Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt temp drop

Options

Ok I know this sounds strange but the last two times I have done a pork butt, the temp gets to 170, I then wrap in foil and put back on the egg at 250 and the internal meat temp drops to 155-160 and holds like a stall.  The drop is immediate. I have calibrated my egg therm and used other meat therm. to make sure things are accurate.  I feel like if I had not wrapped the butt it would have reached temp by now.  how would foiling effect internal temp of meat.  It's driving me crazy.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Sounds like you aren't getting the probe back in the same spot after you foil. FWIW, I never foil butts 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Try turning the heat up once you foil. Get to 350 or so, it'll get hit quick
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Are you adding any liquid?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    If you aren't adding liquid and the foil has holes or gaps in it, this may cause the temperature drop. I never foil anything. Seems like too much work and if you don't do it right, it adds very little. Try cranking the temperature to 300 - 315 once it gets to 170. At that temperature, the stall should be very minimal and likely non existent. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Temp drop is not uncommon. And foiling lessens the bark (if you care about that).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I love bacon
    Options
    thanks everyone.  I think I'll abandon my foil experimenting.  It never seems to help much.  Just trying new techniques since my BBQ team came in 24th out of 27 this past fall.  That's right top 25!!! In your face other 2 teams.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Personally , I like the bark soft, so I foil...temp typically drops a few degrees but picks right back up...may delay if your running 225 grate
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    You may want to look at a "hot injection" once you clear the stall. Can impact your finish flavor profile and not lose the bark, if that matters.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.