Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fatties for breakfast What ya cooking?

BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I pulled these fattie slices out of the freezer and proceded to fix my favorite breakfast sandwich. For you newbs if you haven't made fatties you need to get busy. Good luck, Tom Fattieeggsandwich2.jpg Fattieeggsandwich1.jpg

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Bajatom,[p]For me, breakfast was some leftover mojo pork, and eggs scrambled with green onions, peppers and jack cheese. A couple of flour tortillas and I was all set.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Bajatom,
    fatties have never made it past dinner for me, i need to make several at once then i may have some leftover. i fried up smoked mac'ncheese for breakfast this morning. should have cracked an egg into it as it fried. this summer im definatly going to have some of those slices in the freezer

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Bajatom,[p]You know, of all the things I've cooked on the egg, I've never made a fattie!![p]They sure look good though!!
  • 13feb07_1-003.jpg
    <p />all hail the power of the smoked fattie![p]whatcha waiting for!??[p]28dec06-005.jpg[p]2feb07_3-002.jpg[p]13feb07-006.jpg
  • thirdeye
    81326047.jpg
    <p />AlaskanC,[p]Next time you barbecue anything, toss a fatty or two on. [p]I like anything sausage, my latest project is trying to perfect my Big Green "Scotch" Egg recipe....I'm almost there. Here is a photo by chotda I'm using as a guide. These are gooooood.[p]ScothEgg.jpg[p]Happy Trails[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,
    wOw !
    when you finish, you'll be sharing, right?
    is that all on the egg or deep fried?

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Bajatom,
    Great breakfast. Beats my Grapenuts all to heck. Going out to the Cheesecake Factory tonight. No egging until Sunday. Still lurking for ideas.[p]Mike

• eggaholic
    eggaholic Posts: 309
    fatcheddar4.jpg
    <p />Bajatom,
    What I like most about Fatties is u can put just about anything that goes with sauage into them.
    fatcheddar7.jpg

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    thirdeye,[p]Ok - I looked thru the recipe section, but I can't find it. What goes into a fattie? (sausage obviously...)
  • fishlessman
    2004_0128Image0011.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    use a little flour on the egg before trying to get the sausage to stick really helps, i think these were pork and apple sausages i used. ive only made these a few times, my butcher that makes meat pies also makes these for breakfast time during the week.

fukahwee maine

• thirdeye
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Share?? You bet.[p]That one is fried (which is traditional) however it's fried in panko instead of regular bread crumbs, so that was the first variation to get this egg ready for the Egg.[p]I've used panko on armidillo eggs and for perch fillets on the Egg and it works great.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Car Wash Mike
    AlaskanC,
    There seems to be a ton of variations. This was homemade sausage rolled out flat, coated with Raging River, rolled back up and cooked.[p]fattie8.jpg[p]This was from my old grocery store days.[p]fattie3.jpg[p]Have fun.[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    AlaskanC,[p]Here is a link to my page on fatties. It covers smoking them and rolling-your-own.[p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Click Here[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    AlaskanC,
    Mine were just the standard breakfast sausage roll coated in Dizzy Dust. Some people flatten them out and stuff with diffrent things like cheese, mushrooms, onions etc, etc. Then they roll them back into a log and smoke low and slow. I cut them into slices and put the leftovers in vaccum bags into the freezer. Good luck, Tom

• thirdeye
    fishlessman,[p]Yep, I'm rolling the eggs in flour before the sausage. And don't get me wrong, they are good without the breading, I just like the crunch.[p]I like the apple in the sausage. Do you chunk it, or is it applesauce?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Bajatom,[p]Serving up some soked chedder tonight along with 9 bushels of South Carolina Selects...man I love oysters...
    IMG_1242.jpg[p]IMG_0108.jpg[p]It's a great day for egging abd college B-ball!![p]

• fishlessman
    thirdeye,
    apple sauce, but press the liquid out first. the beakfast sausage i get is really fine ground which i think helps because when working it over the egg a coarser ground stuff starts to crumble and split off the egg. a little oil and seasoned bread crumbs on top and give some heat to get it to crisp up on the outside.

fukahwee maine

• Car Wash Mike,
    Im heading to chees cake factory tonight my self witch one are you going to. I upset I cant do any egging tonight but getting up early in morning to through on some fatties
    Ryan

• Car Wash Mike
    RTC Smoke ,
    Haven't got that far along. You in the Kansas City area?[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike,
    Nope im in atlanta area just thought i might run in to you there are 4 of them here
    Ryan

• Car Wash Mike
    RTC Smoke,
    I don't so tonight. I will be at the one on the Plaza at KC. 2 of them here.[p]Mike

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    thirdeye,
    I'm just a slo talking country boy from Mississippi. What is panko?
    Hammer

• Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 139
    P1010015.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    Looks good, here are some scotch quail eggs I did for an anything but entry....

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Hammer,[p]Great substitute for bread crumbs on the exterior of a dish that is baked or deep fried. Nice and crunchy!

[ul][li]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panko[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike wrote:
    AlaskanC,
    There seems to be a ton of variations. This was homemade sausage rolled out flat, coated with Raging River, rolled back up and cooked.[p]fattie8.jpg[p]This was from my old grocery store days.[p]fattie3.jpg[p]Have fun.[p]Mike

That pig shaped fatty cracked me up. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: