Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to drink while Egging

Comments

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Pepper Schnops or Chianti wine.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    This may sound gross to you initially, but try it - scotch (mixer-grade - I wouldn't do this with the Doublewood), ice, and milk mixed in a blender - yummm!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Ayingers Brau Weiss. -RP
    beer.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ever since parker steered the whole world into these giant "in yer face" reds, there's no appreciation for a nice mellowed 40 or 50 year old bordeaux any more....
    tsk tsk. (he said, trying to be showy).

'57 ch. lafite

07deadsoldier.jpg

'66 La Mission (better than the showy place across the road!)
    tritip1966.jpg

'66 pape clement.
    what a beautiful bottle this turned out to be.

wellingtonleftovers.jpg

...that summer we also enjoyed a '66 Lafite, '66 Carruade de Lafite (which wasn't intended to go 40 years, and so didn't), a '66 Chev. Blanc, and a '66 Latour.

those were the days.

now itsa farkin box of white pinot grigio.
    at least i'm at home and not drinking mad dog 20/20 behind a dumpster.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    i don't HAVE mixer grade, my friend.
    but that sounds like a reason to get some!

all right. deal.

if i drag my ass to an egg fest down there, i won't be wearin a name badge. i'll just come up to you with a blender, some milk, and a scotch, and you'll know who it is.
  • Au contraire mon frere! I would gladly join your French summer! DANG, someone either called in a hit on a sommellier or inherited a serious collection!

stike wrote:
    ever since parker steered the whole world into these giant "in yer face" reds, there's no appreciation for a nice mellowed 40 or 50 year old bordeaux any more....
    tsk tsk. (he said, trying to be showy).
    ...that summer we also enjoyed a '66 Lafite, '66 Carruade de Lafite (which wasn't intended to go 40 years, and so didn't), a '66 Chev. Blanc, and a '66 Latour.

those were the days.

now itsa farkin box of white pinot grigio.
    at least i'm at home and not drinking mad dog 20/20 behind a dumpster.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    I agree with you. He probably got the empty bottles from the dumpster in the back of a restaurant he was talking about; as well as the meat in the picture; how else did he know that the boys there drink MD 20/20.

Just kidding! Nice wines! Glad we don't have the Karma thing; he would have given me one down!
    Hammer
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Being in the mid Atlantic area there are many fine micro brewers out there to sample.I just might have to add Texas to the list and I am sure there are many more out there.Finally the good old U.S.A. can compete with the guys across the Atlantic for a robust brew to go along with that all night cook.Now I am not saying I stay up all night and drink beer and watch that but cook.No not really I play horseshoes in between under the light of the moon.Beers.
  • stike
    still have another '57 lafite left over. if essex co could ever find time in his calendar, the four of us would tap it.
  • stike
    found this pic in my photobucket album. this was me finishing off bottles for the recycle bin last winter.

no kidding. all three went into the trash the same night. mind you, i didn't necessarily OPEN them the same night, but still.

we have the best recycle bin on town, man.

deadsoldiers.jpg
  • This box needs a bottle just like that. Unfortunately the box is empty now.

101_1817.jpg
  • Hammer
    I consider that a great offer! I bet I could find some good wines to bring as well!
    Hammer
  • stike
    well hell. if you bring something good, i might also bring my 1915 burgundy (though i'm betting she's toast now). ...though, she does have a high neck fill, still.

bottled at the height of the war (WWI)... the last battles fought in the vineyards of burgundy. only 1100 cases bottled in the region that year.
  • Hammer
    Depends on the conditions it was stored in. Intresting story was that my former company and a few others bought a $35,000 bottle of wine at a St. Judes auction.
    At that time it was the most expensive bottle of wine ever sold. Wine wasn't worth a flip; but the story has been good for years and years.
    Keep the 1915 wine; I belive that it would have a great sentimental value as well as a show piece.
    Just my thoughts!
    Hammer
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    I drink a ice cold Diet Dr. Pepper in my Big Green Egg Cuzie B)
    ~Pharmeggist
  • Man, that steak has me drooling...I'd trade you a case of Maudite for that any day.
  • Strike,
    I like your style!
    Ross :)
  • stike
    you are right, of course.

the label is really faded. the guy who sold me the '57s was also selling this, relatively cheap, and i had him toss it in for free if i bought the two lafites. he thought it was a 1913. on closer inspection (label is foxed and faded a good deal) it was clearly 1915.

i don't expect much of it.

as you said, it's more in the hope-and-promise than it is in the actual drinking.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    A nice cold single udder milk, 2% with a twist.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    There are some pretty good boxed wines out there, Try Black Box.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Cuba Libre, mon! 8 - )
  • A '57? That's almost older than me. I can only throw an '86 on the pile. Let's discuss.

Paul
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    you wine drinkers are a strange bunch, im just happy that the may edition of sam adams is more availabe at demoulas, hopefully the lowsy april edition is over.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    you could partake too. but i have seen you drink beer, and i'm afraid to imagine what you'd do to a bottle of wine.
  • stike
    '86 lafite, eh? i've never had one of those 'young' ones (i said, as if i ever had any others than the ones i always trot out from my brief bordeaux period!).

yeah. we should figure out a good dinner, and drink both. is that one of your daughter's from her case?
  • stike
    that was a brief period of indulgence. wish i could say that was how i lived all the time. got the '66s one at a time over about a year's time by stalking wine auctions, so that we could celebrate our 40ths in 2006. the '57s i got from a friend, relatively cheap, and after that, i think it'll be back to sam adams for me.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Try one of these on a hot summer day.
    MintJulep.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    forget about those old wines, get a nice bottle of 06 mateus, pour it in some fancy plastic beer cups and pair it with some fried chourico sausage, now we're talking. if it aint mateus it aint no use.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    funny tou mention the chorizo. i think i'm taking a ride today to the store where fred gets his. i am dying for some on the grill.