Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Acorn Squash

gatorBGEgatorBGE Posts: 79
edited January 2012 in Vegetables
Tonight we egged some acorn squash. Neither me nor SWMBO had ever tried acorn squash, but figured what the heck, but we couldn't find a recipe that intrigued us, so she ad lib'd it. We split them lengthwise, cleaned them and brushed flesh with olive oil then salt and pepper. They went on flesh down with plate setter legs up, porcelain grid at 350. Left them alone for 30 minutes, during which wife made up a savory concoction. Melted butter, honey, rosemary, garlic salt, pomegranate vinegar, Montreal steak seasoning and brown sugar. Sorry, no measurements, just went til it tasted right. Flipped the squash and coated flesh with the mixture. After another 30 minutes they were done and delicious!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Large Egg October 2011
MiniMax December 2014
·

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Always a good cook. for someone improvising it for the first time you pretty much did the exact thing everyone would suggest.

Love acorn squash. Good stuff. Lets me pretend i'm being healthy.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • demodemo Posts: 145
    I so something very similar, but when I flip them, I also top with shaved asiago cheese.
    ·
  • The BGE cookbook has a good  recipe. We've tried it a couple of times, once on the egg and once in that square thing with a clock in the kitchen. They are great.
    Bob
    ·
  • lensegglensegg Posts: 31
    Hi gatorBGE.  My first cook was a smoked meatloaf.  Wife thought I used too much smoke.  Second cook was a pizza.  Wife thought it was too well done.  Third cook was your acorn squash recipe.  She loved it and can't wait for next creation.  Thank you!!  The egg has now been accepted as part of our family.  Go Gators!
    ·
  • Love acorn squash. I like to use sweet butter and brown sugar. One of my must haves during Thanksgiving, but I'll have to try sooner.
    ·
  • gatorBGEgatorBGE Posts: 79
    Glad you enjoyed it.

GO GATORS!
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
    ·
  • ccpoulin1ccpoulin1 Posts: 386
    looks really good!  This will be great with the thanksgiving meal.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

·