Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to drink while Egging

Options
Mega Egga
Mega Egga Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just wanted to pose a question on what everyone does while egging. Personally, I settle down with A good blended Dewars Scotch and water, sit back to wait for great eats. What do you do?

Comments

• Emarf
    Emarf Posts: 167
    Options
    I have a few cold beers while I BBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    A lot of the time, like now, I put the meat on and do catchin up stuff. Like right now I am catchin up on the forum. When I can chill out and take some sips, I like me some Knob Creek. Or good Tequila. Beer is a staple, so I won't mention that. Scotch? Still trying to find some tastebuds on my tongue that scotch agrees with, but have not done that yet :-(

Beers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    jim beam and vernors ginger ale. however i am in the process of making the outside frige into a kegorater i have a keg of beer. if the jim beam runs out i have a blueberry flavored jar of liquid in a mason jar in the freezer. but i worked in a nightclub for 15 years so pretty much anything that you need your drivers license for i will drink with you :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    "good blended scotch"? there is no such thing!

just giving you grief, my friend.

my problem is that i will drink and enjoy anything while cooking, or waiting to cook.
    best is when we have guests, and share with them.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mega Egga
    Options
    I used to drink bourbon but devoloped a taste for Scotch, now, I can't stand even the smell of bourbon. Beer with golf, Scotch with Egging, couldn't be better.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    A couple of Wiser's 18 year old. Then a glass or three of Rancho Zabaco Dry Creek Zinfandel with what I've cooked. It goes well with all types of meat, and has enough body to offset any inherent spices that I used on the food.
    Hammer
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    generally a chardonnay,sometimes pinot noir if i am making ribeyes. tonight, however, i am drinking Abita beer, doing my part to help Mike from Abita cope with the crack in his egg on sunday.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    What everyone else has in their fridge. :woohoo: I'm headed to the Chicken ranch for some rum and coke. Who wants to raid the Chicken Coop?

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I run naked (not a pretty picture) thru the back yard with a Budweiser then jump in the spa with a glass of red or white wine, Depends on if I'm cooking burgers or fish sticks. B);) :laugh: :laugh:

Pat
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Mega (and Hammer)
    I have been working on trying to "get" the flavor profile of scotch for a long time. Not as long as I have been trying to get the flavor of cilantro...15 years and running....but a guy gave me some of this really, really old expensive scotch to try and change my mind. I asked him to fill up a shot glass 1/3 full, and walked around for a half hour rolling that stuff over my tongue a few drops at a time, and I still don't get it.

Main thing is, though, is that what you are sippin floats your boat. Then all is good! Happy eggin my friends.

Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Whatever my neighbors have NOT raided from my outdoor fridge - which occasionally means absolutely nothing! :(

The good news is that when I egg, THEY BUY THE adult beverages! As a result, I like to keep a good stock of beers including my favorite Paulaner Hefewizen in the summer, good old fashioned Bud Light when I feel like drinking more than 2, and when thngs begin to cool off or the sheEO is present, Liberty School Cabernet is the usual suspect.

Good question!
  • Marlin Darlin
    Options
    In the winter, Dewars or Famous Grouse for everyday cooks and a Glenvivet 12yr for special meals. In summer a very frosty Grey Goose Gimlet. Four parts vodka and one part Rose's Lime juice.
  • Squash
    Squash Posts: 37
    Options
    Many bottles of Labatt Blue. I love beer. I love Canadians You can't go wrong.

beer-2.png
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Beer or a diet coke. Or, maybe a coffee or a cup of tea. Sometimes a gatorade, just depending on what the weather is outside.
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Face it Chris. That tongue of yours was made to float in beer. It's as simple as that! Both single malt scotches and single barrel bourbons can really be helped with a splash of water. It seems to tone the alchohol bite down a bit and let you get to the flavors-more Beer like!
    Cheers and Amen on the Cilantro, Scott
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Pepsi -- on the rocks!

The Drink of the Gods!

Nirvana!

:unsure:
  • Keith W
    Keith W Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm a brandy with diet coke guy in the winter. Bud Light in the summer....or whatever the guests bring!
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Vodka, rocks....COLD
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Ahhh Hefe as you order it in Germany. Zwei Hefe bitte. Music to my ears. To which the barkeep asks a stupid question ein or halb liter? Paulaner is one of the best imported Hefe Weizens, but they don't travel all that well and there isn't a good domestic example. A fresh keg of Paulaner is a treat.

I haven't brewed any in years, but Hefe Weizen is one beer that isn't too hard to brew and is worth the effort. Even as a novice brewer I could brew Hefe that equaled what I could purchase. With more experience the right amount of clove and body and I had a favorite. Not many people like Hefe so I didn't brew it that often, but it is my favorite! In the early nineties I spent many weeks in Luebeck with a Bavarian coworker, great times and a few Hefe's,very happy memories.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Don't get me wrong Scotty. I don't need no stinkin water :-)

1/3 of an ounce over a half hour, and I had plenty of time to wash that stuff over my tongue. Sure it feels great "floating" my tongue in beer, but if the scotch tastes good it only takes a few drops to tell it's good. Scotch is not good.

But hey, you can know, and find comfort in the fact that you are in the 2 or 3% that like that flavor!

Do you flyfish too?? hehe. Just kidding.
    Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    A couple of Budwiesers and an 18 year old sounds good to me as well! Post some pics of the 18 year old! ;)" alt=";) ;)" />
  • mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    miller light. my neighbor ask me how long it takes to cook that roast? i will say that will take about 6 beers.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    A man after my own heart. Bring yo-self on down here to the Chicken Ranch where the rum flows freely and the coke is stired, not snorted.

Spring "Chicken Ranch General Manager And Occasional Substitute" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Rick,

Don't see a lot od Maudite fans south of the border.
    15 0r 16 of those puppies will get you quite a buzz.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    when i brewed, the second bier i did was a weizen, with the weihenstephan strain. i think the yeast culture cost five bucks at the time. it was incredible. the wort was spent in abot 24 hours. looked like a roiling boil, the yeast was so ferocious.

the only thing better than saying "ein hefeweizen bitte" is "noch ein..."

good stuff
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hammer
    Options
    Chris,
    Scotch is definitely an acquired taste. It is not one of my favorites either. My palate will not accomodate the peat that is in scotch's. I've tried all types of scotch expensive/inexpensive/single malts etc; participated in various scotch tastings etc; but still not one of my favorites.
    Wine is a different story; and also an acquired taste. Tried a lot of them with what I cook on the egg, and always come back to the Rancho Zabaco Dry Creek Zinfandel. It's a food wine.
    Thanks for the reply!
    Mitch
  • Hammer
    Options
    When I replied to Nature Boy about scotch; the only one I do like is Famous Grouse. Not heavy on the peat.
    Hammer
  • Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    Options
    Most the time I have ice cold Bud. Light. Pretty soon I'll be having a nice chilled glass of Pinot Grigio that I'm making at home. 1 kit makes 30 bottles. Happy Eggin and Wine making. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    i learned about that stuff on this very forum!
    very good
    very good
    ;)