Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning Thermapen probe

Options
Chief Chef
Chief Chef Posts: 199
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a proud new owner of a Termapen I am curious as to how everyone keeps the probes clean both during and after a cook. The manual says not to place the probe under the tap and instead suggests using anti-bacterial wipes. Any suggestions where to pick up those wipes? Any other suggestions on cleaning? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    Why is cleaning under a tap bad? I must have missed that part in the directions cause that is how I clean mine.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I have always used hot soapy water. FYI it won't take off the char from testing it to 1500 degrees. :ohmy: :laugh:
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Oops, I guess I didn't read the instructions. I wash mine under hot running water with soap and have noticed no ill effects.

I want to know if I'm the only person that washes it after checking chicken that's not cooked all the way yet - yesterday I washed it 3 times before the chicken breast got done.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Buckethead
    Options
    good move! I am fearful of poultry, so no you aren't the only one.
    DMO
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Of course... it can be contaminated just like anything else..
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    Water and soap here.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I've been running it under the faucet for many many years...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I've been running it under the faucet for many many years...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Water and soap I also give it a wipe with a paper towel in between times. What I do is have a dish rag soapy ahead of time (sometimes I use a soapy wet paper towel it may be the cleaner way to go) and wipe it off with that then hold it under hot running water making sure that I only get the probe wet. Then dry off with a paper towel. Tim ;)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Seriously? You need instructions on how to clean a metal stick?

You can use any spray cleaner (409, Clorox, etc.) and wipe it with a paper towel.

Common sense prevails in most instances like this.
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    No "instructions" really needed. Just curious, that's all. You know what they say" Curiousity killed the cat", apparently using clorox on your cooking implements won't. I think I'll stick with soap and water. Thanks.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Believe it or not, restaurants use a bleach solution to sterilize their cooking implements, serving dishes, silverware, etc. That's one of the things health safety inspectors check is the sanitizer rinse solution.

The chlorine evaporates away in short order, and even if it didn't there is such a relatively small amount present it won't cause any harm.

If you're concerned and want to sanitize it, you could always use alcohol. Vodka works well. Yes, I'm being serious.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    So then we should be pretty well sterilized by Sunday? :ermm:
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    Fidel - I have a minor in "sarcasm" so apparently we speak the same language at times. Seriously, thank you for the info on cleaning. Scotch would be my preference for imbibing, my wife's vodka would make a better sanitizer. Also, would you reccomend a good $10 cigar if there is such a thing.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I wipe it off with my fingers. Sometimes. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Chief Chef,

I keep telling people...reading the manual is a bad thing. If I had read the manual on the Thermapens I would know not to put the probe under running water, which I have done for several years without incident. B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Please understand that Fidel wasn't being sarcastic. he was being a DB. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    if i clean it ( :laugh: ), i use the tap also.
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking I was over thinking it.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Most use a quat. solution.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I rinse under the tap, and wipe with orange scented bleach wipes (clorox brand). Then, I rinse the bleach off, dry and store. Then, before use, I do the same thing. I want to make sure there isn't any bleach left on the probe.
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    I believe their concern resides with water getting into the body through the probe connection, even though it claims to be water proof. Just rinse the probe with it pointing down and you'll be alright.

I mean... they test it in boiling water! Tap water isn't going to hurt it.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    That is the truth of the year so far. :)
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    Your title as "Egg Master" certainly reflects the wisdom of your words. I don't know know why I did not think of that. Enough said on this subject.
  • stike
    Options
    i'll tell you, the only thing that keeps me from teaching that blowhard fidel a good lesson by smacking him upside the head, beating the cr^p out of him in front of his wife and kids, making him fold like a lawn chair in abject pain, while he's crying and begging me to stop, is the fact that he could probably kill me with his bare hands without really trying.

other than that, i think i have a good chance
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    paper towel, shirt, my pants, sometimes i scrape the dried on stuff from the last cook off with my thumb nail :laugh: honestly, you guys are washing this thing several times during a cook :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I clean mine with Clearwater.

Here Clearwater come here boy!

Oh such a good boy!

Here boy come lick this!

Now go lay down. :woohoo:
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Just clean it! Good grief, Charlie Brown!!
  • stike
    Options
    i lied, actually. i don't even eash it.
    hahaha

lick it, maybe.

if it dries, it dies.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Not sure he would need both hands :unsure: Just sayin'.

Steve 

Caledon, ON