Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is Lighter Fluid Really that bad????

Options
13»

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited June 2021
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    yljkt said:
    And another Zombie thread....
    You are more right than you realize.
    This thread has come back twice now, you've got to respect a zombie with that kind of hustle.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,654
    Options
    I respect anyone who has figured out how to use the useless search function on the "forum"
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I respect anyone who has figured out how to use the useless search function on the "forum"
    Ignore that search function and use the googlz:

site:eggheadforum.com "lighter fluid"

Options

What's weird is that if you do this

site:eggheadforum.com "A-hole"

It returns all of JICs posts

Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    My next door neighbour uses lighter fluid, since last week I noticed a gas can in the backyard, hoping it’s there for lawnmower only  :s
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    HogFather said:

site:eggheadforum.com ahole

would hit his signature

Options
    HogFather said:

site:eggheadforum.com ahole

would hit his signature

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    My next door neighbour uses lighter fluid, since last week I noticed a gas can in the backyard, hoping it’s there for lawnmower only  :s
    This is no lie!!! I used to have a neighbor who lit his Weber with gasoline on a regular basis! More than once I saw a fire ball rise clear to his second floor eve.

We always guessed he was a pyromaniac as he would start fires around his yard. Several times several of us neighbors went over with wet gunny sacks, hoes and shovels and put out brush fires.

Eventually his home did catch on fire one night when he was home alone and the home was a total loss. He escaped and then his wife finally wised up and divorced the idiot! He claimed his garage door motor must have caught on fire or sparked and that set off a gasoline can...yea, right, sure, youbetcha
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    I have friend who starts his cement block pit full of charcoal with a little diesel. I don't think diesel is too much different than lighter fluid. (I could be wrong)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I have friend who starts his cement block pit full of charcoal with a little diesel. I don't think diesel is too much different than lighter fluid. (I could be wrong)
    Diesel, I believe, is a bit heavier than lighter fluid.  Heavier = less volatile, higher flash point.  Flash point is a measurement of the minimum temperature of the fuel where an open flame will ignite the volatile gases that it releases.

If you throw a lit match into a puddle of diesel at room temp, the match typically goes out.  You throw it in lighter fluid, it ignites gently.  Wax candles have a high flashpoint, gasoline low.

Options
    (in my younger days as a bench chemist, this was a test I did for customers).
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Interesting - as a person who drives a diesel automobile the smell of no. 2 raw diesel fuel about gags me. I can't imagine what your friend's cement block pit smells like other than that reeking smell in the concrete surrounding the diesel pumps where spillage seems to be commonplace. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,654
    Options
    RRP said:
    WeberWho said:
    Interesting - as a person who drives a diesel automobile the smell of no. 2 raw diesel fuel about gags me. I can't imagine what your friend's cement block pit smells like other than that reeking smell in the concrete surrounding the diesel pumps where spillage seems to be commonplace. 

No kidding especially if he spills some on the blocks, it won’t cook off.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    RRP said:
    WeberWho said:

No kidding especially if he spills some on the blocks, it won’t cook off.
    That’s what I was trying to explain. I just can’t even imagine the stink coming from that porous cement block fire pit! 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    It's a temporary fire pit that's built and used one day a year. The walls are cement blocks. The ground is not. No diesel on any cement. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You could do it the easy way. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Lighter fluid.........The smell of summer. While I may not use it myself, I love the smell when the neighbors fire up their grill using lighter fluid, takes me back home, I can just see my father manning the grill.