Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is Brisket Really That Good or Are We Chasing the Challenge?

Options

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    buzzvol said:
    I have very rarely had brisket, and I acknowledge that I probably have not had a good one.  It has always seemed like a smokey pot roast flavor.  I am assuming that if I could make it to Brisket Camp I could find out what I have been missing.
    @buzzvol, FWIW I see you are in Lawrenceville. I recall when there was a "GA BBQ" thread a while ago someone mentioned Moonies in Flowery Branch for authentic Texas Brisket. 

http://gabarbecue.blogspot.com/2012/03/moonies-texas-barbecue-flowery-branch.html

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,221
    Options
    buzzvol said:
    I have very rarely had brisket, and I acknowledge that I probably have not had a good one.  It has always seemed like a smokey pot roast flavor.  I am assuming that if I could make it to Brisket Camp I could find out what I have been missing.
    @buzzvol, FWIW I see you are in Lawrenceville. I recall when there was a "GA BBQ" thread a while ago someone mentioned Moonies in Flowery Branch for authentic Texas Brisket. 

http://gabarbecue.blogspot.com/2012/03/moonies-texas-barbecue-flowery-branch.html
    I went there based on recommendations that it was good. The brisket sucks. The only decent brisket in Atlanta is Heirloom Market. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    I think a place like Franklin's is missing an opportunity here.

They should sell a four or five slice "Pitmasters Sensor Calibration Pack" so that we mere mortal bbqer's can have a known reference standard to work towards.

Vac packed, frozen, mailed overnight FedEx - I'd gladly pay $30, $40, maybe a little more  for that since I'm never going to go to his place in Austin.

On the other hand, once I compare my brisket to his I may just end up sticking with grilling hot dogs. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    buzzvol said:

I went there based on recommendations that it was good. The brisket sucks. The only decent brisket in Atlanta is Heirloom Market. 
    Good to know- thanks! I still need to try Heirloom Market. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I think a place like Franklin's is missing an opportunity here.

They should sell a four or five slice "Pitmasters Sensor Calibration Pack" so that we mere mortal bbqer's can have a known reference standard to work towards.

Vac packed, frozen, mailed overnight FedEx - I'd gladly pay $30, $40, maybe a little more  for that since I'm never going to go to his place in Austin.

On the other hand, once I compare my brisket to his I may just end up sticking with grilling hot dogs. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss :)

That would be cool. I think you can actually mail order a brisket from him now for like $100. I've heard the packaged ones are very good by people who have eaten there and took one home with.

It's not super hard to do one or 2 at a time like he does, especially since I got the KBQ. The trick is doing 100 every day 6 days a week, all year long, rain or shine. That's what makes him a wizard. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    actually they are take out only. I'll pick one up ship you one though. They are $110 in cryo. 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    The only decent brisket in Atlanta is Heirloom Market. 
    Wow, that's minutes from my office, but I have never been.  Anybody up for an Atl BGEforum Lunch and Learn?  The topic will be brisket tasting.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Heirloom is run by a guy with a Korean wife so there's some Asian influence with the sides. She used to run a Korean place down in Druid Hills/Emory area but I heard it was closed. The pulled pork sandwich with the Asian slaw is great. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    actually they are take out only. I'll pick one up ship you one though. They are $110 in cryo. 
    Thanks for the offer.

I'm better off not knowing tho since I really don't want to just grill hot dogs. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
     I was raised on BBQ chicken (grilled chicken with BBQ sauce) and oven cooked ribs. Pretty mass market stuff. When I first had Texas Style Brisket it was an epiphany. It was what BBQ was supposed to taste like. So yes, it is that good.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited August 2017
    Options
    buzzvol said:

B's Cracklin BBQ has the really good consistent brisket up there with Heirloom Markets.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Holy hell I might would take you up on that. 

Little Rock, AR

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Holy hell I might would take you up on that. 
    Any time. Just say the word. probably close to $100 to ship it but still cheaper than a trip to the ATX for brisket. I'll look at what the brontosaurus brisket I shipped to Scottie and Grim cost and let you know. Should be quite a bit less than that since those were like 30 lbs and I had to build custom boxes.  These are 5 and I can ship in a SRF box I think I have saved. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Will do!  Thanks!!!

Little Rock, AR

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,977
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Will do!  Thanks!!!
    I would either need to freeze it and ship it ground or ship it defrosted overnight. I shipped theirs frozen ground and they showed up in 2 days still cold but defrosted. Again, in a box I built so I'm sure it wasn't textbook conditions. I'm guessing you would be close to $200 all in ($139 with tax plus $50-$60 to pack and ship it. Glad to do it, just say the word. I may go pick one up for a tailgate party the first week or 2 of September. I'll let you know what I think. Someone on here took ate there and took one home on the plane and said they were very similar. If that is the case, that would be a score. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,475
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - you need to get a grande sized SRF box and see if you can also deal one from Valentina's and if room, I had a great experience at LaBarbeque as well.  Great gesture I will add.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Will do!  Thanks!!!
    I would either need to freeze it and ship it ground or ship it defrosted overnight. I shipped theirs frozen ground and they showed up in 2 days still cold but defrosted. Again, in a box I built so I'm sure it wasn't textbook conditions. I'm guessing you would be close to $200 all in ($139 with tax plus $50-$60 to pack and ship it. Glad to do it, just say the word. I may go pick one up for a tailgate party the first week or 2 of September. I'll let you know what I think. Someone on here took ate there and took one home on the plane and said they were very similar. If that is the case, that would be a score. 
    Absolutely let me know what you think. 

Little Rock, AR

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - you need to get a grande sized SRF box and see if you can also deal one from Valentina's and if room, I had a great experience at LaBarbeque as well.  Great gesture I will add.  
    I would do it but they don't sell them whole in cryo like Franklin. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Brisket on the Egg? Tried it a few times and not a fan.

Brisket on a dedicated smoker? Big difference and I'm in. 

Putting flame proof jacket on now....... =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • eightyfive
    eightyfive Posts: 125
    Options
    Sort of agree and disagree ....it's great when done well but alot of work to execute.is it the Holy Grail? Don't think so but I still love the thrill of trying to nail one. 
    BGE L, Minimax, iGrill 2, Kick Ash Basket, CGS AR,  various and sundry overpriced accessories...
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Never been to Texas. Do not cook brisket often due to my egg being on a wooden deck. Overnights scare me. I do enjoy smoked brisket, though. And I have a SRF in the freezer now waiting for a "special" occasion. I will wake up real early one day and get it done with the crutch at elevated temps if I must once I get enough smoke on it.

Some seem to have the same dilemma that I had when I was a young advancing skier. I got carried away with skiing while in college. Would get 40-50 days in each season and the mountains were 4-7 hour away from me. Being in the Northeast I skied on mostly hardpack and plenty of ice.  When offered a chance to go out West to ski much bigger/better mountains I always declined. I was worried that better conditions would spoil the joy of skiing closer to home. I knew I did not have the time nor the money to ski often enough if going West.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Shineristhewiser
    Options
    Wow!?!? I'm not sure I'm in the correct group. Nothing better than moist fatty beef surrounded by crispy peppery bark. Brisket was king in South and central Texas way before Aaron Franklin. It has always been a way of life here.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,852
    Options
    Wow!?!? I'm not sure I'm in the correct group. Nothing better than moist fatty beef surrounded by crispy peppery bark. Brisket was king in South and central Texas way before Aaron Franklin. It has always been a way of life here.
    @Shineristhewiser, you're in the right group. Many of us agree with you. Most of the rest are just ignorant. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• buzzvol
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @Shineristhewiser, you're in the right group. Many of us agree with you. Most of the rest are just ignorant. 
    I resemble that remark.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • buzzvol
    Options
    Heirloom the brisket ordered.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    buzzvol said:
    Heirloom the brisket ordered.
    Hope you get some point 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    @kwdickert , it's a little bit of everything you said.

I have made fantastic brisket that falls apart in your mouth and tastes delightful...  but when I've achieved that, it's only been half of the brisket that was cooked perfect.  The other half, I guess that's why people make burnt ends.

I've also made dry tough briskets (with a good smoke ring that looks pretty in pictures) and I've made good briskets fresh, but dry by the time I serve them.

It's a fickle cut, for sure.  The bigger the cut, the better the results, but that gets quite expensive.

Restaurants are the same way. I very rarely have good brisket in a restaurant no matter how much people rave about it. It is usually dry slices of beef that is saved by the sauce.

I have, however, had fantastic brisket made in a slow cooker that is juicy, repeatable, and keeps well.   On a grill, it's just something we chase, I guess.  I know there are people here who have it mastered and I have no idea how they afford all the beef it took to get their skills up.  ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • buzzvol
    Options

Wow!  The bark combination of pepper and intense smoke favor was quite a kick.  Easily  pulled apart with a fork.  Some may have considered it a little dry, but it suited me.  Okay, I now get why brisket is such a big deal to so many.  I would put it on level with a really good pulled pork.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • buzzvol
    Options
    @DoubleEgger, I am not sure, but I think it was from the flat.
    Lawrenceville, GA