Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Therapy: Multiple Eggs

omba
omba Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi again!
Do you own more than one BGE?
As you might know, I own a large BGE.
I've been "toying" with adding a small.
The "boss and brains" (Pam) of the oufit asked me, "Why?"
I went through the "Why light the large for just the two steaks?" routine.
She replied, "Yes, but you always do!"
There's the background.

Now, if you own MORE THAN ONE egg, please answer either one or both questions:
1 - Why do you need/want more than one?
2 - What were the symptoms that first led you to this conclusion?

Now for those of you who own particularly the large and the small, I have some additional questions:
1 - About what percent of your egging is done on each?
2 - When/why do you typically use your small?

Your answers should be brief, as I'm probably going to take the plunge tomorrow anyway! :woohoo:
Your thoughts and comments will be held in strict confidence.

Thanks,
Peter

Comments

• Started off just like you with a large. Then when we were just cooking a few things during the week it made sense to get the small. Sometimes we wanted to use both. I say it was about 50/50. Burgers, steak, dogs and brats on the small. Larger steaks, ribs, pork, and larger items on the large. Cast iron on the large too. Same with corn, potatoes and those things the small can't do.

I have two larges, an XL and a small now. I compete with the first three. The small stays at home and during the summer gets used about 4 nights a week. We compete 12-14 weekends during the summer and the 2 larges and the xl are used. During the winter the xl comes home and is used about once per week and the small during the winter is about 3 times.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    why you ask? cauz I'm not taking my money with me! Yes I'm a multiple egger - I have 4 and my small gets 60% of all my business!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I have a large and a small. Went thru the same questions. Glad I purchased the small in addition to the large.

I use the small more - mainly for cooking for the two of us. The large tends to be used for groups, ribs or large pieces of meat.

Having two gives you more options: Cooking two different things, BBQ'ing/roasting with a sear option, etc.

I personally find the large easier to use. The small requires more attention but still pretty easy.

Spacey - More toys are better.
  • omba
    Wow!
    And I thought that I needed therapy! :laugh:
    Thanks for the reply.
    And as a side note ...
    I have NEVER been to a competition.
    I'd love to visit one someday.
    Is there a way for me to monitor your travels and maybe sight your sails?

Thanks again,
    Peter
  • omba
    LOL!
    I actually need to "choose" between a small egg or some "necessary" house stuff (that can wait!)

Later,
    Peter
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Peter,I also own more than one egg :woohoo:

1)I like cooking different things at different temps,and/or with different smoke flavors

2)Uh,I wanted a baked potato(egged) with my fillet,but didn't want to toast the potato at 750 :lol:

Sorry,I don't own a large,but I have all the rest of them :laugh: + the chiminea :woohoo: :woohoo: PS,I love them all ;)

NewEgg002.jpg
  • omba
    I like that!
    "More toys are better."
    Well done.
    And now I'll need to build a larger table. :)

Thanks,
    Peter
  • omba
    Doug,

Looks like an Egg Foster Home to me.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Plunging is imminent!

Later,
    Peter
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    seriously - the large and small is the perfect combo - and yes it saves time and lump. Another thing is you can have an overnighter butt going on the large and yet still egg most any other meat for "tonight's" supper.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • What part of the country are you in? I blog all my stuff at busterdogbbq.com/blog
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I fought tooth & nail for 6 months to get my wife to let me buy my large Big Green Egg. Nine months after we got the Large and as we were getting ready to go to the Ocala Eggfest my wife said we need a small for camping... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I said you are right dear. :silly: So one year ago we got our small. I use them both just about equally. For example I have cooked 3 days this week and I used the small twice and the large once. We have company coming for the weekend and I will use both Fri/Sat & Sunday....

BTW...I have ordered a mini and will pick it up in Ocala... :P :P :P :P
  • I use my small more often than I do my 2 larges. More for steaks, chops, chicken breasts. I do a few pizzas on the small.
    The mini gets broke out at the wash for lunches. B)
    I'm getting my mobile kitchen together for comps, that is why the 2 larges and another on the way.

