Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Advice/Opinion

FatDog
FatDog Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After a few years of cooking on my large and small eggs, I have the need for a mini. OK, I don't technically NEED one, I just want one. The only thing is this ... how much can you actually cook on a mini? For instance, can you cook a couple of chicken breasts, two small steaks (5 oz. sirloin), or a pork tenderloin? How many ABTs will fit? Does anyone use a mini for tailgating? Where can I get one in North Carolina ...

So many questions. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    Spartanburg SC has them if your close by. Went and looked at them last week. Looked like 4 hamburgers would fit if that will give you a idea.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    The mini will hold a whole package (8) hotdogs!
    :laugh: :silly:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Alan the mini holds a surprising amount of food. 2 chicken breasts, yes; 2 small steaks, yes; pork tenderloin, yes; Never counted the ABT but a good number.
    Tailgating would not be a problem. Like you I had a large and a small before I got my mini. I love the mini.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • If you are cooking for 1-2 it is great and it is more portable than other eggs, just by being smallest. It is still heavy, because it is about 35lbs.
    I cooked a good sized ribeye, a porterhouse, 3 small potatoes, cut in half, 2 burgers. All at separate times.
    You can probably fit 4 burgers, but its going to be tight.
    2 fillet mignons should be no problem. 2 NY strips might be tight.
    I don't think that you can fit 2 ribeyes.
    Its a great grill, but if you have a small, I wouldn't bother. Then again, some consumer spending might be good for the country so go and get one. Haha.
  • If you are cooking for 1-2 it is great and it is more portable than other eggs, just by being smallest. It is still heavy, because it is about 35lbs.
    I cooked a good sized ribeye, a porterhouse, 3 small potatoes, cut in half, 2 burgers. All at separate times.
    Its a great grill, but if you have a small, I wouldn't bother. Then again, some consumer spending might be good for the country so go and get one. Haha.
  • FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 39
    Stoic ...

I'd rather spend the dollars on a new egg than give one more dime to a congress/president who have no idea how to manage a budget. I'm all about helping the economy by letting the market work.

Enough politics ... now off to make some bread for tomorrow.
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Alan; I had a large for about three weeks and ran right out and got a mini! The size was also my concern before I got it. It does hold plenty of food for two - we have done two nice-size rib-eyes, four pork chops, three chicken halves, etc. It's a great addition to the large - fire it up for quick week-night meals. Love it.
  • Two people? you're fine!
    IMG_0025.jpg
    Three tenderloin steaks or hamburgers seem to fit best for me- tho I had no trouble with 4, just had to think outside the box!
    IMG_1265.jpg
    I have brought it to work and brought it to one of my daughter's softball games
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    basically look at your dinner plate and see how much food fits on it.
  • Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    If I look at my dinner plate I better be getting a xlg. B)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Getting eggcited for mine thanks to you all!!
    FatDog, Just do it!!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • loco_engr
    :laugh: :laugh:

What is/happened in the last pic?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • I know you weren't expecting anyone to talk you out of getting a mini and I certainly won't. Take the mini tailgating and drag the small along too. They are both very portable.

IMG_3522800x600.jpg

Salmon
    IMG_3403800x600.jpg

Duck breast
    IMG_0483800x600.jpg

Cornbread
    IMG_3882800x600.jpg

Stuffed Cornish Hens over veggies
    IMG_3908800x600.jpg

Pancakes
    IMG_3856800x600.jpg

Crawfish Fritata
    IMG_4344800x600.jpg

Stuffed Pork Loin
    IMG_4356800x600.jpg

Wings
    IMG_4801800x600.jpg

Sliders
    IMG_3270800x600.jpg
  • loco_engr
    Just did 2 KC Strips 7 1/2 x 3 1/2 without a problem.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL you mean mine?? I was inside looking at new pics of this:
    068.jpg
    you need to watch your eggs... they are very jealous if you do not pay attention to them!!! :angry: :blink:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

In one cook, I can cook more on the mini than my wife and I as well as 3 to 4 grand kids can eat.

GG
  • loco_engr
    What is/was this? :ohmy:

Picture1036.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Hey Fatdog - here is a link that shows lots and lots of mini cooks. You can fit alot more on it than you would think.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=680588&catid=1#

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini