Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brie

Options
never had one stink so bad, pure ammonia, how do you avoid that or is it just luck of the draw
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    May be luck of the draw. Have never had that problem . Baked a brie en croute this weekend and it was fine. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    caliking said:
    May be luck of the draw. Have never had that problem . Baked a brie en croute this weekend and it was fine. 

ive never had the problem either, was a different brand than usual.  did the pastry wrap with walnuts bourbon, brown sugar, honey. ive done maybe 50 brie over the last few years, never had this happen, it smelled on my hands for 2 days. usually get the president brie, this time it was this one, ended up tossing it

fukahwee maine

• EggObsessed
    Options
    I've had the ammonia smell happen several times.  It usually happens when I buy too big of a piece at Costco and the ammonia smell happens as it gets older. It's always fine, and smells good, when I open it, but over time, it goes bad.  I, myself, never will eat it once it gets the ammonia smell.  I can't imagine that that could be healthy.

Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    caliking said:

Never knew there was a fancy name for Baked Brie. gotta love when you think you have a unique recipe then find out the actual name and that ****'s all over the internet!! Oh well. Still delicious even if my mama didn't invent it!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    caliking said:

ive never had the problem either, was a different brand than usual.  did the pastry wrap with walnuts bourbon, brown sugar, honey. ive done maybe 50 brie over the last few years, never had this happen, it smelled on my hands for 2 days. usually get the president brie, this time it was this one, ended up tossing it

President is very mild by French Brie standards. This one is goat, explaining the stronger aroma. Goat's cheese can stink really badly.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options
    Eoin said:
    caliking said:

President is very mild by French Brie standards. This one is goat, explaining the stronger aroma. Goat's cheese can stink really badly.
    im usually good with the stinky cheeses, this one was on sale, i bought 2, not sure what to do with the other one. something went wrong with this one, it was a pure concentrated chemical smell
    fukahwee maine

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The goat can get funky for sure. Could be a combo of goat and age but goat is stinkier than cow on day 1. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    Options

The goat can get funky for sure. Could be a combo of goat and age but goat is stinkier than cow on day 1. 
    ive eaten plenty of goat cheese, as bad as the smell was, the taste was even worse. my old moldy gym socks would have tasted better =)  i wish i took a better look, my kitchen lights are not working right now, just two under counter lights
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:

Never knew there was a fancy name for Baked Brie. gotta love when you think you have a unique recipe then find out the actual name and that ****'s all over the internet!! Oh well. Still delicious even if my mama didn't invent it!
    If it makes you feel better, your recent thread is what inspired me to make it again. Used fillo dough though, because that's what SWBO bought. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't store brie in your pants, it should be refrigerated.
    Options
    but my undies were clean, my momma always told me to wear clean ones, you just never know. this brie smelt more like your mammas undies =)
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I don’t think storage was the goal here so much as use:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It is not just brie that does this, but also other "bloomy" soft ripened cheeses. If they are stored in a wrapping that does not let them breath, the ammonia making process accelerates till the cheese is unedible.  I had a couple of fine US artisanal disks of brie like cheese. The 1st one was fine. Left the other 2 wrapped for maybe 9 months. Complete garbage. I suppose if I had un-packaged those, and kept them for maybe 4 - 6 weeks, they might have been as good as the 1st.

FWIW, I've never had this problem w. Camembert. The disks go dry with time, but I've never noticed ammonia from them. Or maybe the brands I've bought are wrapped so that they do breathe.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I don’t think storage was the goal here so much as use:

We'll just say you ate it.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I love Brie, and have never been knocked down by ammonia funk. 

Brie can get funky, expectantly so, but not to the point that it's repugnant. 

Bad batch? 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Sounds like you got some stanky brie.  Did you buy it in a particularly bad part of town on a particularly bad street corner?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95