Mike
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I can tell you why I just purchased a large and a medium. Though I am wondering about the small. My daughter and her friends do not like their food all spiced up with rubs and such. So while I am low and slowin some ridiculous crazy good pig I can cook the usual hamburgers and hot dogs for them. When they are not there then the sides are a brewin in the medium.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Peter,
    Oh my goodness it is so simple!! :laugh:
    More is always better! :woohoo:
    On my way home from the FL Eggfest when we brought home our first large, I asked the other half, in your case Pam, (in my case KayNOcook) and I know she is the more sensible one. What size should we get for the NC home?
    I knew that if I got a medium or a small I could take it back to FL during the cold time of the year. It is nice to have two diffrent temps and cooks at the same time and if you only need a couple of burgers or steaks it makes just a little sence to only fire up the smaller Egg.
    A smaller Egg travels easier if you have that need.
    Good luck.
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• omba,

Uhhhh...I don't know. If ya get enough you can host your own Eggfest? :blush::blush::blush: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Now, if you own MORE THAN ONE egg, please answer either one or both questions:
    1 - Why do you need/want more than one?

Chicken, Ribs, Pork and Brisket

2 - What were the symptoms that first led you to this conclusion?

The need to compete

Now for those of you who own particularly the large and the small, I have some additional questions:
    1 - About what percent of your egging is done on each?

Average 16.7% Just remember with every average ther is a high and low

2 - When/why do you typically use your small?

Anytime I cook for myself. Which is most of the time lately

Any more questions....
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Get help! You're slipping down a very slippery slope. Next thing you know you'll be packing up your Eggs and Pam and traveling around to the different Fests. You'll take up wearing a funny little hat and knocking back boutique beer. ;)

It's so sad to watch the decent into total EGG MADDNESS! :evil:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    hey I resemble that remark...
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    I think it may have been the hat. ;)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i have both the large and the small if i had it to do again i would buy two larges.. i use my small but i make myself use it more than i need it... i had a large for 4 years before i got my small and i am pretty used to it i can light it set the vents and go to the store buy my food and come home and my egg is right where i want it... maybe if i used my small more i could do the same but i am too lazy... also if i had a guru adapter for my small i may use it more buit like i said i am lazy :blink: :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• omba
    Jim,
    I don't get out much. :)
    Looking forward to seeing you again at Ocala.
    Later,
    Peter
  • omba
    Wolf,
    Your answers were quite thorouogh with a touch of reality thrown in. Thanks for taking the time.
    I guess you have 6 eggs, right?
    Peter
  • omba
    One question ...
    1 - What boutique beer is in your fridge?
    One comment ...
    1 - That's right! I don't know the handshake! :angry:

See ya soon,
    Peter
  • i own a large and a mini ,, very happy with the combination ,, mini heats up fast cooks much more than you would expect , is miserly on lump and i have lots of pics.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Why do you need/want more than one?
    Because you need it. There is lots of potential food out there, and one is not enough.

What were the symptoms that first led you to this conclusion?
    I needed a place to roast my steak after searing it. Then I realized I also had to cook my potatoes and corn

About what percent of your egging is done on each?
    25% on the large. 23% on the small. 40% on the medium. the rest on the XL and the mini.

When/why do you typically use your small?
    For searing and when I need something to throw in the car. Or when my medium is busy.

Good luck sir.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Why does the chicken cross the road? Because he CAN!

Why does Obama become president? Because he CAN!

Why does Schlitz make beer? Because he CAN! [yolk! yolk!]

Why have more than one Egg? Because we CAN!
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Buster, why do you say the small can't do corn and potatoes?
  • Looks like an Egg Foster Home to me.
    omba, am concerned about your visions for more children--hope you don't want welfare or invitro fertilization :woohoo:
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    We started with our large for the first year. We added the small because we did not have room for some things at Thanksgiving. The small is too new to give a usage percentage yet.

The small was really purchased so that during a low and slow, it could be used for other things. Also to do sides when the large is at a different temp. I also try to have enough extra for some special neighbors when I do a low and slow so that fills the large.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Since you're coming to the Florida Eggfest, I hope you're taking the "plunge" by getting a small demo egg there at a DISCOUNT!!!

You can strap it right into the back seat and take it home!