Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Grape Vines

thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,908
edited 4:53PM in EggHead Forum
I have seen many a mention of adding grape vines to the lump. Are these the cuttings after each season or are these older growth? We have tons of vineyards around here.
Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney

Comments

• A great flavor wood.

GG
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    doesn't matter. green, dried, old, new

good stuff
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    well looks like I'll get out to the vineyard and load up. Does it take much per cook....I know it depends on how strong you want the smoke...but is it a strong wood. :P
    Thanks...guess it doesn't matter if it is white or red grapes? ;)
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    it's very mild
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Dave, I've used it on cheese and chicken. Good stuff!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,873
    does not need to be from a vineyard, side of the road is fine. i pick the leaves early summer for stuffed grape leaves and use the cuttings for lamb. i just use wild concord grapes, dont overlook the leaves, go buy a vine
    Thanks Molly
    Thanks for the info...lots of roads with grape vines along the side even malls around here..Not enough room left in my yard for a grape vine.
  •  
    The chips I used didn't say. The flavor in the food was different than the aroma coming out of the egg. The exhaust not so good and I was concerned. The flavor of the chicken was great and now grape vine chips are in the cabinet.

GG