Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homage to Clay Q and his Pulled Beef

Options
eenie meenie
eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In homage to Clay Q, I finally made my first pulled beef. I prepped two, almost 5 lb choice chucks with peanut oil and Dizzy Pig Raisin the Steaks rub. This was followed by a marathon cook. I thought I followed the tutorial at the Dizzy Pig web site and I expected about an 8 hour cook. I put the cow on at 3am Sunday morning and completed the cook at 5pm. I think I better calibrate some thermometers. Go figure. It stayed in a plateau at 150 degrees forever and had a very slow climb to 212 degrees, as well. After the open roast with hickory smoke, followed by the braise, I sauced with Carnivore Robust, yum! I smoked further with some hickory chips in the open DO. I had a sandwich last night and it was tender and delicious. Awesome, if I do say so myself. My family gave up on me. They expected to eat around noon....they finally grilled some burgers on their Weber, sorry sops. They are lucky I saved it for them for dinner tonight. Clay said it tastes even better aged!

Peanut Oil and Dizzy Pig Raisin the Steaks rub chucks with bacon

ClayQsPulledBeef003.jpg

1st stage completed: Hickory smoked to 160 degrees

ClayQsPulledBeef005.jpg

Completed braise portion in DO with lid on (I didn't put the bacon on the bottom, instead I reserved it for my baked beans).

ClayQsPulledBeef009.jpg

Partially pulled beef ready for the Carnivore Robust sauce and the defatted juices.

ClayQsPulledBeef015.jpg

The completed Clay Q pulled beef!

ClayQsPulledBeef023.jpg

Plated Clay Q pulled beef, accompanied by baked beans, coleslaw, and potato salad, adorned by my first daffodils of spring.

ClayQsPulledBeef019.jpg

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :) gotta give "chuck" another try after your post, Rebecca! Thanks B)
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Nice Plate, Dear! Looks wonderful. I haven't done that one in a while.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Rebecca that is sublime & delicious...YUM
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    Looks great. I have done several Chuck's as well that stayed in plateau forever. I recall a couple going 12 hours +, and I have had them done in 7-8. Go figure...
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    It's definitely is an all day cook but very much worth the effort. This dish needs to be served with toothpicks. -RP
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Can I come over for dinner?
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    Thanks for your post. I feel much better now. My last pulled beef effort was a bit of a disaster because I couldn't get the chuck roast to leave the plateau stage until 9 hours.

I expected a total of an 8 hour cook as prior efforts, but I had to give it up after 12 hours, slice it, and refrigerate it until the next day.

I figured that, as per the usual reasons, I just didn't know what I was doing.

I'm doing pulled beef again today (see my earlier shameless pleadings for help) but have plenty of time if it goes forever.

Thanks for posting.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Nice job Rebecca!Looks scrumptious!! Beautiful pics too, love the daffodills. I did the exact same recipe and mine ended up a "marathon" cook as well. It was a good thing you started as early as you did. I had to laugh when I saw the 3am starting time. I'm still not back to my normal sleeping pattern since the FL fest. :)
    Hope all is well.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Scott, I wasn't going to post this, but then I saw your post and thought it might help you. In the future, I will not invite anyone the same day, but will serve it the next day. Especially since Clay said it gives the flavors time to mellow and meld (not an exact quote). I'll look forward to your future post. :)
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    That was very sweet of you. I really do feel less inept now.

My daughter and her best friend were not very happy when we ended up ordering Domino's. I'm hosting a gathering on Friday and Becca (13) will be the only person under 40 at it. I'm making pulled beef specifically for her since it is her favorite of all the things I've ever Egg'd.

Thanks again. I'll try to post more pics. - Scott
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
    man that looks good
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Awesome job dude and yep, it don't get much better than Clay's pulled beef! Like a fall off the bone tender steak!! Nice pix and eggcellent cook!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Looks great, Rebecca !!!

I was thinking of putting bacon strips on top of my next brisket flat. I think that would be a good addition. You just reinforced that for me. Thanks. :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Very nice Rebecca, did the non-believes think is was good. ;)
    Going to miss you in OKC.

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I see you made enough for me :whistle: JK,, I haven't tried that one yet but yours looks great.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Is that a Kramer Knife? I sent an e-mail about fests in Missouri, take a look when you get a chance.

Mike
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Eenie Meenie, I''ve made that several times and I've never had it finished in 8 hours. You know, anyone that believes in Hodags ain't right. :laugh: It is a great recipe, and I'm not too intersted in pulled pork sine I made Clay's pulled beef. Nice job & nice pics.
    Brian
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Wow, what a cook! Nice work! Thanks for your homage, I don't think anybody has done that for me before,... your the best. ;) Those are some big chucks! I try to put the word out that when there is more than 9 lbs. of beef (three chucks can go 9-11 lbs. sometimes) go ahead and bump the temp up to around 300° in stage two in order to get all that meat moving threw the plateau. I had chuck roasts cook fast and some cook slow but in most instances with 11+ lbs. I bump the temp up if the meat stalls. Beautiful pictures Rebecca, like outa some BBQ magazine. Yup, the BBQ will mellow over a rest in the frig and it will taste better down the road... so I make this ahead of the party date and all I have to do is re-heat with a little more sauce to say "Come and get it!".
    Again thanks, And your family will be happy tonight I think. ;)
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Clay, I'm a little woried that this is going to go to your head.... :P.
    BC
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Clay, it's nice to have one's cook acknowledged by a master. My family, otherwise known as the nonbelievers, absolutely loved your mellowed pulled beef. I only have one regret. I should have made this the day I first noticed it on the forum. Thanks for the additional pointers. :)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    DOW, you MUST give this a try! Sounds as if you just returned from a trip and are now planning your fests. Cheers! :)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Thanks LR. Hopefully someone will make it for the Texas fest!

Beef and Texas just seem to go together, don't they?
  • eenie meenie
    Options
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    JB, I learned a big lesson on this cook. I'll definitely make it in advance because it is unpredictable. I also learned from Clay today, to bump up the temps when you have a large quantity of meat. I just kept wondering, when were those things ever going to take off, lol.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Hope to get the chance to cook with you again someday. Where is your Marinated Korean beef rib recipe? I want to re-live the memories of the fest with somethin taste-teee!
    Is it in egret's cookbook?
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    That's an understatement AZRP! Then again, that's what BBQ is all about. :)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    You're late Hungryman!!!!!!!!! and there aren't any leftovers. :( We were wondering where you were....must have gotten stuck in rush hour on I-75, lol.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    So you noticed the 3am start Reelgem! :lol::lol::lol: I don't know if that makes me a morning person, night owl, or a confirmed insomniac????? I do hope you are on the road to recovery, especially since you've scheduled about 20 more fests this year, lol.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Memphistide........it tasted even better!!!! :)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    You are sooooooooo right Eggtucky.

Hopefully, I'll get to meet you at the Kentucky fest this year.