Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different versions of Brisket??

Warthog
Warthog Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I have a question regarding Brisket. When I lived in Columbus, OH., we used to go to this place called Hoggy's. They served brisket there that was excellent! You could have a brisket sandwich or the brisket dinner. Both had the consistency of pulled pork. But, it was beef. My question is: Was this brisket? I would love to make a brisket on the egg that turned out like this. Mine have been less than stellar. Not bad, but when you have one thing in mind, and you get something altogether different, it makes it difficult to rave about. I am wondering if the world of Ohio BBQ refers to pot roast as brisket?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

John

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Attended a Mini BGE cookout with Pork Butt Mike, FlaPoolMan and my self. Pat -FLAPoolMan- brought a brisket that was the moistest I have ever eaten.
    Beef, Brisket, FlaPoolMan

This recipe was given to me by my BGE salesman at Pinch-A-Penny here in Melbourne, Fl.

BrisketPat.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Whole Brisket
    Mix:
    1 12 Ozs Beer
    12 oz Water
    1/2 cup Brown sugar
    10 Shakes Worcestershire Sauce
    4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 Tbs Cayenne pepper
    5 Shakes Tabasco, to taste
    2 Tsp Onion powder,
    2 Tsp Dry mustard.
    S&P to taste
    Heat and Serve:
    2 Pkgs Au Jus, Mix as per package instructions.

Procedure:
    1 One whole brisket with fat trimmed then cut in half (to fit in steamer trays later---8 X 10 which are 1/2 commercial tray size).
    2 Rub the night before with your favorite steak rub, I use Montreal Steak Seasoning.
    3 Place both pieces on the egg at 250-275 direct for 1 1/2 hrs each side.
    4 Remove brisket pieces and put in steamer trays, 8 X 10 inches, dividing the liquid. mix and cover tightly with foil.
    5 Return to egg at 250 indirect (they can be stacked on top of each other) and leave for 4 to 5 hours.
    6 Remove and discard cooking liquid, slice against the grain and add au jus sauce (about 2 cups each container) and serve.
    7 If precooking for the next day wait until you are ready to reheat to add the au jus.
    8 Not the conventional way to make a brisket but it is really easy and the taste is great.!

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, FlaPoolMan, 2008/06/30

coo
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Thanks Richard, Yes not the traditional way to cook a brisket but this is one I do for charity cooks and get great reviews from guests and chefs. Really hard to mess up this way but give it a try and let me know what you think.

here it is after slicing on Saturday. We ate it Sunday.

101_2067.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I do my briskets "pulled" style, or chopped actually just like I do butts. I pull it apart in chunks then take a large East/West Knife and go at it until pieces are less than one inch. Plate it, and drizzle a lttle sauce on the side. But that's just me.
  • joshua92
    joshua92 Posts: 1
    Sounds like what you were getting at your favorite restaurant was the point section of the brisket. I always cook a whole brisket anymore and it's about $1.50 lb @ Sam's club compared to buying just the flat @ over $3.00 lb. Some prefer the flat which gets sliced and is served at most bbq restaurants and some prefer the point which is rippled with more fat and pulls much easier when completed. A whole brisket consists of the flat and the point and there are several good websites that break down the separation and cooking process. I usually cook my brisket between 250 - 275 degrees dome temp and never pull it off the egg until internal meat temp is at least 190. I have read posts that say to pull a brisket at 140, this will result in trying to cut through a piece of shoe leather. Also, when slicing the flat, always cut against the grain.
  • Warthog
    Thanks for the info. Can you buy just the point? How big can you get it?

Again, thanks
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Yo John

You can also get moist fatty slow cooked beef with a shoulder clod or a chuck roast. But if they said it's brisket, it's prolly brisket.

The point of the brisket very much has the texture (fatty and moist) of pork. But the majority of the brisket is the flat, and it doesn't come close to the texture of pulled pork. If they say it's brisket, I'd guess it is. Either they mix in meat from the point and flat, or you are getting all point.

Have you cooked a whole brisket yet with the point attached? That muscle has a ton of fat, and when rendered it is one of the most amazing pieces of meat you can put in your mouf.

Just some thoughts. Have a good one!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Warthog
    I have been doing flats only. I will have to try the point to see if that is what I am looking for. I guess I could do the whole thing and then mix them together to get the consistency of what I am looking for.

Thanks again.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Pat,

Thanks again for the complete recipe--it was great talking with you again this afternoon :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Always great to talk to you Mike. Enjoy