Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Real Deal Pulled Pork- I finally get it (took long enough)

Options
124»

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    cazzy said:
    This is a very popular sauce that has been floating around the BBQ Brethren for years.  Give it a whirl!!

Shack Attack Sauce

Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. I drink this stuff straight, that's how good it is. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away.

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
    1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
    1 TBS Black Pepper
    1 TBS Kitchen Salt (or 1 1/2 TBS K-Salt)
    2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces total.
    Made this added a little sugar smells real good looking forward to Pork butts tonight
    Here in NC I put my "Vinegar Marinade" on all the pulled  pork you make.  If you marinade it right it does not get mushy and actually taste better a day later... I always do this prior to freezing to have Q on hand. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    cazzy said:
    This is a very popular sauce that has been floating around the BBQ Brethren for years.  Give it a whirl!!

Shack Attack Sauce

Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. I drink this stuff straight, that's how good it is. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away.

1/4 cup water
    1 TBS Black Pepper

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces total.
    Made this added a little sugar smells real good looking forward to Pork butts tonight
    Here in NC I put my "Vinegar Marinade" on all the pulled  pork you make.  If you marinade it right it does not get mushy and actually taste better a day later... I always do this prior to freezing to have Q on hand. 
    So squirt it on right after pulling? I'm having my inlaws over so I'm going to just let everyone pick their own sauce, - they like sweet baby rays :-)

I made this sauce more for me because of the praise it's received here on the forum 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options

Did these turbo their FTC now going to pull in approximately 3hrs :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I would say to Add it to all that you pull to eat today. They can add sweet baby rays on top of it. The vinegar adds a ton to the pork- you can still use regular sauce on top if you want
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Hans61 said:
    cazzy said:

Shack Attack Sauce

1/4 cup water
    1 TBS Black Pepper

So squirt it on right after pulling? I'm having my inlaws over so I'm going to just let everyone pick their own sauce, - they like sweet baby rays :-)

I made this sauce more for me because of the praise it's received here on the forum 
    Your in-laws might like Sweet Baby Ray's Hawaiian sauce. The pineapple adds a nice flavor to the pulled pork not strong, but subtle.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Where else?

Add in Applebee's in Durham and you have it all!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I would say to Add it to all that you pull to eat today. They can add sweet baby rays on top of it. The vinegar adds a ton to the pork- you can still use regular sauce on top if you want
    This is what I do. Add mop during the pull and let people choose whatever they prefer.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This is Myron Mixon's recipe.
    You lost me at Myron... :unamused:

As for saucing NC Q, I pull it and then add eastern NC vinegar sauce to all of it. I don't go overboard. Mix well. Serve and provide more sauce for those who want more.

I would NEVER offer SBR with pulled pork. Ever.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

As for saucing NC Q, I pull it and then add eastern NC vinegar sauce to all of it. I don't go overboard. Mix well. Serve and provide more sauce for those who want more.

I'm not a huge Myron guy either but I do like this and I try to credit people when I post their recipes.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    SBR?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    thetrim said:
    SBR?
    Sweet baby rays bbq sauce
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

Jeez, settle down, you're not cooking for them.  TBH, if my inlaws wanted well done steaks with ketchup, that's what I would give them.
  • Carolina Q
    Options

I'm not a huge Myron guy either but I do like this and I try to credit people when I post their recipes
    I try to credit recipes too, but I would never know if I liked anything Mixon so I will never have to credit him. =) 

However, out of curiosity, I just looked at the recipe you posted and compared it to the one I usually use. Mine has no ketchup and the proportions are slightly different, but the rest of the ingredients are the same. My recipe came from the Weber cookbook that came with my kettle about 30 years ago. Also similar to Elder Ward's. Weber and Ward have no ketchup.

So, leave out the ketchup and you'll be good to go... and you won't have to credit mixon! :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    Options
    i know this is off topic of sauce but..
    I have co worker who cuts his shoulder into quarters a couple hours before the guesstimate cooked time. Then smokes it for approximately another hour or so until final temperature is achieved. I'd have to  say his pulled pork is at the right tenderness for me, not tough and not mushy.
    Has anyone tried this technique on their shoulders?

LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Yessir. I use the vinegar sauce once pulled and stir up nicely. Then use a different sauce once plated
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    edited July 2017
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Where else?

LOL.  I will say that in general the Q in Durham is not great.  The exception is Picnic, which is really good.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Where else?

LOL.  I will say that in general the Q in Durham is not great.  The exception is Picnic, which is really good.  
    hahaha, sorta like the Queen City. As far as I could ever determine, there was NO good Q in Charlotte. I seem to recall finding a place WAY out N Tryon (or maybe it was N Graham) that was tolerable, but being "better than any other place in Charlotte" is fairly meaningless.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hans61
    Options
    @cazzy that sauce was a hit! Even the in laws loved it! To all who haven't tried get on that 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf