Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en:Bone in ribeye and a few extras

JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well me and my lovley wife of 18 years are back from our anual summer ride. I know it seems like I have deserted the forum but most of you long timers know the warm months are really busy on the farm. I actually do MUCH more Egging and forum in the cold months when things slow down. Spent the last couple weeks of June getting hay, chicken litter :whistle: and weed control before we left for trip. Was gone to Fort Walton Fl. and New Orleans for a week and just got back this Tuesday afternoon. Had a great time both places. I will plug the hotel we stayed at in New Orleans. Called Le Richleu Hotel. Like 2 blocks from French Market, 4 from Jackson square and 3 from Burben. We have stayed at a lot of places but never been treated as nice as we were hear. Super clean as my wife is a clean freak! 3 Nights and 4th free. Ended up like 70 bucks a night and the staff adveradges like 30 years there and super loyal. All the stories you hear about N.O are just that. Sure you can get in trouble and killed there just like an other city but the Quarter and Frenchman street as well as street cars were safe and never did eather of us feel threaghtned. Course got that flat on way home but that was only real problem. Rode threw Buluxie and Gulf Port. Now the coast there is hit hard!! Any way was going to post this last night and huge straight line winds came threw with storm. Trees on fence, power out till 12:20 and couldn't go to bed till power came on for my Pacu fish and old lab, Susie. It was my wife's birthday so did her up some stake. Any way enough rambling. I've had 1 1/2 hrs sleep since 7 am yesterday and 2:15 am comes fast. Hear we go!
The raws:
Spring09april19006-1.jpg

A nice warm,gental heating! ;)
Spring09april19014-1.jpg

While this was cooking I have become addicted to something called a Sazerac http://www.nolafoodie.com/id85.html

Spring09april19009-1.jpg

Spring09april19010-3.jpg

Expensive but just wonderfull!
Back to the food:
Spring09april19019-1.jpg

Spring09april19021.jpg

And for all you whinners, hears the bird! :laugh:
Spring09april19022-1.jpg

Hear are a few pics from the trip I will add from time to time. Not like out West but still some nice shots. Note the Egg on the balacany in N.O!
Spring09april19013-3.jpg

Spring09april19122-1.jpg

Spring09april19298.jpg

Spring09april19194.jpg

Got to eat supper and make a Sazerac then hit the bed. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Great pics Jl, Glad you enjoyed your trip. Happy Birthday to your wife.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    looks great!!1

you have to have a sharp eye to see that egg!! you must have been hunting for them.. i do that everytime i go golfing.. and how many egg houses there are are on the scorecard also...

you must be just as sick as i :laugh:

love the sunset picture with the motel in it.. looks like a great place to visit but as always there is no place like home!!

welcome back ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• figured you did not get to egg last night with the storm .. glad you were able to egg the birthday dinner,. hope the storm clean up was not too much
    welcome home
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Glad to hear you had an enjoyable trip, Happy Birthday to the wife, and good to see jake making his photo op. Couple of months this heat will drop and you'll be egg'in more.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Lovely! I love N.O. And you are so right-no more dangerous than any other city. Great food, beautiful sights--can you share the drink recipe?

Happy birhtday to the Queen :)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Great showing JL. Glad you and your wife made it back safely. Happy Bday to wifey!!! It's a good thing you showed Jake, I was gettin worried about our mascot. :laugh: Good to see you back.
  • luis70458
    luis70458 Posts: 48
    Glad to see you had a great trip to New Orleans! I live there and go to Destin (just down the road from Ft. Walton) a few times a year. Where & what did yall eat??
  • JLOCKHART29
    There is a link right above the raws for the drink in my origional post. I used the Pernod as it was ONLY $48! :ohmy: The Abseteane was $70 and really not much differance no more than you use. I use less than a teaspoon of it so really once you get it it is the cheapest part of the drink. In N.O they twirl it in glass and dump it on floor. MMMMMMM Not in my house!! B)
  • JLOCKHART29
    My wife is the one that fond it. This Egg was right across from hotel. If I live there can you imagian the smells rolling down the street! :laugh:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Floyds sea food. If you made it b4 18:00 they had all you could eat shrimp for $9.99 right on beach on the board walk and ice cold Amber Bocks ;) . Only in Fort Walton 2 days and ate there both days. Walked fishing pier after then Howel at the Moon and walked beach back to hotel. Very relaxing!
  • luis70458
    luis70458 Posts: 48
    I was wondering where yall ate while in New Orleans??
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Wow! Picture #2 of the steaks and that last pic are fantastic. The shutter speed was perfect for that whisp of flame and the colors and streetlights in that last shot are dynamite.

Food looks good too but that goes without saying. Man I love Pernod. You're right about the price but like anything you get what you pay for. There are some great recipes using Pernot too if you can part with it not being in the glass.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    great pic's and great meal JL

Ross
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    JL,

Good looking cook buddy. The other pics are great too. We call our whiskey Rye, I didn't know you guys knew the term.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Thanks JL! Great to have you both home safe. Nice pics.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    D, good to see/hear from you, it all looks great, Marc
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • JLOCKHART29
    Didn't get up till about 10 each day so hade late breakfast at The Re Richelou and ate at Coops on Decator 2x and Prealean Connection close to Frenchman St. a couple. Both I recommend.
  • JLOCKHART29
    How is the peppers doing. Mine is about a foot and half tall. Bugs ate some holes in leaf while I was gone but its still fine then the storm tryed to tare it up b4 I could get it in but again its still fine. No blooms yet though. :(
  • Glad you had fun, JL. I love, love, love N.O. That is funny you found that egg on the balcony!
    Your dinner looks very good. Gotta try the Sazerac.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    not too good either, we have had an unusually cool summer & tons of rain, they are about a foot tall, no flowers yet, but its starting to get nice & humid, rain dying down, so hopefully we'll have a nice hot streak & these things will take off
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Love how you think...thanks for the tips....