Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

How was the bacon grease to be used???

RRPRRP Posts: 20,255
edited 8:17PM in EggHead Forum
Within the last few weeks someone had either posted a recipe or a hint whereby you use bacon grease. Seeing that we didn't have any at the time we have been saving it, but now I can't remember for what! LOL can anybody help me???
L, M, S, Mini
Ron
Dunlap, IL

Comments

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    RRP,[p]It sure is good to add to your refried beans or for making roux for gumbo.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Why1504Why1504 Posts: 277
    RRP,[p]Bacon grease is good eats. I use it in cornbread, substitue some of the crisco with bacon grease. Use it to fry eggs or hamburgers. You can fry corn in it. Go get a southern cookbook.
  • Stir warm bacon grease into honey mustard to make a knock-out salad dressing...
  • ShortRibShortRib Posts: 180
    RRP,[p]To season your dutch oven with.

• ronbeauxronbeaux Posts: 988
    thirdeye,
    I second that roux thing. Also good to start a jambalaya.

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    RRP,[p]Buy 90% lean hamburg and add 1 1/2 Tb of bacon grease per pound. Doesn't alter the taste, but the hamburgs will brown up very nicely.[p]Spin
  • RRPRRP Posts: 20,255
    Spin,
    interesting...I wonder since I buy preformed patties if I could smear the bacon grease on the surface instead of misting with water to get the rub to attach and get the same browning effect? Thanks - and while neither this nor the other responses was the one I was looking for I appreciate all of them!

L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    RRP,[p]I don't know if it would work but trying it certainly couldn't hurt. A light coating should be all you need. I would appreciate you letting me know how it works.[p]Spin
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 20,736
    RRP,
    i bet it would make a nice meat pie crust, or maybe would be good injected into a pork loin or brisket.