Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flameboss verses Bbqguru

Options
Hello!

I am a BGE dealer and I want to carry a brand of best quality temp control products. So who has the best, Flameboss or Bbqguru???
Thanks all!

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    lots of threads on this topic in the search bar.   I'd ask other BGE dealers what their throughput of each is.

Personally,  I'm a flameboss advocate.  Great product and incredible customer service. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    +1 FB. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options
    +2 Flameboss 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    +3 Flameboss 
  • Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    Options
    +4 Flameboss 
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • skellis614
    Options
    Flame boss.  Used both. No comparison. 
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This place has a tendency to develop favorites. Lemmings, ya know? Used to be the Barbecue Guru or the Stoker. There was no Flameboss. I bought a DigiQ2 from the Guru folks and it has worked flawlessly for eight years. Maybe only 1/10th, but that's all I needed/wanted! That said, I almost never use it any more. Not worth bothering with one. Any one. 

These days, one darling here is the Flameboss. Don't know what folks on other forums say. Wifi access seems to be popular. No idea why. I didn't know about the dealer thing with Guru. I bought mine direct anyway.

The other darling is the Smobot. A newer company with a product that uses no fan and controls the airflow via a servo unit on the top vent. Same as you would do if you were manually controlling the egg, except with wifi (I think). Not sure if their iOS or Android apps are ready yet. People seem to love it.

I haven't read any negatives about either device. Quite the opposite.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I think flameboss and smobot only work if you burn Rockwood.  

I own neither BTW. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    This place has a tendency to develop favorites. Lemmings, ya know? Used to be the Barbecue Guru or the Stoker. There was no Flameboss. I bought a DigiQ2 from the Guru folks and it has worked flawlessly for eight years. Maybe only 1/10th, but that's all I needed/wanted! That said, I almost never use it any more. Not worth bothering with one. Any one. 

These days, one darling here is the Flameboss. Don't know what folks on other forums say. Wifi access seems to be popular. No idea why. I didn't know about the dealer thing with Guru. I bought mine direct anyway.

The other darling is the Smobot. A newer company with a product that uses no fan and controls the airflow via a servo unit on the top vent. Same as you would do if you were manually controlling the egg, except with wifi (I think). Not sure if their iOS or Android apps are ready yet. People seem to love it.

I haven't read any negatives about either device. Quite the opposite.
    When I first saw controllers they appealed to me for the simplicity.  I did my own research of different mfr models, features, etc. and settled on FB for the wifi and adjustable fan.   All the press I read gave kudos to customer support & my experience with them has been positive as well.   Not a  lemming...just happy with the choice I made for a controller.   
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • yooper829
    Options
    Thanks for all the opinions everyone! I was leaning towards FB since if I was going to buy one, that is the system I would buy! As far as lump charcoal we are stocking BGE and Rockwood....I have been using Rockwood since I purchased my own egg and that is the brand, when I’m asked, that I recommend to my customers. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2018
    Options
    This place has a tendency to develop favorites. Lemmings, ya know?

Yeah.........like the Big Green Egg.  So are you and all of us BGE lemmings?

Guess I'm just a damn good snake oil salesman since I'm one of the top selling FB dealers in the county and took RW from 12 stores locally to 5000+ all 50 states in under 5 yrs.  Tens of thousands of people, going through hundreds of thousands of bags......they must all be fooled to keep coming back and buying more.  Am *I* a marketing genius??  No. 
    I’ve been looking for a reputable snake oil salesmen!! Any good products you might recommend for the lemmings round here?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

Guess I'm just a damn good snake oil salesman since I'm one of the top selling FB dealers in the county and took RW from 12 stores locally to 5000+ all 50 states in under 5 yrs.  Tens of thousands of people, going through hundreds of thousands of bags......they must all be fooled to keep coming back and buying more.  Am *I* a marketing genius??  No. 
    That Q guy is a minimalist I have known him to denounce products that he didn't own as not needed or cost to much! After his dog broke his Mini he replaced it with a Webber due to cost or something like that. His needs are minimal and I can respect that. I don't have a pit controller but if I were to get one it would be FB because I have seen them in action and have talked to the owners operators, they are also Eggers.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Smokin_Trout
    Options
    I would bet if you get in touch with Eric or Curtis from Smobot they would send you a unit to demo. 
    @reinhart36
  • SSQUAL612
    Options

I’ve been looking for a reputable snake oil salesmen!! Any good products you might recommend for the lemmings round here?
    Yeti coolers. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Stoker...
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Great_EGGspectations
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Not a dealer, just a user. Wife bought me the FlameBoss over the Holidays and I couldn't be happier with it. No more nights of getting up to make sure temps haven't runaway on me, system can be set to trigger alarms, and notifications are sent to my phone via WiFi and the mobile app. Nothing but a lot of cooks with steady, reliable temps. Also, the feature of note taking to tracking cooks via the app is nice if I want to look back at reminders of how I seasoned something, etc. 

No experience with the DigiQ or other temp control systems. Good luck and happy smoking... er, dealing.
    Low Country EggHead
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Large BGE (2016-05) & XXL BGE (2016-11)

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I was one of the first on the forum to get one, behind @Griffin, @Big_Green_Craig, and @fljoemon .  I got it because I needed one for an important cook and it was all my dealer had.  Turns out it was a great unit from a great company.  I have since upgraded to a FB200,

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1178938/flame-boss-100-experience
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Stoker...
    1 YUGE Stoker advantage...it can be run Silo'd with its own internal interface, no need for any 3rd party webpage to make it run over the DUBYAHDUBYAHDUBYAH

SOME people have a issue with the setup, but if one can read, one can make it work..

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Can't comment on the second one, but the FlameBoss has never let me down. I've got the original one and the redesign. See no need for the wi-fi version, but that's just me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• damnedhooligan
    Options
    I was leaning towards the FB 300 until I saw this...http://flame-boss-vs-bbq-guru-review.com/  Now I'm on the fence again. Then there's this..https://bestsmokersinfo.com/flame-boss-300-review/ .   :open_mouth:

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I was leaning towards the FB 300 until I saw this...http://flame-boss-vs-bbq-guru-review.com/  Now I'm on the fence again. Then there's this..https://bestsmokersinfo.com/flame-boss-300-review/ .   :open_mouth:
    Your first link is an advertisement for BBQ Guru.  Pretty shady way to present a "review", not by you, but by the content creator.  That is how mattresses, exercise equipement, and diet products are sold online.

The 2nd link seems legit and has good points.  If CyberQ and Flameboss are tied in hardware, then the excellent product support and engagement from FB would decide it for me.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options

Just hang this picture in your BGE showroom...the FB300 looks right at home on an egg! Love the app and the people at Flame Boss.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Just hang this picture in your BGE showroom...the FB300 looks right at home on an egg! Love the app and the people at Flame Boss.

Forget the FB, love your nest.  
    Did you make it?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options

Had some Marathon 8" flat free casters left from a YS640 comp cart build, so I fabricated this nest from a piece of 1/4" flat plate.  Easy build, and takes up little space in the shed.  I can roll it in & out with little effort.

My next build is going to use same brand and size of casters, but I want to build a "Stumps" style gravity feed insulated cabinet smoker.   The XL is just too small for most of my weekend cooks, and I can build a large gravity feed for less than the new price of a XXL!

Will use the XL for steaks, salmon on plank, and pizza cooks!  Might have to mod the FB300 to adapt to the gravity feed (upgrade fan) when it's done.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    Options

Had some Marathon 8" flat free casters left from a YS640 comp cart build, so I fabricated this nest from a piece of 1/4" flat plate.  Easy build, and takes up little space in the shed.  I can roll it in & out with little effort.

My next build is going to use same brand and size of casters, but I want to build a "Stumps" style gravity feed insulated cabinet smoker.   The XL is just too small for most of my weekend cooks, and I can build a large gravity feed for less than the new price of a XXL!

Will use the XL for steaks, salmon on plank, and pizza cooks!  Might have to mod the FB300 to adapt to the gravity feed (upgrade fan) when it's done.

You did a great job.
    I look forward to seeing your gravity feed.  Please post it.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• piperpilot
    piperpilot Posts: 26
    Options
    @yooper829 Curtis from SMOBOT here.  Sorry I missed this thread the first time around.  If you would be interested in checking out SMOBOT, send me a PM or contact us via our website.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options

Will you be using one of these for your gravity feed smoker?

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1212997/free-tanks-cabinets-for-smoker-builds#latest