more money, and they are all expensive.  The XL is nearly 2x bigger than the large for 30% more money ... arguably making it the best value in the BGE lineup. 
    We agree on one thing.  There is no wrong choice ... just different right choices.

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534

My point was ... my opinion is...  Price and time on the market are the only reasons the XL is not BGE's best selling grill. 

I don't want to cause a fight (not my intention), but where did you get this information?  I have 4 dealers within 5 miles of me and their most poplular model is the large and it isn't close.  Did you talk to someone at corp. who told you this?  Or an article on the net?  If so, please share how you made that claim. 

Plus it is easily debatable if the xl is more versatile or if the large it.  All of that is subjective.  Not fact.

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Sorry Cowdogs.  I re-read your post and your clearly stated "my opinion is".  I thought you were talking like it was a fact.  I didn't see that until after I replied and for some reason I can't edit my original post.  I disagree with your opinion, but it doesn't matter.
  • One of the MANY great things about the Egg is that it comes in several different sizes & several different price tags - such that it can accommodate nearly everyone's budget & size requirements!!

It's not just "one size fits all" and that's GREAT!!!

(BTW, Cowdogs - another reason I guess the Large is the most popular is the amount of "Egg-cessories" available for it - however, it can be argued that the reason there are so many more accessories for the Large is that it's been around the longest)...

Either way, it's the most popular, and it works for me (though, I most certainly would NOT turn down an XL if someone gave it to me as a gift - HINT HINT) :-)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    edited March 2012
    I'm pretty frugal and use my cooker about like you say you will. I had a large cooker (different brand) and switched to an XL because there wasn't really enough space for what I wanted to do. You can get enough pork roast in a large (or for that matter even a medium) to feed an army, but if you want to do sides and or just regular grilling, a large is not a lot of space.  Steaks even burgers for 10 takes up a lot of real estate in a hurry. I found myself using multiple cookers a lot. 

Also, I may be the only person in the world who is bothered by the following based on the fact that I never hear complaints about this, but I really hate cramming packer briskets into cookers where they touch the walls and most full briskets are going to have that issue when they first go on the cooker. Same thing with ribs. Only small racks are going to easily fit...particularly if you like to lay them flat and/or are planning on cooking more than one at a time. 

The downsides are an XL burns more coal, the accessories are more expensive and everything about the grill is more substantial. Sometimes when I use smaller cookers, it feels like I'm playing with a toy. lol. 
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited March 2012
    Thanks everyone! I guess I need to decide if the extra cost of the XL is something I can muster. I think cooking meat alone in the large with tiered racks would give me enough capacity for parties and would probably be enough to do an entree with veggies for 2-3. I work some serious hours and have a healthy commute home in the evenings so being able to get the BGE up to temp and ready to go quickly is also a concern. Is there much difference in that aspect between the L and XL? Plan on getting a fan of sorts to speed the lighting process, but speed is definitely a concern I have for midweek cooking and yet another reason I am ditching my bullet smoker. Thanks again everyone, keep 'emthe coming!
    I haven't used an XL, but I would definitely think it takes more lump and I have seen posts that the smaller eggs get to temp faster.  I know my Medium gets to temp a little faster than the Large - I just don't know what real time frame we would be talking about with the XL versus a Large.  I can normally stabilize my large at the desired temp in less than 15-20 minutes on average.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Just remember it's not only the cost of the egg that is more, but also each eggcessory for the xl is more than a large eggcessory.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • I have a XLBGE. I'm very happy with it. If you look at the pic I posted in my discussion "Brisket Cook" that wouldn't fit on a large egg it barely fits on the XL. I also do big pizzas that wouldn't fit on a large. The three tier cooking grates are great but you need to think of what the biggest thing you could possible want to cook and know if it will fit on the size you buy. Call all the dealers in your area or as far as you are willing to drive. I found one dealer that was a lot cheaper then the rest. I got my XL for $150 more then what most of them were selling the large. If I really want to get the egg hot fast I found a leaf blower gets it going in under 10 minutes. Make sure you only do that with a clean egg though. If not you will have ash everywhere! Money is what it all comes down to. Get what you can afford. You won't go wrong with any size. One day you might just wish you waited until you could afford a bigger one or multiple eggs.
    XL BGE, Medium BGE, 36" Blackstone, UDS, Red Weber Kettle & LSG Large IVS
    Keller, TX
  • khristyjeff
    khristyjeff Posts: 163
    I bought the medium.  I'm sure I would be happy with something bigger, but this has worked out well for a family of 2 adults and 2 young boys.  Coming from a Weber with more surface space, I thought the size would be a problem, but we have made it work fine.  I still have the Webers if I ever have to cook a boatload of burgers at the same time, but so far has not been an issue.
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Salty Hogs BBQ Posts: 171
    edited March 2012
    I got a large and xl. I like how the large cooks better. I use the large 90% of the time. Plenty big especially with a few accessories if you want to cook for 15 or more people.

These xl posters are funny how they are doing everything to justify getting a xl when most probably didn't need it. They are acting like pricks also. News flash idiots. Most people who bought a large or any size Egg has a disposable income that would allow them to spend $200 more for a xl. It isn't like a lot of money and if it is to them then they have no business buying an Egg. The large has many advantages to the xl, but some of the posters on this thread who are acting like pricks don't want to hear it. They are busy justifying their purchase. It a freaking ceramic grill for god sakes.
  • I have a medium.  I've maximized the space pretty well.  Among some of the larger items I've cooked are 2 butts, a pretty big Prime Rib that served 10, and 3 racks of ribs.  It will also cook a 15+ lbs turkey. 

That being said; you should definitely get the biggest one you can afford.  As someone posted earlier, it will last forever. I'll be getting an XL as soon as I agree to have a kid. Thats the bribe anyway. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    I bought my first egg last May and went with the large as I couldn't justify the cost of the XL and eggsessories. Just the missus and myself at the ranch. Have cooked for up to 12 guests at a time. Was thinking of picking up a
    medium when another large called my name. A deal is a deal

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    So now swapping eggsessories with both I'm smoking and grilling side by each! (sorry couldn't find the edit option for the first post)

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• I have had a XL, L and Med for almost 10 yrs. IF price is a consideration I would go with the Large and have money to buy accessories of which there are more available at a cheaper price than the XL. Personally I use the L and Med the most for the stated reasons of being able to cook different things at different temps at the same time and gives me just as much grill space as my XL. If it's just the 2 of you with an occasional 3rd and you want the versatility 2 Mediums or a Med and S would work. XL's are great but for me, and it's just my wife and I and occaionally a couple of friends the accessories available, the price difference of those accessories and the versatility of 2 smaller ones trumps the XL. Of which I have one.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    @Salty Hogs, Your use of insults have no place here. The man asked for opinions and folks are giving opinions. I have an XL and love it. My buddy has a large and loves it. What works for you might not work for someone else. Does it use more fuel than a large? Absolutely. Does it cook the same? Absolutely. I didn't see anyone being a prick on this thread. Perhaps you should not take yourself so seriously.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • it doesnt matter too much which one you chose...it will most likely be the First!

lighting is not a problem...sarters from BGE work fine, i use a folded paper towel with oil frequently and there are several gas litghters out there you can chose from if you need them

By the way i have three in the nest now: XL(first), Lg(third) & Minni(second) use them all...wife has told me that's it... :)

enjoy your cooks

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    They are acting like pricks also. News flash idiots.

The large has many advantages to the xl, but some of the posters on this thread who are acting like pricks don't want to hear it. They are busy justifying their purchase. It a freaking ceramic grill for god sakes.
    Nice.  I don't have to justify any thing to you, and appears you have nothing to add to the discussion.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    They are acting like pricks also. News flash idiots.

The large has many advantages to the xl, but some of the posters on this thread who are acting like pricks don't want to hear it. They are busy justifying their purchase. It a freaking ceramic grill for god sakes.
    Nice.  I don't have to justify any thing to you, and appears you have nothing to add to the discussion.  Sounds like you might be suffered XL envy.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    @Salty Hogs, Your use of insults have no place here. The man asked for opinions and folks are giving opinions. I have an XL and love it. My buddy has a large and loves it. What works for you might not work for someone else. Does it use more fuel than a large? Absolutely. Does it cook the same? Absolutely. I didn't see anyone being a prick on this thread. Perhaps you should not take yourself so seriously.
    Just ignore Salty Hogs.  Every single one of his posts has some kind of insult to someone.  He's just a coward who knows he can pretend to be tough, since he's able to talk crap and hide behind a computer screen with no consequence.    That said, I hate to admit, I agree with him... get a Large, and just get creative, hahaha.....  ;)
  • Coward? No. If you are ever in Toronto let me know. Im serious.
  • I would buy a large now and a small later if you need it. I have both and love them. The small is just right to take camping.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Coward? No. If you are ever in Toronto let me know. Im serious.
    Seriously? I thought this was a Big Green Egg Forum, not a how big are your b...s forum. I'm done with this conversation. This could be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. What would that conversation sound like?

ME: "Hey hon, while we're visiting Toronto I want to go over to Salty Hog's house."
    WIFE: "Who is Salty Hog?
    ME: "You remember. He is the guy who wanted to kick my a&? on the Egghead forum because I recommended an XL egg."

Come on man. This is a grill forum where we give and take advice. Sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't. Get a life.
    =))
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Coward? No. If you are ever in Toronto let me know. Im serious.
    Seriously? I thought this was a Big Green Egg Forum, not a how big are your b...s forum. I'm done with this conversation. This could be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. What would that conversation sound like?

ME: "Hey hon, while we're visiting Toronto I want to go over to Salty Hog's house."
    ME: "You remember. He is the guy who wanted to kick my a&? on the Egghead forum because I recommended an XL egg."

Come on man. This is a grill forum where we give and take advice. Sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't. Get a life.
    =))
    You know what is sad, chief?  I'm obviously trolling to get a reactions and you and a couple of others are playing.  I like to do this from time to time to see who is stupid enough to waste their time on me.  Congrats.

Funny thing is I'm a well known liked poster here.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    It's just the wife and I at my house with occasional guests and we have a large. I will say that for butts, wings, chicken, steaks, etc. it is great. If you're going to do a lot of ribs, just get a rack, no problem. I don't know the price difference between the medium and large, but if it isn't that different I would go with the large. 

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited March 2012
    Coward? No. If you are ever in Toronto let me know. Im serious.

=))
    You know what is sad, chief?  I'm obviously trolling to get a reactions and you and a couple of others are playing.  I like to do this from time to time to see who is stupid enough to waste their time on me.  Congrats.

Funny thing is I'm a well known liked poster here.
    I dont know who you are and I dont like you. Please, if you are going to troll on purpose, do it somewhere else. I do know who cortguitarman is and he is well liked as a member of this forum. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • You don't like me? Oh no. How will I ever survive? My world is coming to an end.
  • Hey folks - Trav, Cort, Doc - everyone: 

just do what I did and email [email protected] w/ Salty Hog's username & point them to this forum where he admitted to purposefully trolling in order to provoke & incite the users. 

Hopefully if enough of us do that, they can ban him.  And since he's admitted to being too cowardly to actually say what he wants under his "regular" username, hopefully they can do an IP trace & ban BOTH (ALL) of his profiles as well!!! 

Oh, and finally, just ignore him - after all, attention is what the troll wants.