Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Rib Success, Sort Of

Options
Finally was able to get a couple of slabs of beef chuck ribs. Seasoned them up and got the egg stabilized at 225, raised indirect. I was surprised how quickly they cooked and passed the toothpick test. I was looking for fall off the bone, but did not achieve that. They had great flavor though. Any suggestions? These were on for around 3 hours. Can't find plate ribs around here anywhere, so had to settle for chuck.

Large BGE
Greenville, SC

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,064
    Options
    I think you probably just pulled them off a bit early.  Three hours is pretty fast for these, and it doesn't look like you got much in the way of char compared to what I'm used to.  

You could also try putting them on the JoeTisserie, of course.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Ribs look great @Dredger
    Phoenix 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I go at 250, raised indirect for 4.5 hours, then lighty sauce and go for another 30 minutes. 

Nice plate pic....no forks! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Options
    I've never had fall off the bone beef ribs, even cooking for 5+ hours.  I would think if you foiled, you could get that(?)...
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You may wish to reach out to @lousubcap. He has the beef ribs down for the process, if you were not totally satisfied with yours.

They looke delicious. The sides look awesome as well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Thanks @JohnInCarolina, I'll try increasing the time next time. I was afraid of turning them into hockey pucks like I did the individual ribs. Actually, I did consider the Joetisserie, but the AR was already set up in the egg, so went with that. Thanks @blasting, I appreciate that. @THEBuckeye, thanks for the suggestion. And yes, no forks. @Chris8938, it's a work in progress. @Eggcelsior, you're funny, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I agree.  Looks like they could of used more time.  should have had more pull back on the bone and bark. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Dredger
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion @YukonRon. I'm probably going to throw the remaining slab into the kitchen clock with a little beef broth to try and finish it off a little better. Flavor was great, just not as done as I would have liked. Thanks @YEMTrey.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,532
    Options
    Late to the party (road-trip today).  I have no secrets with beef ribs (chuck short (can't find plate either) or beef back.  I run around 250-260*F on the dome and figure around 6-7+ hours for the shorts and 5+/- for the back ribs.  Good bone pull back lets you know things are moving right along but for me it's the good 'ol toothpick test for the win.  Probe the meat and no resistance means you are there.  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Dredger @lousubcap has far more experience than me so give weight to his response. I too have had issues getting beef short ribs to come out really tender. My ultimate solution is to wrap them in foil for some period of the cook. My reasoning is that braised short ribs are a thing - and have been for a long time. I feel that unless you are buying prime grade ribs with a lot of fat, then the ribs need a little help. Wrapping them for an hour or more will braise/ steam them enough to get the tenderness we want. That's my attack plan. My disclaimer is that I have not implemented this method enough to guarantee that it's a solid plan of attack. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've never had or tried to get fall off the bone beef ribs. I just look for probe like butta and when they got there they've been as good as any beef I've ever had. Still had a little chew to them. But could basically cut them with a fork. What you have there looks pretty doggone good to me. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I need to try these soon! Looking good. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap, for the most part, the toothpick test told me they were done, however, they weren't as tender as I wanted. I decided that I would put them back on the egg for a couple of hours instead of finishing them in the oven. We'll see. I appreciate your advice. @SciAggie, I'll foil them when I put them back on tomorrow to see how it goes. Having to work with the ribs that I can find. Might be chasing a unicorn, lol. Thanks, @XC242, the flavor was great and I'll see how it works adding a few hours to the cook. I appreciate that @Johnkitchens. The great thing about the egg is that you can always drop back and punt. Supposed to be pouring rain, but that's never stopped us before.  =)
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Chuck short ribs are leaner than plate, but they're usually the thickest.  Since they have less fat and more connective tissue, they benefit from a braise, so foiling is a good intermediate step.
    Options
    Thanks @nolaegghead. That makes sense. Appreciate the input. Will foil them and put them back on later today.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Getting back on the horse I see. Those look good to me. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Even using plate ribs, I've only ever had 1 fall off the bone. And as above, the cook time is usually more like 4 hours.

Where I live, butcher shops are the only reliable place to find plate ribs. Only seen a few over the years at local chains.

The chuck ribs are much tougher. They can be nicely tenderized in an SV. Around 135F for 48 - 72 hours. They nearly fall apart coming out of the SV. The a quick sear, maybe 5 minutes direct at 450+. Black on the outside, red on the inside, and the meat kind of pops when bitten.
  • Dredger
    Options
    Getting back on the horse I see

You know me @northGAcock, I'll stay on that horse until I get it right. Thanks. That's the Virgo in me. @gdenby, still contemplating the SV subject. Just not there yet.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC