Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Argentine Flat Iron Steak

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Beef....its what was for dinner tonight! Flat iron steak is a pretty healthy cut of beef....I think. Made up a quick marinade of soy sauce, worsey sauce, some garlic, horseradish and rice wine vinegar. That sat for about an hour. Then I took it off and put a rub that my brother in law got me for Christmas. I've used it on a tri-tip before and its pretty good, very fragrant.

P1020368.jpg

Threw it on the egg direct at 550. Cooked it for about 2 minutes, then a 90 degree turn and then another two minutes. Here it is after I flipped it.

IMAG0200.jpg

Let it go on the other side for about 4 minutes and pulled it when it got to about 140. Sliced up.

P1020818.jpg

And it was plated with some parmesan couscous and served with a side of salad. I know it doesn't look like a lot, but its about 4 oz of beef. Trying to slim down and all.

P1020819.jpg

The rub really worked well with the flat iron. It was an easy, quick and not heavy weeknight meal.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    Jason, you do some good cooks.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Never seen that rub, I need to try it. Nice cook!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Griffin
    Options
    Thanks, Eddie, I try. I am nowhere near the level of some people here, but I am getting better.

G&C - I've looked for it before, but didn't find it. I don't know if the store was out or if you can find it online, but it really is tasty. I'll be searching for more when I run out for sure. Throw in a nice chimichurri sauce and it takes it to another level.

Rowlett, Texas

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    You might tey this truly amazing mushroom sauce to with that great looking steak!
    Great with morels and still damn good with grilled baby portabellas.

http://www.theonlyhossbbq.com/recipes/
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Griffin
    Options
    I bet that would, Loco. I've seen that posted here before. Don't think I could get it approved by the "If I'm Eating Healthy, Than You're Eating Healthy Too" committee.

Rowlett, Texas

• Fletch 'n Teggxas
    Options
    That looks awesome Jason, nice cook!

I just ate but that's making me hungry again!
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Perfectly cooked. I just discovered flat irons a few months ago. They are some kinda good!!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Looks TASTEE to me. :) Good job!
  • Griffin
    Options
    Thanks guys. We like flat irons when we can find them. They have a really great taste and very economical.

Rowlett, Texas

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :woohoo:

IMG_2518.jpg

:woohoo:
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Nicely done! How did you like that rub?
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Griffin
    Options
    I really liked it. It had a lot of flavor. I went on line looking for it today and couldn't find it so it might have been discontinued. If so, that's a bummer. Might have to see if I can find a similar recipe to whip up myself when i run out.

Rowlett, Texas

• Burns
    Burns Posts: 7
    Options
    Discontinued? I hope not. It's the best rub for steaks I've ever encountered. I just bought 4 cans of it from William-Sonoma.

Erik
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options

Purchased a Flat Iron steak over the weekend without knowing anything about it . . . looked like a nice cut and it was cheap!  Only $6.71 for nearly a full pound.  Provided tasty dinner for two and a small lunch for tomorrow.  Pics from A to Z are posted, not great but figured I would share as I am sure many have passed up on buying flat iron steak like I had previously.  I found this post right before grilling, to me this cut seemed similar to flank but a little more tender, and cheaper of course.  Used my new bag of wicked good charcoal with few chunks of pecan, grilled up nicely at around 550F using Griffins approach posted above - about 8 mins total until 140F . .

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You guys are all over it. Flat Iron is lean and delicious. Very much like a flank but has internal texture of a strip. Really nice, flavorful, lower fat cut of steak. Great cook Griff. I'll be looking for some flat irons again soon. Thanks for the reminder!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    The Kroger chain carries them all the time-at least those in the Ohio valley.  And they turn out every bit as well as mentioned above. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Never had a Flat Iron steak, guess that's about to change!! :-bd
  • Griffin
    Options

Wow! Blast from the past pulling up a post from almost 10 months ago. Glad you got to try it and liked it.

I'm not totally sure that rub that I used has been discontinued. For awhile, they didn't carry it anymore, but back around Christmas, I saw it in the stores again.

Rowlett, Texas

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options

@thebtls posted a few days ago a WS rub that he cracked the recipe for.  Any chance this is the same Argentine rub?  Flat Iron is a great cut, and I'm starting to find more often than in the past.

His post:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139046/free-range-cheeseburgers#Item_4

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Griffin
    Options
    I don't think so. I think his was for a steak rub. He's been talking about jail breaking that rub for awhile now. Did he get it perfected?

Rowlett, Texas

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options

Griffin   Never tried the rub but the steak looks killer... I would eat that. 

loco_engr   I'd make that sauce anytime... it looks wonderful.

Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com