Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE questions

Options
Sippi
Sippi Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there sufficient room to cook a whole chicken on avertical rack on a small BGE? Is there a daisy wheel top made specifically for the small? Your gudiance is as always appreciated.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sippi, not on a sitter, but flat on its back, I would think a 3 to 4 lb broiler could be done. I have never tried it, but if you want, I can do one tomorrow and see. In a hurry??
    And yes, in regard to the daisy wheel. I have one. They fit a bit loose on the upper dome outlet, but I have no problem with them even loose. (sorry, I don't have pictures, "yet"!)
    C~W[p]

• Sippi
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks. There is no great rush. I cook a great deal for my inlaws who are 93 and 88 respectively. With all the comments on the forum recently about the small being so complimentary to the large, I thought a small might be nice. His favorite food is chicken, and at 93 he has had ample time to figure out what he really likes. I really get a kick out of his enjoyment of egged meals.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Sippi, Wonderful that you have such long lived relatives. I find very little difference between chicken quarters, breasts and/or thighs and drums when brined and grilled. So he can do cut up as well. The little cornish hen's are a favorite also. Maybe even a better deal for a lighter meal for them. Enjoy..
    C~W[p]

• PRobinson
    Options
    Sippi,[p]I have ordered (but not received) a small egg and daisy wheel from halcogrills.com. If there is concern about the daisy wheel fitting loose, a solution describing the use of BGE gasket material was posted by Charly on 2/24/01. See: "mini daisy wheel question."

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    mediumgage.jpg
    <p />Sippi,
    This is a picture of my small egg,it has the daisy wheel-slide top,it fits real tight.[p]Larry

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]You might have a medium slide-daisy top because mine is like YB's and fits REALLY tightly. Mine measures 4 3/8" ID and the OD of the chimney measures 4 1/4" so thats pretty tight. I have seen folks use the medium top on the small and it works fine but is looser. [p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Tim M, your absolutely correct! My daisy measures 5.0 inside diameter. So I did get a medium daisy with my small.
    I am devastated!! My whole day has been totalled..:-)
    But it works o.k.
    Thanks for the heads up on this one.
    C~W

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]"Back in the days" ... when I had a small, the BGE store gave me some of the felt to line the inside of my daisy top. It took about 1 1/2 times around theinside edge and worked great! Just a thought![p]Smokey

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Smokey, your right, and I think the answer to this is that at one time BGE substituted the Medium daisy for the small with the wrappings to take up the gap. They have, I assume, began making a daisy just for the small several years ago. So I have a more vintage Small BGE. Mine also had the felt wrappings, and I stripped the gooey mess off and run without it. Works fine and I have no problem with slippage or loss of the Medium daisy. I, like most, would like a tighter fit. To me, its not worth the hassle to replace it. Life goes on, good or bad..Heeeyaaa.
    Cheer's and thanks...
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    slidetops.jpg
    <p />Char-Woody,[p]Actually, I am not sure the way you have it isn't better. The small top is tight and almost no way to turn it on the egg. You must lift it off and turn it and set it back. I wish it was a tad larger in diameter. [p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Tim M, there is a method of making a adjustable cap, and I would have to steal this one from one of BGE's competitors. They have a metal top vent cap with side adjustable screws to fit the ceramic top port.
    (1/4" x 3/4" I think)
    3 of them in 120 degree points around the circumferance. I find them a negative in the respect that they will score and damage the ceramics.
    But if you reverse the screw, and put a flat or round tip against the ceramic and adjust the threaded portion from the outside, this would partially eliminate damage to the ceramics.
    Its just a 3 point gap fill on theirs.
    I could drill and tap several similar on mine, but if I did I would do it with larger diameter bolts with a buffered surface on the inside contact points.
    Maybe they will read this and make a adjustment.
    Life isn't a bore...heeeyaaaa
    Cheers..C~W

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p] Don't feel bad, I've got the same thing for my small. Lots of felt there![p]MikeO
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    MikeO, nay, too feel bad is negative, tis the cook that counts..food all tastes great regardless.
    I might take my own suggestion and do the Tap and Thread thing for grins..
    C~W[p]

• Sippi
    Options
    Char-Woody,My new laptop went down after my post last night. I do appreciate your comments and those of the other forum members.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Sippi, Glad to help, and I did bring home whole 4 lb bird today to cook in the small. Brining for 24 hours..then cook.
    I will post the results..First time for a whole one in the small. Musta done 2 dozen over time in the large. :-)
    We are all here to help when needed.
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]