Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cutco knives

Options
2»

Comments

• larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Options
    I've owned cutco knives since the early eighties, great knives and a good seller will come sharpen them for you with his "Ed Reed" sharpener. Or send them in for a factory sharpen, they replace any broken ones too for free.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I had a set, bought them from a neighbors kid, and cut my fingers, clean and deep, often, using them. They were great, besides the self hacking, of course.
    Great product support from the company too. I would have no problem having them back in my kitchen.
    Never needed the steak knives though, mine are so tender, knives are not needed.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I have a mix match set I got through some trade from a coworker.  She was mid level management for them and had a lot from her sales case.  Are they my favorite knives? No, I love the scissors, and cleaver.  The rest are serviceable but I reach for my Japanese steel more (I like the handles better and they were my first real knives).  They do look nice and my sister has a set too.  Perfect for someone like her who thinks it's ok to run knives through the dishwasher.

japanese knives and IKEA on the left (IKEA are a great value btw) cutco on the right.  

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    There's a pair of Cutco scissors on CL near me for $99.  They may be nice,  but....
    Flint, Michigan
  • Beachloverjoe
    Options
    I have a complete set that are 28 years old ,send in for sharpening about every two years. I use and abuse them everyday. Dropped one on the cement in the back yard and broke the tip, company sent me a brand new knife. Great customer service and great knives
    LBGE , Weber kettle smoker , Sonoma 4 burner gasser, homemade offset barrel smoker
    Egghead forever
    Melvindale,Michigan 

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Had ours for around 17 years.  The scissors were ruined (long story) but they would cut almost anything.  Made quick work of spatching chickens.  I need to get another one.

Sent in the knives 2 years ago for sharpening.  They replaced 2 of them with new knives because the serrations were so worn, they couldn't be sharpened.  

I am sure there are better knives out there for the same or a better price - but these were a gift and they have served me well especially considering I was terrible at sharpening knives. Now that I have a decent sharpener that I am somewhat proficient using,  that isn't such a big deal anymore. 
    XL BGE
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Couple of days ago, decided I needed to finally touch up the edge on my daily use knife. How did I know it was time? I started tearing up going thru a bunch of onions. My question about Cutco is do they ever cut onions w. those serrated edges, and not make one cry?