Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any tips for using the Meater?

Options
Finally received the Meater (wireless thermometer) I ordered long ago and thought I'd try it out today in a chicken on the BGEtisserie.
Any thoughts from those who might have used this gadget?
Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.

Comments

• OhioEgger
    Options
    OK, just did my first Meater experiment so here's the report. I had been pretty skeptical after waiting nearly six months beyond the promised delivery date, but I have to say I love it.

Worked really well, just as advertised. A very nice benefit is that I could leave the Egg covered the whole time, instead of opening it now and then to stick a Thermapen in to check the IT. Final IT was within five degrees of the Thermapen, so it's accurate enough.

Very nice gadget, and I'm happy I got it. Time will tell how it holds up over multiple cooks, but it seems solid.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    5 degrees????? That is a lot assuming you were sticking it in the exact same spot
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Not the exact same spot and two minutes apart. The Thermapen read several degrees higher, but it was after I had pulled it off the Egg to rest, which is exactly what you would expect. I'm sure the Meater's reading was good enough.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Not the exact same spot and two minutes apart. The Thermapen read several degrees higher, but it was after I had pulled it off the Egg to rest, which is exactly what you would expect. I'm sure the Meater's reading was good enough.
    Sounds more like it. Good to know, I've been interested in these since they popped up. Would work perfectly in my kbq as its hard to get a wired probe in there. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Sounds more like it. Good to know, I've been interested in these since they popped up. Would work perfectly in my kbq as its hard to get a wired probe in there. 
    Easiest way to get probes into your KBQ is to drill out/enlarge one of the existing holes at one of the corners.

I know some folks just feed them thru the door but I didn't want to chance messing up the probe cables given how snug my door fits.

I went ahead and drilled and silicone grommetted a hole to get probes inside.

I wonder how well the Meater probes would transmit thru the steel enclosure of a KBQ - I imagine the range would be quite limited.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    OK, just did my first Meater experiment so here's the report. I had been pretty skeptical after waiting nearly six months beyond the promised delivery date, but I have to say I love it.

Worked really well, just as advertised. A very nice benefit is that I could leave the Egg covered the whole time, instead of opening it now and then to stick a Thermapen in to check the IT. Final IT was within five degrees of the Thermapen, so it's accurate enough.

Very nice gadget, and I'm happy I got it. Time will tell how it holds up over multiple cooks, but it seems solid.
    Nice! Glad you finally got one and it seems to be working as advertised. Let us know how it goes a few months down the road.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 908
    Options
    Just used the Meater for the third time, and it worked perfectly. Very happy with the results of a roast beef.

I see that they are apparently ready for normal ordering now, at least for the basic Meater unit, so I'm happy to recommend it.
    https://meater.com/shop/
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I am going on 2 years waiting for the meater block (4 probes). Still hopeful to receive.. not sure I will ever be able to recommend given the delays and lack of professionalism from the company. We'll see.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Sayfore
    Sayfore Posts: 10
    Options
    i have done 5 briskets, ranging from 12-17 lbs...best i have ever made...the Meater is simple and works well...I just ordered the 4 probe block so i can do more than i meat at a time
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Can you calibrate the Meater if the temp is off? Put it and the thermapen in a glass of water and see if they read the same temp.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,545
    Options
    you meat 'er you brought 'er..

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Are they planning on developing a vegetarian temperature probe?
    Options
    They do offer the vegan option. I'ts an extra $10 and they just scrape off the "M" so it becomes an "EATER". Anticipated delivery date is December 2021.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Sayfore said:
    i have done 5 briskets, ranging from 12-17 lbs...best i have ever made...the Meater is simple and works well...I just ordered the 4 probe block so i can do more than i meat at a time

You will be waiting a while on the block.  I still have not gotten mine from the original order.  May see it by summer if I am lucky.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm so glad I gave up using leave in thermos. Poking the meat with my pen every 30 minutes or so when it should be close is much more fun.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    They do offer the vegan option. I'ts an extra $10 and they just scrape off the "M" so it becomes an "EATER". Anticipated delivery date is December 3021.
    FTFY.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 908
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    They do offer the vegan option. I'ts an extra $10 and they just scrape off the "M" so it becomes an "EATER". Anticipated delivery date is December 2021.
    Just heard they will be accepting pre-orders soon for delivery on April 1st.