Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron Dutch oven or ceramic coated?

Options
2»

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Go old school.  Ci all the way
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you plan on using it indoors as well, get a CI DO without feet. It was enough of a pain to use mine in the oven, that I bought another footless one. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    Great advice as always!   Many thanks
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I see the  cast (non enameled) as a more versatile vessel. I use mine camping as well as on the egg. The one thing to be aware of (Fishless points out) that acidity from tomatoes can erode your seasoning. I use mine for cooking and remove when served. It is not advised as a storage vessel once you complete your meal. You can't go wrong with either, but for my money, the cast is more versatile and easier to keep clean. I am in the straight up cast camp myself.
    I wouldn't worry about acidic foods.  I wouldn't boil vinegar in it, but other than that it isn't a real problem. 

One of the myths about cast iron is acidic foods like tomatoes can break down the seasoning.  This is false.  The seasoning is polymerized oil, it's pretty tough stuff, technically a plastic. The seasoning protects the iron from the food, and where it's missing (chipped, scraped, etc), it is true acidic foods leach iron out of the pot faster. 

Also, tomatoes aren't particularly acidic compared to other fruits.

https://foodsafety.wisc.edu/business_food/files/Approximate_pH.pdf

I don’t disagree with cooking in cast iron re: acidic foods. My point was around storage...I.e leave the leftovers in the cast and refridgerate. In my case, the dish took on a strong iron taste and it broke down the seasoning. I still cook with it though. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I see the  cast (non enameled) as a more versatile vessel. I use mine camping as well as on the egg. The one thing to be aware of (Fishless points out) that acidity from tomatoes can erode your seasoning. I use mine for cooking and remove when served. It is not advised as a storage vessel once you complete your meal. You can't go wrong with either, but for my money, the cast is more versatile and easier to keep clean. I am in the straight up cast camp myself.
    I wouldn't worry about acidic foods.  I wouldn't boil vinegar in it, but other than that it isn't a real problem. 

One of the myths about cast iron is acidic foods like tomatoes can break down the seasoning.  This is false.  The seasoning is polymerized oil, it's pretty tough stuff, technically a plastic. The seasoning protects the iron from the food, and where it's missing (chipped, scraped, etc), it is true acidic foods leach iron out of the pot faster. 

Also, tomatoes aren't particularly acidic compared to other fruits.

https://foodsafety.wisc.edu/business_food/files/Approximate_pH.pdf

I don’t disagree with cooking in cast iron re: acidic foods. My point was around storage...I.e leave the leftovers in the cast and refridgerate. In my case, the dish took on a strong iron taste and it broke down the seasoning. I still cook with it though. 
    I agree with ya there.
    Options
    20stone said:
    The feet are really designed to be used over live fires, allowing you to set it on coals without falling over.  I would go slick bottomed
    True but a side benefit is the lids for the ones with feet normally have a lip so you can put coals on top. Sort of why it's called an "oven".
  • Matt1969
    Options
     I have and use both in the Egg . I would suggest after cooking in the regular cast iron anything tomato based to remove it. You will not notice a taste difference . I use enamled cast iron also . Zero difference in my experience and Ive cooked many tomato  based chili in both. 
    Cambridge, Ontario , Canada . XL BGE
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I picked up a cast aluminum pot with non stick coating for $1 at goodwill for chili. Use it all the time!
    Wow!  I sure recognize that aluminum pot paint job.  When my bride and I first got married (44 years ago), we had a full set of cookware just like it.  Long gone now, but good stuff.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    I picked up a cast aluminum pot with non stick coating for $1 at goodwill for chili. Use it all the time!
    Wow!  I sure recognize that aluminum pot paint job.  When my bride and I first got married (44 years ago), we had a full set of cookware just like it.  Long gone now, but good stuff.
    Us also when we first started keeping house 34 years ago...Good stuff!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We have a donkey-load of Magnalite from way back in the bronze age.
    Options
    My decades old Lodge still looks like I always remember-black. There have been enameled cast iron, the ex must have taken them, they always had smoke stains on the outside.
    Cooking on the coast
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    My great grandmother's Lodge corn stick pan is still doing fine. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    My decades old Lodge still looks like I always remember-black. There have been enameled cast iron, the ex must have taken them, they always had smoke stains on the outside.
    Not that it matters to you, but you could tell the EX that this will clean up the enameled CI stuff like new.