Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket questions

Options
Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited January 2012 in Beef
I bought a half of a grass fed, pasture raised, no hormone, black angus cow recently.  The brisket is only about 2 pounds and only about 2 inches thick - not anywhere near what I am used to buying the the supermarkets.  Anyway, would I cook it the same as y'all do?

Another question, someone told me to marinate it.  Does anyone use a liquid marinade on a brisket?  From what I read most just use a dry rub.

Any other tips on this type of lean meat on the BGE?

Thanks in advance.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TX style is normally dry rubbed only but there are plenty of guys who brine and marinate. I do TS style so I don't know much about the brining or marinading. i would say a cut this size would need all the extra moisture you could offer but in the future, a 2lb 2 inch thick brisket is not good for smoking. It would dry out before it had time to tenderize under smoke
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    Ok, I cooked a 5 1/2 pound brisket on the Egg for six hours. Because the Egg traps moisture in, it came out terrific It was NOT dry at all. I did not use brine or aluminum foil. I cooked it over red oak.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Awesome. Was it a whe flat in cryovac? You can get those right if they aren't all. Trimmed up. Nice work.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    *whole flat