Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Out Fished again

Options
City Slicker
City Slicker Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My way better half put me to shame again and brought in this real nice Northern. It was 40 inches long and weighed in at 14lbs on the scale. So we have a couple of large slabs of mostly boneless Pike to cook up. Any suggestions on how to do them on the egg, rather than the old pan fry method ?

KathPike2.gif

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    CitySlicker,
    Nice fish! Much as I love my Eggs, that fish has shore lunch written all over it. Flour it and cook in crisco over an open fire in a cast iron pan, mmmmmmmm.

• City Slicker
    Options
    AZRP,
    Yup, that was what we did, about an hour and a half after we landed it. Used melted butter instead of oil though. But for the two packs we froze, I was thinking maybe baking it on a raised grid like we do the Tilapia would be nice ?

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    dsc02073aLL.jpg
    <p />CitySlicker,[p]This recipe involves grilling the pike first, making cakes, then doing a saute in a pan. You can do the saute on the Egg if you have a griddle or cast iron skillet. This is a slightly modified version I got from Cheffrey, who among other things is a fishing lodge chef. These are really goooooood. [p]My changes: I reduced the mayo from 2 cups to 1-1/2, added green onion, used "Tsunami Spin", and went with sea salt.[p]~thirdeye~[p]Walleye Cakes [p]3 lbs. walleye, perch or other whitefish
    1 large carrot, shredded
    2 stalk celery, diced
    ½ medium red onion, diced
    1 green onion, diced
    4 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
    1-1/2 cups mayo
    2 tsp Tsunami Spin (or your favorite seasoning, some folks like Old Bay)
    Sea salt (what else)
    Cracked pepper
    Olive oil (for grilling fish)[p]Grill your fish with a little salt, pepper & olive oil. Cool on a rack and break into large pieces. Mix the other ingredients together first, then add the fish. Stir, trying to keep the fish chunky. Form into patties, refrigerate 1 hour. Saute as-is in a little bit of olive oil. Or, sprinkle with cornmeal fish fry (or egg wash & bread crumbs) and sauté in oil.[p]dsc02059aL.jpg[p]dsc02061aL.jpg[p]DSC02065a.jpg[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • City Slicker
    Options
    thirdeye,
    wow, now that's a fantastic looking recipe Thirdeye ! Thanks for the post and the pics. Going to give this a shot next week after the Turkey gets eaten up he he.