Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Island

2»

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Very nice, I recomend putting the feet back under the Egg.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    This is a sweet setup. Exactly what what I want to build. I hope you don't mind me saving your photos for reference. If you don't mind me asking, how much did this thing end up costing?
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    WOW! Really nice job. Looks like you will be enjoying cooking a little more. Best of luck with it.
  • leeflash
    leeflash Posts: 66
    very nice.was the concrete a special mix?
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Very nice, clean design...How's your back doing?? :)
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Just beautiful!
    Not only great looking and very functional, but I'm thinking how any and all cooks on that will taste.
    You gotta be proud!

:cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Very nice. I want to do something like that when I get my egg next month. Did you use any kind of reinforcement in the concrete countertops & shelves?
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Very nice. You will have many years of great cooking with that beautiful island.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Hungry Joe wrote:
    This is a sweet setup. Exactly what I want to build. I hope you don't mind me saving your photos for reference. If you don't mind me asking, how much did this thing end up costing?

I can give you a pretty good idea:
    10 bags Quikrete countertop mix @ 12.05 = $120.00
    220 bricks @ $1.99 each = $440.00

Other smaller expenses (can't remember the exact prices):
    20 bags of paver base
    5 tubes of brick glue
    1 4'x8' melamine board
    1 tube black silicone
    1 gallon concrete sealer

I figure I spent about $600 maybe.

I had two people come out to the house and give me quotes on the project and they both priced out at over $2000.00! (This included a granite/quartz countertop, bricks & labor).

The way I look at it, I saved a TON of $$$ doing it myself and this structure is going to be here long after I'm gone!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Serial Griller wrote:
    How's your back doing?? :)

I was hurting for a few days. The bricks are 27 lbs a piece so were talking about 6000 lbs. of bricks. It went something like this: stack the bricks onto the truck at the store, unload them from the truck back at home, one by one - build the structure. I believe I got all 220 bricks in about 5 trips. It was a LONG day.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    no-eggspert wrote:
    Did you use any kind of reinforcement in the concrete countertops & shelves?

I bent a 10 foot 3/8" piece of rebar into a "U" shape in the section of concrete that goes around the egg.
    No reinforcement in the other 3 sections of concrete.
    The Quikreke countertop mix is suppose to be really strong on its own. We'll see!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    AWESOME Island you have there. Very nicely done.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Very nice job, never heard of counter top mix. Great design I will keep this in mind not sure if I like the idea of granite outside. This way I could do a colored concrete top. Thanks for sharing.. You should post on the Naked Wiz site.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    tacodawg wrote:
    Very nice job, never heard of counter top mix. Great design I will keep this in mind not sure if I like the idea of granite outside. This way I could do a colored concrete top. Thanks for sharing.. You should post on the Naked Wiz site.

Yeah, you can't find the countertop mix in stores - at least in my area. But any store that carries the Quikrete brand will order it for you.

Granite looks great but I priced it out at almost 10x the price that I could make the concrete counterop!!!
    That was a big enough price difference that I started reading everything I could online about how to build your own concrete countertops. There's a lot of step-by-step articles and videos out there. You really don't need any former experience, I didn't know a thing about concrete before I started this project! My neighbor also provided some advice, tools and muscle to the concrete part of the project. Those slabs are heavy!

Countertop mix:
    http://www.quikrete.com/productlines/countertopmixpro.asp
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Very nice indeed, that has to be one happy Egg not to mention yourself. Hope you had a few cold ones after each step in the construction.

Then again it look straight so at least you were in control. :laugh: :laugh:

Great Work,
    Bordello
  • N'awlins
    N'awlins Posts: 90
    That's very cool!