Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIP Glen...

Options

Comments

• News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    We just didn't know he would really go. RIP
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Another sad day.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I had an uncle by marriage, not blood, who was his cousin. Last name was the same.  They looked liked twins. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    RIP Glen
    O-Town, FL

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I realize he was from a different era than many eggers here - but my wife and I have always enjoyed his songs and contribution to our era! RIP GC!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Loved him in True Grit.  "She draws that lawyer like a gun" - or something similar.  
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I saw him at AZ Biltmore hotel years ago.  Not a big country music fan except for Johnny Cash, Hank Jr and Sr and Patsy Cline but GC lived in Phx for a little over 1/4 his life I think and he was always gracious with fans.  You can't help but feel for the guy when he was diagnosed and when he had his DUI in phx.

His goodbye tour was good for fans and hopefully his income at the time.
    Just saw on news he played guitar for Elvis in Viva and for Righteous Bros Lovin Feeling.  Never knew that and it is pretty cool.
    RIP Rhinestone Cowboy!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

The company I previously owned designed his phx kitchen.  I know I met him, and wish I could pass along a good story.  For the life of me though, I have little recollection of it.

RIP GC

Phoenix 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I am a lineman for the county.........
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
     Rhinestone Cowboy, so many others... but that song will always be the one I think of when I hear his name. What a talent, seriously good guitarist.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Alzheimer's is nasty.  RIP.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Glen was a member of The Wrecking crew. Documentary on Netflix if you are interested. RIP Glen.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    I realize he was from a different era than many eggers here - but my wife and I have always enjoyed his songs and contribution to our era! RIP GC!
    Well said.
    Rip

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    It must have been an Egg....

I dip my cup of soup back from a gurglin' cracklin' cauldron
    In some train yard
    New Albany, Ohio 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    For those who have not listened to this video, This last song chronicled his struggle with Alzheimer's

“I’m still here, but yet I’m gone / I don’t play guitar or sing my songs / They never defined who I am / The man that loves you ’til the end / You’re the last person I will love / You’re the last face I will recall / And best of all, I’m not gonna miss you.”

RIP
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    "Southern Nights" is one of my favorites. I like Alan Toussaint's version where he does the recitation too, he actually wrote the song.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • volminimax
    volminimax Posts: 119
    Options

The Wichita Line-man is no longer on the line....RIP Glen

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• Flatfoot
    Flatfoot Posts: 96
    Options
    An amazing talent, gone way too soon!  RIP, Glen!
    LBGE, MM, & Mini. Weber Smokey Joe for a knockabout. 
    "Honestly, Honey!  Just one more Egg, and one more gun, and I'll be done!"
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Interesting interview about Glen with Alice Cooper......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6q2hsdXenQ&t=173s

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ShinerBock
    Options
    Galveston....will mourn you but will celebrate your Life.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I remember watching his show on television in the late 60s. Always been a fan of his music. My heart goes out to his family. Alzheimer's is a tough disease on the person that has it and their family. RIP, Wichita Lineman.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    While I never got to see GC perform in person, I  felt some remote connection. He often sang "Gentle On My Mind" which was written by the late John Hartford. Besides his singing and song writing talents Hartford was also a licensed river boat captain. For years every summer he piloted the paddle wheeler, Julia Belle Swain, which operated here out of Peoria, IL. The JBS took hour cruises on the Illinois River here, but also overnight excursions up to a state park known as Starved Rock. My wife and I treated my parents to that overnight tour and twice during the trip Hartford would perform singing Gentle On My Mind. Somewhere I have a picture of my late Father with Hartford in his trademark black bowler hat up in the wheel house. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    RRP said:
    While I never got to see GC perform in person, I  felt some remote connection. He often sang "Gentle On My Mind" which was written by the late John Hartford. Besides his singing and song writing talents Hartford was also a licensed river boat captain. For years every summer he piloted the paddle wheeler, Julia Belle Swain, which operated here out of Peoria, IL. The JBS took hour cruises on the Illinois River here, but also overnight excursions up to a state park known as Starved Rock. My wife and I treated my parents to that overnight tour and twice during the trip Hartford would perform singing Gentle On My Mind. Somewhere I have a picture of my late Father with Hartford in his trademark black bowler hat up in the wheel house. 
    Great memory, @RRP. John Hartford was GC's Bernie Taupin. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    One of the greatest guitarists ever... who sadly, by the end, didn't even know what a guitar was. I always enjoyed his performances not only because of his talent, but because he truly seemed to love what he was doing. 

And he could play a little. This on a 12 string no less! Hi yo, Silver...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jjTI4VRX39Y

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Gad the pleasure of having him on board as a passenger years ago.  What a fine gentleman!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Re: Above (Had)
  • Randall_Lee
    Options
    If there are any old Viet Nam ere sailors around that rode around Yankie station on the carriers will remember the Wichita Lineman. The USS Wichita was a supply ship that refueled and rearmed us while on station. Soon as unrep was completed and we broke way they would be blasting out the song as they pulled away. 
    RIP you're in a much nicer place now.
    Niceville, Fl
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I saw him at AZ Biltmore hotel years ago.  Not a big country music fan except for Johnny Cash, Hank Jr and Sr and Patsy Cline but GC lived in Phx for a little over 1/4 his life I think and he was always gracious with fans.  You can't help but feel for the guy when he was diagnosed and when he had his DUI in phx.

His goodbye tour was good for fans and hopefully his income at the time.
    Just saw on news he played guitar for Elvis in Viva and for Righteous Bros Lovin Feeling.  Never knew that and it is pretty cool.
    RIP Rhinestone Cowboy!

It has been reported that he played on more than 600 recordings in 1 year for the likes of Sinatra, Righteous Bros, Beach Boys and was a "go to guitarist"  and a member of the famous Wrecking Crew - a group of studio musicians that played for a lot of the greats.