Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy lump... Thoughts? IMO garbage

Options
Wth is going on with this stuff.  Smoky, loses heat quick.  Why is it on the market?

Comments

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I think that’s the general consensus. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    And yet, that's all @fishlessman says he uses. I intend to try a bag soon. If I ever have, I don't remember it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My least favorite charcoal, briqutte or lump, I have ever tried, in almost 60 years.

I would much rather cook over a campfire, than use Cowboy on anything, I would serve to friends, family or myself.

Cowboy lump takes the word "SUCKS" to an entirely deeper level.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Never heard of it......

ROCKWOOD 4 LIFE
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    I have some, it all gets mixed in with other kinds I have in a big plastic container that holds about 30lbs. Of lump. I could have up to 3 kinds in the container. Never clean my egg out and put one kind in, it comes out of the container so it's always a mixture.
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    I've used it once. It popped and sparked like the 4th of July. Last time I used it, and prob won't ever again. Esp since RO is now 9.97 @ Home Depot for 15.4 lbs! 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I have had no issues at all with it. Only 3-4 bags last several years and while it didn't strike me as anything special it didn't give any problems either.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Best lump out there.
    Options
    @nolaegghead -  you may be able to reverse time-warp this thread to Friday night.  After all, I don't recall a lump thread last night.
    Independent of that, I have given many brands of a lump a run.  Figure personal eggsperience counts.  But Cowboy and Frontier are the two bottom-dwellers I have wasted $$ on.  I may have had a one-off bad batch but with so many other options out there, no second chance from me.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Costco sells an easy-to-carry 34lb bag of rocks and charcoal dust if anyone has any dumpster space available.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Because it's cheaper, I use it for the occasional high temp burn (like if an Egg gets moldy).
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I quit using it when I found plywood scraps mixed in. That was many years ago. It may be fine now, but there are other brands that are easy to find that have a better reputation.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Hating Cowboy is hating John Wayne and America.  You haters should be ashamed.  It is the best lump on the planet.
    Theophan said:
    Because it's cheaper, I use it for the occasional high temp burn (like if an Egg gets moldy).
    That’s quite smart, assuming you can get it to high enough temps for the burn.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @SaltySam I see the wizards at Costco conveniently placed it next to Flex Tech trash bags. :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Hating Cowboy is hating John Wayne and America.  You haters should be ashamed.  It is the best lump on the planet.
    Niche-Niche :lol:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    Costco sells an easy-to-carry 34lb bag of rocks and charcoal dust if anyone has any dumpster space available.  
    One would think that Costco would carry a better product like Kamado Joe since they allow them to setup in their stores for special appearances.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Trump just announced he uses Cowboy Lump.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Everything I ever cooked over Cowboy could’ve benefitted from ketchup.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    It makes the best, you believe me, well done steak.
     I get some nice rocks from Cowboy. no other lump puts as many prizes in theirs.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I concur.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    SaltySam said:
    One would think that Costco would carry a better product like Kamado Joe since they allow them to setup in their stores for special appearances.
    Right, but it is all about the profit margin.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    SaltySam said:
    Right, but it is all about the profit margin.
    Costco makes almost all of its profits from membership fees not from the markup on the stuff in their stores.

There's also a lot of regional variability on what is sold in their stores. I don't recall ever seeing Cowboy lump in mine.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I tried it once, a very long time ago (10-15 years?), it was such a bad experience, I have not and will never give it a second chance.

Everytime I am at Costco, and I see someone in one of the three stages of decision making regarding lump charcoal, I provide some variety of intervention to keep them from realizing what bitter disappointment actually means.

I must admit, I am shocked Cowboy is even allowed inside the Costco walls. Everybody makes mistakes, I suppose. This is a humiliating, bad one, perhaps the worst ever.

Except, of course, for letting me in.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I tried it once, a very long time ago (10-15 years?), it was such a bad experience, I have not and will never give it a second chance.

Everytime I am at Costco, and I see someone in one of the three stages of decision making regarding lump charcoal, I provide some variety of intervention to keep them from realizing what bitter disappointment actually means.

I must admit, I am shocked Cowboy is even allowed inside the Costco walls. Everybody makes mistakes, I suppose. This is a humiliating, bad one, perhaps the worst ever.

Except, of course, for letting me in.
    cowboy has changed a few times and i suspect its different in different parts of the country. back 10/15 years ago it was tongue and groove floor scraps, they stopped that when the housing/building market crashed.  the stuff im getting now looks like royal oak but it takes a little longer to burn clean. not sure why some are not getting hot fires, it burns to 1200 dome temps like the rest of the stuff
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FHawk
    FHawk Posts: 10
    Options
    About ten years ago I read a review of about 30 lump charcoals.  Cowboy came in 26th.   In my own personal experience, I have found partially burned 2x4's, 1x2's, fiberglass insulation, and the coveted pet rocks.  Lately I have been using Publix brand lump charcoal, it's pretty cheap and very dense.   Burns forever.  Royal Oak is a good lump charcoal too, IMHO.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Small BGE, Large Grill Dome, Large Kamado (2), Small Imperial Kamado.
    Huntsville, AL
    RTR !
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    It is so bad, I heard they are renaming it "Cleveland Browns Lump Charcoal"
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I bought a bag it of necessity a couple weeks back, cooked on a Weber Smokey Joe, mini.  I was a little tipsy, I didn't notice a thing.  I could have eaten rocks and liked it, I was hungry/tipsy.  Then I hit golf balls into the lake at midnight, cowboy style.  
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.